Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2015, 06:09 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,296,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
What ecological reasons!!

I found there was a contradiction about claiming something was more natural when infact it was counterproductive on an ecological level, but maybe in English these two things (nature and ecology) do not relate very much to each other (or maybe I explained myself badly).

I understand that the actual middle moment of the day between sunrise and sunset happens to be before the actual noon, but really, I don't consider it to be a very important thing for the vast majority of the population. I believe most people are affected by sunrise and sunset times a lot more. Anyway there will be variations within timezones as this is a conventional thing, so it cannot be avoided to have the actual middle of the day before (or after in some cases ?) for many areas. Unless we speak about the China zones which are ridiculous, I don't think it is that important in Europe, especially since people have been used to it for decades and take it for natural.

Actually, I even know people in France who would rather have it on DST year-round, which I believe would be too much (for instance, my city would have 9:13 sunrises in mid-december, which is ridiculous, and it is on the eastern part of the country !).

Most people I know don't like turning the clocks in late october and thus having sunsets one hour earlier. Now that I live 600 km east, I definitely feel the difference with having sunsets about 25 minutes earlier than back home, I find it kinda harsh to live with. So, that's why I say it is important for human being. Most people live, go out and meet in late afternoon / early evening, not between 4 and 6 AM.

I believe some people like it the other way though, for instance some people are depressed by waking up in the dark, but considering the schedules in France and the fact that many people are used to it, especially in the western part and north, they are probably a minority. By the way, have you traveled there ? You could experience it and see how it feels.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:34 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,263,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I found there was a contradiction about claiming something was more natural when infact it was counterproductive on an ecological level, but maybe in English these two things (nature and ecology) do not relate very much to each other (or maybe I explained myself badly).

I understand that the actual middle moment of the day between sunrise and sunset happens to be before the actual noon, but really, I don't consider it to be a very important thing for the vast majority of the population. I believe most people are affected by sunrise and sunset times a lot more. Anyway there will be variations within timezones as this is a conventional thing, so it cannot be avoided to have the actual middle of the day before (or after in some cases ?) for many areas. Unless we speak about the China zones which are ridiculous, I don't think it is that important in Europe, especially since people have been used to it for decades and take it for natural.

Actually, I even know people in France who would rather have it on DST year-round, which I believe would be too much (for instance, my city would have 9:13 sunrises in mid-december, which is ridiculous, and it is on the eastern part of the country !).

Most people I know don't like turning the clocks in late october and thus having sunsets one hour earlier. Now that I live 600 km east, I definitely feel the difference with having sunsets about 25 minutes earlier than back home, I find it kinda harsh to live with. So, that's why I say it is important for human being. Most people live, go out and meet in late afternoon / early evening, not between 4 and 6 AM.

I believe some people like it the other way though, for instance some people are depressed by waking up in the dark, but considering the schedules in France and the fact that many people are used to it, especially in the western part and north, they are probably a minority. By the way, have you traveled there ? You could experience it and see how it feels.
I haven't been to the North-West of France but i've been to the East of England and can see what your talking about, I noted a considerable difference in sunsets from here to there, it was very depressing. I don't think theres a solution for large countries because it's impractical to have countries on seperate timezones.

I think we need to use more half timezones though, I think that the France could use a half timezone and so could Germany, I don't think theres any point in Spain doing that. For us idk, I don't think a half timezone would work for us.. At my latitude you've got to work with what you are given. I think the point we need to make is that not all of us can have a suitable solution.. I suppose we could do multiple timezones but it would be stupid.

Here is my proposal for Europe:

Gmt
1. UK
2. Ireland
3. Spain
4. Portugal
5. Iceland

Gmt plus half
1. France
2. Netherlands
3. Norway

Gmt plus one half
1. Germany
2. Italy
3. Poland
4. Sweden
5. Bulgaria.
6. Austria
7. Slovenia
8. Macedonia

Gmt plus 2
1. Greece
2. Ukraine
3. Estonia
4. Belarus
5. Finland

That way we have more realistic timezones and some people get an add on. Then we drop daylightsavings time.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:33 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,659,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Normal bedtime. I don't think its normal wake up time, 6am is very early.
When I was in math competition in Jogja in the past wednesday/thursday, the test start at 8, and at 7:15 students must arrive at the test venue, by the bus from hotel. Participants (senior high school, age 15-17) got a hotel wake up call at 05:00 am, for there, that was around mid-nautical dawn...

Old 05-24-2015, 03:07 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,880,130 times
Sunrise: 4:30
Sunset: 22:07

Day length: 17 h 37 min
Highest sun angle: 51,3°

Civil twilight lasts from 3:21 to 23:17.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:23 AM

06:06 am
06:15 pm

Already over 20° of sun declination... barely above +70° at noon, in jogja it was around +62° at noon...

Old 05-24-2015, 07:07 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
5:30 am
8:13 pm

Old 05-24-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1138769 View Post
When I was in math competition in Jogja in the past wednesday/thursday, the test start at 8, and at 7:15 students must arrive at the test venue, by the bus from hotel. Participants (senior high school, age 15-17) got a hotel wake up call at 05:00 am, for there, that was around mid-nautical dawn...
I was up at 12 today.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:35 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,253 times
Here in Paris I've only experienced true darkness twice - the rest of the time I've fallen asleep before dark and awakened in daylight. The days are LONG here...lol.

It's gonna be odd to experience darkness again when I get home...lol.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:59 AM

In jogja i enjoyed the Jogja nightlife that starts before 6 pm!!! (civil dusk end was at 05:50 pm or so)... and slightly cooler night/dawns as well...the dry season...

Old 05-25-2015, 04:33 AM

5:04am
9:46pm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather