Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,586 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are seriously looking at Whidbey Island, but not sure if has enough walking beach and mountain hiking. I love to be outdoors and hate to be cooped up. Lots of sunshine is a definite plus, but I am also aware of the reality of less sunnier days where we are looking. Anacortes seems a little more active. I would love your input if you also live for the outdoors. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 12:32 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,218,259 times
When I was kid growing up (the 60's mind you) We loved taking our boat over to Whidbey Island. We would bottom fish and also dig clams. Another Island we visited a lot was Anderson Island. I'm sure things have changed a lot in 50+ years. Sequim was a great place too which happened to be in a rain shadow, so it got more sunshine then surrounding areas.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:47 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,361,243 times
Whidbey Island:

Access via ferry (Coupeville) to Port Townsend and many Olympic National Park trails. Drive via Deception Pass Bridge to many North Cascades National Park trails.

Anacortes:

Access via ferry to San Juan Islands and Vancouver Island. Drive to many North Cascades National Park trails.

Note: It takes about 30 minutes to drive from Oak Harbor to the Anacortes Ferry Terminal. About 50 minutes from Anacortes to the Coupeville Ferry Terminal. Maybe a 20 minute difference between driving to Cascades trails from Anacortes or Oak Harbor - add 20 minutes for from Coupeville.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:17 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
If you're considering Whidbey Island, look into the high-decibel noise issue caused by the "Growler" jets the navy base is using. The locations closer to the base have experienced an exodus of residents, due to the noise.

And, as long as you're checking out islands, you might consider Camano Island, too. No ferry necessary to connect to the mainland.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-11-2019 at 01:47 PM..

Old 02-11-2019, 03:10 PM

4,601 posts, read 2,992,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you're considering Whidbey Island, look into the high-decibel noise issue caused by the "Growler" jets the navy base is using. The locations closer to the base have experienced an exodus of residents, due to the noise.

And, as long as you're checking out islands, you might consider Camano Island, too. No ferry necessary to connect to the mainland.
And here's more info:

Navy maintains 36 more Whidbey Growler jets in final EIS | Islands' Sounder

There was also a more recent (December) article in the Seattle Times, but it's behind a paywall,
and the paywall-bypass trick I tried (outline.com) didn't work.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:39 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,824 times
The Growlers can be heard in Anacortes and on Camano Island during training exercises- it depends on the flight path they take. They shake the ground when they go over.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:23 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
The Growlers can be heard in Anacortes and on Camano Island during training exercises- it depends on the flight path they take. They shake the ground when they go over.
I've heard that from residents of Orcas Island, too. But the thing about living on Whidbey is, that you're stuck listening to them taking off and landing, doing practice take-offs, and so forth. Whidbey residents have measured the decibel levels, and said they're over the allowed level.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:40 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,049 times
Quote:
I've heard that from residents of Orcas Island, too. But the thing about living on Whidbey is, that you're stuck listening to them taking off and landing, doing practice take-offs, and so forth. Whidbey residents have measured the decibel levels, and said they're over the allowed level.
Yes, there is no escape from that. I was camping with friends in Anacortes a few years ago getting ready for a 0-dark-thirty fishing trip, and they were roaring by several times until nearly 2AM. The noise is unimaginable, like being in a train wreck. But it's the price of our freedom.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:11 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,098 times
Quote:

My grandparents had waterfront property near Coupeville from 1962-1989. The jet noise started during the Viet Nam war and hadn’t quit. My cousins nearby there now and they say it is unbearable at times. It may be less on the south part of the island.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:12 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Yes, there is no escape from that. I was camping with friends in Anacortes a few years ago getting ready for a 0-dark-thirty fishing trip, and they were roaring by several times until nearly 2AM. The noise is unimaginable, like being in a train wreck. But it's the price of our freedom.
For years, the Naval bade had a sign: “Pardon our noise, it is the sound of freedom”. It is no longer there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington