Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 11:50 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
For years, the Naval bade had a sign: “Pardon our noise, it is the sound of freedom”. It is no longer there.
I thought the Growlers were something new, just in the last few years, and that their decibel level hit new heights of unacceptability. There have always been jets, but not Growlers, from what I understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 01:29 PM

576 posts, read 2,260,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
The Growlers can be heard in Anacortes and on Camano Island during training exercises- it depends on the flight path they take. They shake the ground when they go over.
They can also be heard most places on the north Oly Peninsula. We've heard them while in Port Angeles as well as in Port Townsend. We hear them frequently from our home on the Strait near Sequim.

OP: Whidbey vs. Anaco IMO it's a Coke Pepsi question. Very similar living. I'd say if you like one you will probably like the other equally as well. As mentioned above, north Whidbey has the NAS to contend with whereas Anaco has the refinery and WSF traffic.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post
They can also be heard most places on the north Oly Peninsula. We've heard them while in Port Angeles as well as in Port Townsend. We hear them frequently from our home on the Strait near Sequim.

OP: Whidbey vs. Anaco IMO it's a Coke Pepsi question. Very similar living. I'd say if you like one you will probably like the other equally as well. As mentioned above, north Whidbey has the NAS to contend with whereas Anaco has the refinery and WSF traffic.
Camano Island has none of those issues. And some people like Stanwood, by the bridge to Camano. Worth checking out, as long as you're researching, the area, OP.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:32 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I thought the Growlers were something new, just in the last few years, and that their decibel level hit new heights of unacceptability. There have always been jets, but not Growlers, from what I understand.
The predecessors were called Prowlers. The Growlers were supposedly less noisy than the Prowlers, but some people refute this claim.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by praysinghim View Post
My husband and I are seriously looking at Whidbey Island, but not sure if has enough walking beach and mountain hiking. I love to be outdoors and hate to be cooped up. Lots of sunshine is a definite plus, but I am also aware of the reality of less sunnier days where we are looking. Anacortes seems a little more active. I would love your input if you also live for the outdoors. Thank you!
Wow, lots of cry-babies here!!! Not exactly what your post asked for, but, none the less... if you are a cry baby too... you should be aware that the NAS has been operational since 1942, so... if that is a problem for you... there are vast other opportunities. I grew up near a SAC base (i.e. sonic booms). Currently have F16 fly-bys, (on occasion, tho they fly everyday and can hear the takeoff). lots of military helicopter traffic.

For your desire for recreation... don't consider Island living if you have never done so. It can be VERY confining. At least you can drive off Whidbey and Anacortes area. Waiting for a ferry gets old (and expensive) very fast. If stuck on an Island... take up water recreation.

You like Mtns and a walking beach... consider BC or AK. (or Olympic Peninsula.)

Old 02-20-2019, 11:03 PM

234 posts, read 303,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The growlers have been there for a while, probably 10 years now. The prowlers and growlers were both there at the same time, even though the EA6B is done now. A growler is just an electronic warfare version of an F-18 Hornet.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:53 AM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
The growlers have been there for a while, probably 10 years now. The prowlers and growlers were both there at the same time, even though the EA6B is done now. A growler is just an electronic warfare version of an F-18 Hornet.
Maybe there's something about growler maneuvers that amplifies the noise level,
compared to the practice runs their fighter-jet cousins do. Perhaps the growlers fly lower?

Old 02-21-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Maybe there's something about growler maneuvers that amplifies the noise level,
compared to the practice runs their fighter-jet cousins do. Perhaps the growlers fly lower?
Yes, there's got to be something different about them, to raise such alarms around the area in just the last 5 years or so, and to cause people to move away from Whidbey.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:06 PM

234 posts, read 303,618 times
It’s more likely the amount of flying that they are doing. That base is growing big time, and so are the number of growlers. The more fly time, the more annoying the sound of the jets will be to the local populace.

OLF Coupeville doesn’t get used all of the time, but it sounds like the low flying training going on there is getting ramped up, and that’s the issue.

This article explains the situation pretty well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sea...trict/%3famp=1

Old 02-24-2019, 09:36 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
We didn’t have a terrible problem with the growlers when we lived in Anacortes a few years ago. It wasn’t frequent.
It was really a great place if you like to walk, hike or bicycle. Lots happening, beautiful hiking trails, great restaurants...it’s a fun little town.
I love Whidbey but Anacortes was much better for daily life for us.
We left to be closer to family but it was pretty cool living up on Cap Sante. We weren’t right on the water but had views of it. We’d see ships moving past our windows. So cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington