Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:19 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times

Advertisements

Dewpoints.

Here in southwestern Australia, dewpoints are almost the same year-round.
Bunbury is the closest to me and averages a winter afternoon dewpoint of 9 C/48 F.
In summer, Bunbury averages an afternoon dewpoint of 13 C/56 F.

No question,
summers here are uncharacteristically-dry compared with Toronto summer
yet for the remainder of the year I'm amazed what it's like to have noticeably humidity,
with the dewpoint barely just low enough it almost never feels muggy.

So that surprised me about a Mediterranean climate.
I feel more humidity most days than I ever did back in Toronto; warmest, muggiest days aside.

It made me realise that I'm used to air that is so cold,
the air is thin and gutless and I won't sweat when I heat my car to 88 F/31 C
OR
air so thick that you're skin is never completely dry.

Toronto's annual average high is 12 C with an average low of 2 C.
So that probably means half the year the afternoon dewpoint should be at least below 6 C/43 F.
Which coincidentally is drier than it ever normally gets in Bunbury.

I think I'm starting to see why coastal Californians don't like the humidity of Florida
:
spoiled by dewpoints in the 40's F and 50's for 330+ days a year!

When it's cold in Toronto, or not warm
I appreciate the return of humid conditions as it's kind to the skin.
The SW Australia's humidity is nearly-always kind to the skin.

Although the humidity of somewhere like Queensland wouldn't turn me off of living there,
I don't want to sweat more when I work, so lowish humidity is growing on me.

*Back to the original topic*

I would assume 250 days here are more humid than Toronto
yet 50 days are also less humid than Toronto...
mild, ridiculous, unfair and I'm loving it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 11:45 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,952,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Considering where I am isn't warm enough for Australians to consider it sub-tropical, it is ridiculous.

Honestly, in their entire weather spectrum between mid-summer into mid-winter,
I've felt a seasonal change akin to "Toronto-July" to "Toronto-September."

Mos flowers are still in bloom,
Most of the bugs are still happy and singing
A thick sweater and a hot cup of coffee usually fixes winter cold-discomfort outdoors.
Some people are still in shorts and t-shirts.
Some people are still braving a swim in the ocean wearing just a bathing suit.
For anyone somewhat-obsessed with gardening with a strong preference for warmth
there really is no advantage to a North American-style four-season climate.

I would rather be in Australind in the dead of winter
than in Birmingham, Alabama (similar latitude ) in late-October!

Feel free to comment as you wish,
or take this thread off on a fun tangent.

I haven't been on here in awhile. When did you move CC?

Old 09-01-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
I haven't been on here in awhile. When did you move CC?
I haven't moved. I'm on extended vacation.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:57 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times
Quote:
I would rather be in Australind in the dead of winter than in Birmingham, Alabama (similar latitude ) in late-October!
I don't know how similar Birmingham's climate is to Nashville's, but when I lived in TN it wasn't uncommon at all for me to sweat outdoors in late October. Even in early November we would often have a few days near or even above 80F. I hated it!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:57 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,370,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I don't know how similar Birmingham's climate is to Nashville's, but when I lived in TN it wasn't uncommon at all for me to sweat outdoors in late October. Even in early November we would often have a few days near or even above 80F. I hated it!
This is true, but during that time of year you are just as likely to have a low of 25F as a high of 80F. It really doesn't happen as often as you think.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:22 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,070,523 times
Quote:
Dewpoints.

Here in southwestern Australia, dewpoints are almost the same year-round.
Bunbury is the closest to me and averages a winter afternoon dewpoint of 9 C/48 F.
In summer, Bunbury averages an afternoon dewpoint of 13 C/56 F.

No question,
summers here are uncharacteristically-dry compared with Toronto summer
yet for the remainder of the year I'm amazed what it's like to have noticeably humidity,
with the dewpoint barely just low enough it almost never feels muggy.

So that surprised me about a Mediterranean climate.
I feel more humidity most days than I ever did back in Toronto; warmest, muggiest days aside.

It made me realise that I'm used to air that is so cold,
the air is thin and gutless and I won't sweat when I heat my car to 88 F/31 C
OR
air so thick that you're skin is never completely dry.

Toronto's annual average high is 12 C with an average low of 2 C.
So that probably means half the year the afternoon dewpoint should be at least below 6 C/43 F.
Which coincidentally is drier than it ever normally gets in Bunbury.

I think I'm starting to see why coastal Californians don't like the humidity of Florida
:
spoiled by dewpoints in the 40's F and 50's for 330+ days a year!

When it's cold in Toronto, or not warm
I appreciate the return of humid conditions as it's kind to the skin.
The SW Australia's humidity is nearly-always kind to the skin.

Although the humidity of somewhere like Queensland wouldn't turn me off of living there,
I don't want to sweat more when I work, so lowish humidity is growing on me.

*Back to the original topic*

I would assume 250 days here are more humid than Toronto
yet 50 days are also less humid than Toronto...
mild, ridiculous, unfair and I'm loving it!!!
Dew points in Christchurch winters are typically 0 - 5 C. I suffer from chapped lips a lot.

Christchurch generally has low humidity year round (dew points seldom higher than 16 C in summer). We had a 19 C dew point last summer and I noticed it immediately as I walked outside in the morning. So I'd say I'm quite sensitive to humidity.

But I've been to QLD in the winter (Cairns and the Gold Coast) and only noticed the humidity on one day of my trip in both places. I imagine SW Aus would pose no problem to me as far as humidity goes.

The only time I've found humidity to be uncomfortable was on my trip to Samoa last winter when the dew points were constantly in the low to mid 20s. I imagine this is similar to summer in tropical QLD.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:50 PM

Out of curiosity, I decided to look up high and low temperatures for Nashville for late October and early November. I arbitrarily chose the last eight days of October (24-31) and first eight days of November (1-8). Then I averaged the high and low temperatures for that period, and noted the highest high and lowest low.

Oct 24-Nov 8 2010:
Average High: 67.1
Average Low: 43.6
Highest: 81
Lowest: 28

Oct 24-Nov 8 2009:
Average High: 65.4
Average Low: 41.3
Highest: 74
Lowest: 34

Oct 24-Nov 8 2008:
Average High: 66.2
Average Low: 39.4
Highest: 76
Lowest: 29

Oct 24-Nov 8 2007:
Average High: 63.3
Average Low: 40.8
Highest: 75
Lowest: 31

Oct 24-Nov 8 2006:
Average High: 62.3
Average Low: 42.7
Highest: 76
Lowest: 28

I only used the data on NOAA's website for that, and 2006 was as far back as I could go. I looked up high temperatures for November on Weatherunderground, going back further. They show maximum November temperatures per year as follows:

2010: 77
2009: 74
2008: 76
2007: 75
2006: 80
2005: 83
2004: 81
2003: 81
2002: 80
2001: 79
2000: 82

Going by that, Nashville appears pretty likely to hit 80 or more at least one day in November. I then went even further back, and looked at maximum November highs for the 90s. The highest one was 1990, at 79. All the rest were mid 70s or cooler, as low as 70. The 80s seem to vary all over the place, as low as low 70s, and as high as 83, with a maximum over 80 nearly every other year. However, I'm not sure where Weatherunderground got their data. Some reports say "NWS" at the bottom, but others don't appear to have any source listed.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:39 PM

^^ That doesn't surprise me.

Toronto has seen 90 F in early October and at least 75 F in November.
Every day that does shoot past 70 F in Oct or Nov is a delight
because I despise our normal pattern of 50's F, 40's F and the spells at 60+F that typically only last a few hours.

(and most people in Toronto like them too. )
Days like that are either sweaty,
or at least the heat of the sun dries us out making us much more thirsty.
Yet most Torontonians are probably reminded of days where they are still too cold wearing a coat,
and are happy to need to crack open a cold drink.

But you probably wouldn't understand,
since extended weather below 60 F doesn't feel foul to you.

Most Torontonians only get to experience feeling "hot-hottish" from the weather maybe 100 days a year,
and feel "cold-to-too-cold" at least 150 days a year
leaving over 100 days where it's neither cold nor hot.
Its so easy to forget what it's like to feel hot in Toronto, so kinda hard to tire of it.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:16 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Dew points in Christchurch winters are typically 0 - 5 C. I suffer from chapped lips a lot.

Christchurch generally has low humidity year round (dew points seldom higher than 16 C in summer). We had a 19 C dew point last summer and I noticed it immediately as I walked outside in the morning. So I'd say I'm quite sensitive to humidity.

But I've been to QLD in the winter (Cairns and the Gold Coast) and only noticed the humidity on one day of my trip in both places. I imagine SW Aus would pose no problem to me as far as humidity goes.

The only time I've found humidity to be uncomfortable was on my trip to Samoa last winter when the dew points were constantly in the low to mid 20s. I imagine this is similar to summer in tropical QLD.
Here in the U.S. it's the same way Plus throw in temps of 32°C-40°C for most of the U.S. east of the Rocky Mountains

Old 09-02-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
^^ That doesn't surprise me.

Toronto has seen 90 F in early October and at least 75 F in November.
Every day that does shoot past 70 F in Oct or Nov is a delight
because I despise our normal pattern of 50's F, 40's F and the spells at 60+F that typically only last a few hours.

(and most people in Toronto like them too. )
Days like that are either sweaty,
or at least the heat of the sun dries us out making us much more thirsty.
Yet most Torontonians are probably reminded of days where they are still too cold wearing a coat,
and are happy to need to crack open a cold drink.

But you probably wouldn't understand,
since extended weather below 60 F doesn't feel foul to you.

Most Torontonians only get to experience feeling "hot-hottish" from the weather maybe 100 days a year,
and feel "cold-to-too-cold" at least 150 days a year
leaving over 100 days where it's neither cold nor hot.
Its so easy to forget what it's like to feel hot in Toronto, so kinda hard to tire of it.
For me, the problem with those late October/early November days in the mid 70s or higher isn't necessarily the discomfort. Because those days usually also had nice, low humidity and dew points, a lot like the typical summer weather here in Bellingham. No, the problem was always the fact that I had just made it through yet another seemingly endless Summer, then would get teased with a taste of Autumn, where daytime highs might only be in the 50s, nights were cool, the air was crisp, clear, and fresh...basically my favorite weather in the whole world. Then the next day it would go back to warm and sunny. So even though it wouldn't exactly be miserable weather for me, it just kind of felt like Summer was forever hanging on, refusing to let go. But luckily, those warm days were incredibly rare after early November, and I would finally have my peace. Until March, that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather