Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 09:44 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I agree.
Most large cities have low income areas and areas of ethnic concentration but that doesn't mean they are "Ghetto".

South Central LA is Ghetto.
Hunter's Point, San Francisco is Ghetto.
Central Oakland, CA is Ghetto.
Detroit is Ghetto.
Where is Central Oakland?

I know North Oakland, East Oakland, West Oakland, Downtown Oakland and the Oakland Hills, but never heard of Central Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 01:20 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Where is Central Oakland?

I know North Oakland, East Oakland, West Oakland, Downtown Oakland and the Oakland Hills, but never heard of Central Oakland.
Central Oakland is where you are in Oakland when you suddenly realize you are right in the Center of where you don't want to be.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:59 AM

131 posts, read 323,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Central Oakland is where you are in Oakland when you suddenly realize you are right in the Center of where you don't want to be.
BAAWWAHAHA!

Kinda like "Wherever I'm at, you don't want to be"

Old 10-21-2007, 12:44 PM

264 posts, read 695,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I'm interested in crime stats and if it has that "junky ghetto" look to it, or if it's really nice and kept up.
Junky ghettos and high crime:
Seattle
Kent
Auburn
Tacoma
Yakima
Pasco/Kennewick/Richland
Federal Way
Moses Lake

Nice and kept up:
Anacortes
Lynden
Ritzville
Darrington
Sequim
Black Diamond

Old 12-04-2007, 01:30 AM

11 posts, read 129,744 times
Default Corrections to the list . . .

I generally agree with the junky/crime list, although many of those same cities have perfectly beautiful, nice areas to live in. But what's bad about them is truly bad.

As for the nice and kept up, I can only vouch for Lynden, Ritzville and Sequim. They are all nice, either scenic or loaded with character or both. But Darrington is skank. Anacortes is plagued with traffic, and it stinks. Sometimes a view isn't everything.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 16,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ness View Post
With Ruston the issue concerns me more than with the other areas b/c that is where the contamination originated and therefore the strongest concentration and most affected, etc. I HAVE done a ton of research on the topic and it's my understanding that only certain parts of Gig Harbor are affected (and not that bad), but that all the areas south of Ruston are affected (including Steilacoom). They have a map online somewhere that shows the areas affected and the degree to which it affects them.
We're just starting our look into Washington -- What contamination are you talking about???

mm

Old 12-18-2007, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 15,575 times
Default My 2 cents...

You should take this with a grain of salt, as most of these are based on first impressions from a brief visit:

Best:
Essentially the entire Eastside (Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah, etc.)
Snoqualmie/North Bend/Fall City
Tri-Cities
Vashon Island
Many of the smaller, mountain communities along Hwy 18: Maple Valley, Covington, etc.

Worst:
Aberdeen/Hoquiam
Tacoma (especially the South/East sides)
Yakima

That said, I'd much rather live in some of these "bad" places in Washington then in some of the much worse places you'll find in other states.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:40 AM

559 posts, read 2,116,232 times
Smile Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post
Redmond is a beautiful--but horrendously expensive--city, as is Bainbridge Island. Port Townsend is lovely and a little more affordable. The San Juan Islands are beautiful, but pricey and remote. I would not recommend Tacoma to anyone. Seattle is nice to go to for the day to shop or see a play or ballet or whatever, but I like to be on the ferry on my way home by the time the sun sets on it. There are a lot of nice places in Eastern Washington as well.
Of course, I think the best place to live is where I live, Kitsap County, which includes many lovely places; Seabeck is where we chose. A lot of the doctors live here. Also Poulsbo, Silverdale, Tracyton, and some parts of East Bremerton are lovely; of those, I like Poulsbo the best.

The list some of the others gave is on the "other" side of the water (meaning the east side, where Seattle, Redmond, Issaquah, etc., are). Traffic is tremendously better on this side, as are housing prices.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:37 PM

91 posts, read 372,549 times
I would pick ILLahee waterfront in Bremerton...Incredible views of Port orchard bay,Bainbridge island,Mt Rainier,Seattle Ferry traffic,and the many private boats the go by....Second choice is Alki Beach, West Seattle...

Old 12-20-2007, 08:19 PM

142 posts, read 558,270 times
Around Seattle anything south seems not so nice to me. Around the airport is really awful and Tacoma is very industrial. My favorite Seattle city areas to live in are Ballard, Fremont, Greenwood, Wallingford. Alkai is nice too but a bit far out and VERY expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington