Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 10:25 AM

861 posts, read 1,062,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Check out Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island.
What's all the good and bad about OH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 03:04 PM

335 posts, read 421,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Thanks. I have. It's also nice to see flights to the west coast aren't much higher than flights within the east coast. And I assume people use SEA over vancouver airport to avoid potential delays at the border.
It's way cheaper to fly from SEA than YVR. That's why so many Canadians go down to Seattle to fly. Still, the border wait is almost nonexistent if you have NEXUS cards. They're absolutely money well spent, even if you only use them once a year.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:31 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
I see the type of house we want costs around 300k-350k, hopefully the housing market crashes soon. We want a house with a small manageble lawn, sidewalks, even under a HOA is fine. We want low crime away from the potheads or panhandlers. Will rent for a year before buying. I have driven to this area twice but never explored it. I work online a lot.
That is a beautiful area, but sorry to inform you that in general you have the wrong idea about "potheads". There are many who can afford those $350,000 houses, and more. And they may end up living right next to you no matter where you live. Surprise, surprise. Smoking weed does not equal crime.

But to be fair there are criminals who do smoke pot, drink alcohol, and whatever else is out there. That doesn't mean that one causes the other. Panhandlers I can agree with. But to use potheads, and panhandlers in the same breath is amusing.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you can't afford the houses, look at townhomes. You can't make plans hoping the RE market will crash for you.
Especially in that area.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:43 AM

1,195 posts, read 986,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
That is a beautiful area, but sorry to inform you that in general you have the wrong idea about "potheads". There are many who can afford those $350,000 houses, and more. And they may end up living right next to you no matter where you live. Surprise, surprise. Smoking weed does not equal crime.

But to be fair there are criminals who do smoke pot, drink alcohol, and whatever else is out there. That doesn't mean that one causes the other. Panhandlers I can agree with. But to use potheads, and panhandlers in the same breath is amusing.
Every pot smoker I've seen was a lowly motivated individual, it impairs and smells like butt, that's the type of thing I hope to escape raising a kid.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Especially in that area.
Many properties on the market show a wild price drop from the crash following a sharp upswing and leveling below again within a matter of 10 years, so it can happen again.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Every pot smoker I've seen was a lowly motivated individual, it impairs and smells like butt, that's the type of thing I hope to escape raising a kid.
Of course you are free to do as you please . But you are generalizing about the majority of those who indulge who are not unmotivated, who are peaceful, and stay out of trouble. People who you would least expect. Your quiet neighbors, people with chronic pain, those you may work with, the elderly, business owners, etc. And since it is legal in a great many places the odds of living near them are growing quickly. Although they should be considerate, and not foul the air that others breath, use a filter. But there are always those that ruin it for the others. I would much rather live next to the considerate ones than loud obnoxious drunks if I had a choice. The main point I was trying to make was there are many pot smokers who can afford the same houses as you do.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Many properties on the market show a wild price drop from the crash following a sharp upswing and leveling below again within a matter of 10 years, so it can happen again.
But how long are you willing to wait for this price drop to happen? There are many older threads about Bellingham that talk about the good, and the bad of living there. And how college grads are waiting tables just to be able to live in such a pretty, and popular area. It's very trendy. I might be off, but would compare it to Asheville.

The fact that the college is there also has an impact on rentals, houses, and jobs. Read up on as many of those threads as you can to get a better idea. I think you may love it there, but it is very different than NC. (I spent 5 months in Raleigh this past Oct to Feb at my daughter's, and that was enough for me. Couldn't wait to get back out west) Much cooler summers in western Wa for one which I like. No copperheads, and other venomous snakes in western Wa, thank God, lol. I hope you find just the right place for you, and your family. She will be so much happier being closer to her folks.

Last edited by mlulu23; 08-26-2018 at 11:29 AM..

Old 08-26-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Of course you are free to do as you please . But you are generalizing about the majority of those who indulge who are not unmotivated, who are peaceful, and stay out of trouble. People who you would least expect. Your quiet neighbors, people with chronic pain, those you may work with, the elderly, business owners, etc. And since it is legal in a great many places the odds of living near them are growing quickly. Although they should be considerate, and not foul the air that others breath, use a filter. But there are always those that ruin it for the others. I would much rather live next to the considerate ones than loud obnoxious drunks if I had a choice. The main point I was trying to make was there are many pot smokers who can afford the same houses as you do.
Where I currently live smelling pot is a daily occurrence, there's concrete steps people sit on and it seeps upstairs through my door, tobacco mess on the steps. I wouldn't mind in a house since there's enough space between neighbors. If u say something, they say it's their "right" to smoke, and you can't call the cops since even parents advocate it. My cousin is a pothead who lays around all day, his dad said it was alright to smoke, now 5 years later he wishes he would do something with his life. I think it's an addiction just like alcohol or junk food. People who smoke should do it in their own home or an open area.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
But how long are you willing to wait for this price drop to happen? There are many older threads about Bellingham that talk about the good, and the bad of living there. And how college grads are waiting tables just to be able to live in such a pretty, and popular area. It's very trendy. I might be off, but would compare it to Asheville.

The fact that the college is there also has an impact on rentals, houses, and jobs. Read up on as many of those threads as you can to get a better idea. I think you may love it there, but it is very different than NC. (I spent 5 months in Raleigh this past Oct to Feb at my daughter's, and that was enough for me. Couldn't wait to get back out west) Much cooler summers in western Wa for one which I like. No copperheads, and other venomous snakes in western Wa, thank God, lol. I hope you find just the right place for you, and your family. She will be so much happier being closer to her folks.
I look at the realtor website, one listing in Bellingham looked nice, so below it shows the "sold" history and previous prices the home was listed. It ranged from 190k as high as 350k within a 10 year range from '08 until now. I'm personally in no rush to buy a house, since I maintained one before which drained me. My wife would like one soon but if we find a nice apartment maybe she'll be fine to wait 5 years. People who rush lose out on good deals. It's been a long warm summer in NC. The Charlotte area is growing too fast and seems unorganized. Her family support will take a load off of me which is why I'm happy to move up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington