Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 06:24 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,227,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Eve: Partly sunny with a high of 43, 33°F at night
Day: Mostly cloudy and breezy with a high of 45°F

Not bad considering how cold it's been.
I think there was a warm up right around New Years last year too.

New forecast (which will probably change several more times this week):

Friday: Partly Sunny High 40
Friday night: Partly Cloudy Low 27
Saturday: A chance of rain and snow. Mostly Sunny. High 43.

Friday morning will be very cold though with a low near 10 F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 06:51 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
That's silly. NZ is more benign in temperature terms than the typical location in the southern oceans at its latitude. Thanks your stars our islands are not in the southern Indian Ocean.
Amsterdam Island at 38S seems to have a relatively benign climate, although rather windy I imagine.

Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Le Foumeau, French Southern and Antarctic Lands

Old 12-26-2010, 07:01 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,602,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Amsterdam Island at 38S seems to have a relatively benign climate, although rather windy I imagine.

Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Le Foumeau, French Southern and Antarctic Lands
Still significantly cooler than Auckland or Tauranga. The differences increase as one heads further south. The Prince Edward Islands (46.46 S) are at Invercargill's latitude but are much colder, especially in summer.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:38 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,070,523 times
Quote:
Still significantly cooler than Auckland or Tauranga
Tauranga is at the same latitude and has about the same mean temp. The most annoying thing for me is seeing how much warmer and sunnier places the same distance from the equator are in Australia, Argentina, the US and the Mediterranean compared to the NZ equivalent. It really makes me feel cheated by fate.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:14 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Tauranga is at the same latitude and has about the same mean temp. The most annoying thing for me is seeing how much warmer and sunnier places the same distance from the equator are in Australia, Argentina, the US and the Mediterranean compared to the NZ equivalent. It really makes me feel cheated by fate.
It could be worse.. you could be in Vladivostok which is also 43 degrees from the equator. Now, they really have something to complain about as far as temperatures... mildish summers and frigid winters...

Old 12-26-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
It could be worse.. you could be in Vladivostok which is also 43 degrees from the equator. Now, they really have something to complain about as far as temperatures... mildish summers and frigid winters...
Yes, the Russian Far East is certainly amazingly cold for the latitude. I guess the continental influence of arctic regions to the north and arctic ocean currents are the reasons for this.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:44 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,602,283 times
Quote:
"About" here means a little higher. And if you consider Christchurch - where you are - I'd like to see your Australian latitudinal equivalent. And to Tauranga, for that matter.

PS - you have a bad case of "continent envy". Perhaps you should also consider air clarity in your assessments. What I've seen in Europe, the US and parts of Australia and South America has left me very unimpressed at times. And please don't quote flatland Ch'ch as a local exception.

Last edited by RWood; 12-26-2010 at 10:14 PM..

Old 12-27-2010, 03:19 AM

Quote:
"About" here means a little higher. And if you consider Christchurch - where you are - I'd like to see your Australian latitudinal equivalent. And to Tauranga, for that matter.

PS - you have a bad case of "continent envy". Perhaps you should also consider air clarity in your assessments. What I've seen in Europe, the US and parts of Australia and South America has left me very unimpressed at times. And please don't quote flatland Ch'ch as a local exception.
Tasmania doesn't compare favourably with Christchurch, but if you look at places of the same distance from the equator in the Mediterranean region (Marseille, Pisa, etc.) the comparison is downright embarassing for ChCh. In South America Chile compares very poorly (due to the Humboldt current?) but Argentina is far warmer (e.g., Trelew).

Melbourne is at the same latitude as Tauranga and averages about 1.5 C higher (due to the prevailing northerly winds?): Climate statistics for Australian locations

Old 12-27-2010, 03:59 AM

193 posts, read 376,923 times
New Year's Eve: 0C/6C 32F/43F Sunny
New Year's Day: -1C/4C 30F/39F Sunny

Old 12-27-2010, 04:59 AM

102 posts, read 146,572 times
Quote:
Tasmania doesn't compare favourably with Christchurch, but if you look at places of the same distance from the equator in the Mediterranean region (Marseille, Pisa, etc.) the comparison is downright embarassing for ChCh. In South America Chile compares very poorly (due to the Humboldt current?) but Argentina is far warmer (e.g., Trelew).

Melbourne is at the same latitude as Tauranga and averages about 1.5 C higher (due to the prevailing northerly winds?): Climate statistics for Australian locations
Large, subtropical desert landmass to the north..... higher temps occur, and more often, in Melbourne than in Tauranga. But Maybe Tauranga is warmer during S/SW winds as they have a bit of land to the south, whereas for Melbourne it's open cold ocean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather