Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 06:38 PM

206 posts, read 186,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaltCueOur View Post
Yes they have. A once in a century storm event doesn't negate their overall policy. In fact I'd say the mistake they made was not having more baseload power in the form of nuclear energy. However it's not conservatives who have historically fought nuclear energy.
While I agree that more nuclear would be beneficial, the fact that Abbott was on FOX News blaming wind power and the Green New Deal, which doesnt even exist, shows just how much they want to steer clear of the actual reasons for the disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 06:58 PM

206 posts, read 186,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Are you really going to compare a weather event that hasn’t had anything similar to compare it to since the 1800s to a rampant epidemic that you can see and live with/around 24/7/365? K den.

In a few weeks Texas will be back to normal and this storm will be pictures in a Wikipedia article and leftist talking points, whereas the tweakers and homeless drifting around seattle and tents littering all of I-90 and I-5 will be there, as they have been for so long.

And the bums asleep in front of the ABC Stores on Kuhio are not like the violent junkies that have taken over caring, progressive, compassionate Seattle...
I assume you are blaming progressive policies for the rampant homeless situation in Seattle? Interesting to hear what those may be.

Social welfare and mental health programs are usually funded by progressive policies. You want less crazy homeless people and druggies, you need to fund programs that give them a way out.

What Conservative policies would help out with the homeless situation? Hard to tax cut and deregulate yourself out of that.

If anything the free market should be telling these people that Seattle is too expensive for them now, and they should move to a nice cheap place like Mississippi that they can afford. Right?

Old 02-22-2021, 07:53 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
U-Haul is by no means a very accurate representation of out-migration, as it is very 'class' / income specific. I know a lot of people who rent 'one-way, outbound U-Hauls for other reasons than moving, and while I drive a lot of rental trucks out of WA, I refuse to drive a U-Haul. Last person I moved used (4) trucks, none were U-Haul. (Thank goodness)

Of course as you drill down to economic level of people using U-Haul, it is probable that many leaving WA as a residence are being Displaced due to Californication of property values in the 12 (OTHER) western states who don't have Prop 13, as CA does. The 'High Fliers' are not using U-Haul...

We were displaced from CO in 1970's due to Californication of housing values, and will be displaced from WA as well. But there will be no U-Haul vehicles involved. Fortunately I have my own semi-trucks as I will require many semi loads. (Moving a farm). U-Haul does not offer 'real' trucks. Most households of significance will not fit in (2) U-Hauls.

It would stand to reason that a more typical U_Haul user (apartment dweller / very small starter home...) would have reasons to leave WA (Leaving WA beats living under a bridge or on a park bench)

That is so untrue.

When we moved to the Olympic Peninsula, U-Haul was the only company that had a local drop-off for one-way trucks. The other major DIY moving truck companies wanted us to drop off at Oak Harbor, Whidbey Island, LOL!

That situation has changed since our move, and I wasn’t crazy about U-Haul, but we had no issues and we also towed a vehicle with a U-Haul vehicle trailer (not a tow bar).

You have an interesting take judging the “class” of people by which DIY rental truck they use. I was employed by one of U-Haul’s competitors. Maintenance is everything & there is no discernible difference regarding quantity and quality of maintenance between companies.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:14 PM

146 posts, read 154,450 times
If you keep enabling something or someone, keep making excuses for them, keep making financial commitments that exceed what most people make per capita, and have nothing to show for it but more of those you are enabling, who is to blame? The something or someone, or the enabler?

Old 02-22-2021, 10:24 PM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 333,087 times
In my area housing is still hot, but there are several variables now days its hard to really know where the market would be without coronavirus. I expect a correction and buyers market this year or next. Unless people keep fleeing Seattle and California to Whatcom county.

Old 02-23-2021, 12:15 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Yes, people are leaving but people move here all the time too. I helped buyers this week looking for homes in Seattle who just got here from Texas, California and New York.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:07 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
What Conservative policies would help out with the homeless situation?
Stricter sentencing. If you commit a violent crime, even during a BLM "protest," you do serious jail time. If you only steal or shop lift, you still do some jail time.

Right now, liberal Seattle (and Portland, NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc.) are imposing no consequences for many criminal acts.

Quote:
Hard to tax cut and deregulate yourself out of that.
Who said anything about wanting to tax cut or deregulate our way out of homeless crime?

Old 02-23-2021, 05:07 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
Quote:
I assume you are blaming progressive policies for the rampant homeless situation in Seattle? Interesting to hear what those may be.

Social welfare and mental health programs are usually funded by progressive policies. You want less crazy homeless people and druggies, you need to fund programs that give them a way out.

What Conservative policies would help out with the homeless situation? Hard to tax cut and deregulate yourself out of that.

If anything the free market should be telling these people that Seattle is too expensive for them now, and they should move to a nice cheap place like Mississippi that they can afford. Right?
For the money spent on policing, "studies", and all the other homeless related issues, they could pay for their housing in Wyoming or somewhere equally cheap. The problem is, they'd strip out the copper wires and pipes for drug money, plug the toilet up and keep right on using it as it piled up and overflowed, break the windows, light the rug on fire, and generally destroy anyplace they are put into. The homeless problem is a result of a drug problem, and lack of enforcement by progressives is the root cause, period. We can say that liberals/progressives have effectively deregulated law enforcement (police and actual enforcement of laws). If they started giving hard time for hard drugs, the problem would clean up in no time.

The problem is, those in power in Seattle can't launder money out of welfare and mental health care centers

Old 02-23-2021, 07:37 PM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 333,087 times
I look forward to the 2020 census. Is it out yet? That would tell us the growth or loss, at least compared to 2010.I expect modest growth.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:20 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
2020 census will show continued strong growth in both the Seattle metro and the State. Mark my words. Current release date is 3/31/21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington