Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 09:42 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,737,076 times

Advertisements

I expect to see that Downtown Seattle shrank by a considerable margin, with other areas seeing modest to strong growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
That is so untrue.

When we moved to the Olympic Peninsula, U-Haul was the only company that had a local drop-off for one-way trucks. The other major DIY moving truck companies wanted us to drop off at Oak Harbor, Whidbey Island, LOL!

That situation has changed since our move, and I wasn’t crazy about U-Haul, but we had no issues and we also towed a vehicle with a U-Haul vehicle trailer (not a tow bar).

You have an interesting take judging the “class” of people by which DIY rental truck they use. I was employed by one of U-Haul’s competitors. Maintenance is everything & there is no discernible difference regarding quantity and quality of maintenance between companies.
I agree, I think you have a few people that are relocated by companies ( Or with big money) which use Allied Van Lines and the like, but most people use U-Haul because they are everywhere and you can simply dump the truck off locally once done with it.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:57 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,884,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I expect to see that Downtown Seattle shrank by a considerable margin, with other areas seeing modest to strong growth.
To clarify, you think in that 10 year period Downtown Seattle actually shrunk?
If so, care to wager?

Old 02-24-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
To clarify, you think in that 10 year period Downtown Seattle actually shrunk?
If so, care to wager?
No thanks lol!
I know its grown in 10 years, but 2020 onward is going to show a drop. I work in construction that supplies the Seattle area, and we've seen big changes this year as to where the investment is going. Understand that permitting a new tower is about a 3 year process, so a lot of the construction you see now is from a time where tenants lined up around the block to lease units on "opening day". Those times have changed, projects are still being built out because they are too far along not to, and others are being put on hold or cancelled. The trailing factor is going to be eye opening and is still a couple years down the road. Actions (or lack thereof) have consequences.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
The people staying in Seattle and those moving into Seattle want to buy, not rent, and the result is the odd situation where home prices are up 13.6%, while rent prices are down 20%.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
There was a report yesterday that claimed 160 businesses have exited Downtown Seattle (noting security concerns for company and customers. )

Seattle and it's business / property owners need a solution. (As do those who are calling the Seattle parks and streets their home. )

Old 02-24-2021, 01:36 PM

439 posts, read 423,747 times
Quote:
No thanks lol!
I know its grown in 10 years, but 2020 onward is going to show a drop. I work in construction that supplies the Seattle area, and we've seen big changes this year as to where the investment is going. Understand that permitting a new tower is about a 3 year process, so a lot of the construction you see now is from a time where tenants lined up around the block to lease units on "opening day". Those times have changed, projects are still being built out because they are too far along not to, and others are being put on hold or cancelled. The trailing factor is going to be eye opening and is still a couple years down the road. Actions (or lack thereof) have consequences.
Union dispatches (specifically Operators and Laborers) for Seattle jobs are way down. South Sound and Everett/north are up.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
No thanks lol!
Thank you, I'd feel guilty taking any money for that.

Agreed it'll be interesting to see 2020 and near future numbers.

I haven't had to go downtown in ages and I'm good with that.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fassopony View Post
Union dispatches (specifically Operators and Laborers) for Seattle jobs are way down. South Sound and Everett/north are up.
Yes, I work South King County and plenty going on in the industrial communities.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:16 PM

439 posts, read 423,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Yes, I work South King County and plenty going on in the industrial communities.
I'm referring specifically to public works type construction dispatches, which are both commercial and industrial. Private work has ground to a halt in Seattle and much of the immediate surrounding King County areas. Pierce, SnoHo and Kittitas are growing and growing.

To the extent that I have almost monthly conversations with various Dept of Revenue folks who are concerned that the sales revenues for certain locations may not be correct lol. Oh, it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington