Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 02:14 PM

10 posts, read 48,416 times

Advertisements

Hi. My name is Starr. My husband is in the Navy and transferring unaccompanied to Italy and my three young children and I are wanting to move to Shelton, Washington near family.

Is anyone from Shelton or know about Shelton. It looks really nice on the Chamber of Commerce website...but my husband's aunt seems to think it is sort of hickish???

We want a down home type area...retirement community that is safe...and how is the weather there..winter, fall, summer??

thanks
Starr*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 05:25 PM

331 posts, read 2,108,765 times
I don't know much about it other than I know there is a community of Shakers that are in that area. And it is a bit "rural" from what I hear.

When are you planning to move?

Old 07-13-2006, 06:49 PM

Default what are shakers? Anyone else know about Shelton WA

what are Shakers?

Anyway in March we are planning to move..any one else know about Shelton?

Old 07-13-2006, 08:04 PM

331 posts, read 2,108,765 times
Much Like the Quakers or Amish

That will put you in here for the rainy season. And spring time here in Western WA is beautiful! Lots of color.

Wish I could tell you more about it.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:46 PM

thanks for the info... I am nervous also about the overcast weather.. but do the summers have pretty constant sunshine?

Old 07-13-2006, 11:32 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosystarr
... but do the summers have pretty constant sunshine?
In one word: "NOPE"

The nicest four weeks of the year are statistically the last two in July and the first two in August. That's the time frame where you'll have the most chance of constant sunshine.

I've seen summers in western Washington where you can have weeks with overcast skies in the summer. At least it's a little warmer in the summer than in the winter. Winters tend to be more severe in the south sound and Shelton areas than, say, Seattle metro ...colder with more snow.

But back to summers, here it is mid-July and I just got through talking on the phone to a friend in the Seattle area and she told me it's been gray and rainy the last two days.

The one thing that was irritating to me living in western Washington as long as I did was even when you had a nice warm 80-90 degree sunny day, it would typically turn gray and drizzly in overnight ...one day it's sunny and 90 and the next day the marine push settles in and it's 65 degrees and overcast. Most like it because it's the area's natural air conditioner, or so they say.

But I don't want to get you too down on the climate, Starr! Some say I have the tendency to exaggerate.

--'rocco

Old 07-14-2006, 01:12 AM

Default rocco

ha ha..well everyone does seem to be saying the same thing, so I know you are not exaggerating...but I will give it a chance and just like someone else said..it's not like I can't move away if the grey weather is too much for me.

Do u know about the people of Shelton? Is it a safe place for me to raise my three daughters..?

Thanks so much for your input.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:34 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Hi again, Starr!

Well, I've had a few acquaintences who lived there and I'll give you my perspective of the town. Again, not everyone will agree and my view obviously won't be as accurate as somebody actually living there or who has lived there.

As you alread know, Shelton is a logging town and the area is built and focused around the timber industry. Consequently, your husband's aunt may be partially correct. Hickish? ...um, yeah, some might describe it that way. It's definitely a blue collar town; definitely not associated with the yuppie lifestyle. I also wouldn't call it a big retirement town although I do seem to remember seeing a resort looking golf course that had a country clubish look to it.

As far as the crime situation goes, I would say that Shelton doesn't have a real good reputation in that department. If you look at the City-Data page on Shelton, you'll see it has a crime index that is much greater than the national average. With that said, I really don't think it's something you have to really worry about. Being safe in any town is a matter of taking adequate precautions and I think you and your kids will be perfectly safe as long as you take necessary safeguards to protect yourself.

Have fun and be safe in Shelton! I'm sure you'er going to enjoy it there.

--'rocco

Old 01-09-2008, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 7,765 times
Starr,
I grew up in Lacey (25 miles away) and recently moved to Shelton with my husband. Honestly there are some rather interesting people that live in Shelton as there are anywhere. As far as housing goes you will be able to purchase a larger, nicer home for a far better price than in Olympia, Lacey or Tumwater. I do not have children but my nieces and nephew are in Shelton and the schools are lacking compared to the Olympia or North Thurston School Districts.

When searching for a home make sure you look at your options, there are definately better places to live and you will know just by looking at your surroundings. A good real estate agent if you don't already have one is Jeff Weeks with NetWorks Real Estate located in Olympia.

As far as weather is concerned in the winter if it snows you will with out a doubt get more snow in Shelton. The past couple of years we have been having rather warm summers but there are still those days with 65 degree weather and rain.

Good Luck!

Old 01-10-2008, 10:04 AM

199 posts, read 1,513,163 times
My brother owns a few rental properties in Shelton, and my impression of it is that it is half old-rural-logging-town, half bedroom community for Olympia. There are both new suburban subdivisions with the strip malls and wal marts and the old downtown area. His rentals are out in the sticks, and its very hickish, but the town overall is very mixed.

My impression is also that the majority of the crime is from the big problem that every rural area is facing in this country - meth. But like Rocco said, if you keep your head about you and take reasonable precautions it should not be a problem.

The great thing is you are within a reasonable (1-1/2hr) drive to both the beaches and the City (Seattle), so there will be lots to do if you're adventuresome.

Good luck! Don't let the weather get you down - there is no bad weather, just bad clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington