Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:04 PM

414 posts, read 798,023 times

Advertisements

Nice and simple here: what climates, in your own country, would you give an "A" to? (includes A+/- and plain old A). I've also kept it to places which have a permanent population: no Mt. Wellingtons or Thredbo Top Stations. Thredbo Village has a permanent population of 477 according to Wikipedia. Likewise for Mount Buller: 251 permanent residents.

Here are mine, going state by state, territory by territory, in Australia (max 5 per state to keep it manageable):

Australian Capital Territory: None
New South Wales: Armidale, Walcha, Oberon, Blackheath, Thredbo Village
Northern Territory: None
Queensland: None
Tasmania: George Town, Burnie, Liawenee
Victoria: Weeaproinah, Mount Buller, Portland
South Australia: Robe
Western Australia: Albany (only just, gets to 35C every summer here).

As you can see, I prefer high altitude locations with mild summers and cold winters with the chance of snow. Coastal locations with very mild summers also make the grade, though they can see the occasional hot (30C+) day.

These coastal locations that are on the mainland get an A- as a result of the risk of heat, those in Tasmania get an A (in fact, Low Head/George Town has never got above 30C!).

High altitude locations such as Walcha, Oberon and Blackheath also get an A. The few hot days that occur here are made up for by winter snow days.

Armidale only gets an A- because snow is not an annual event, but the weather is excellent otherwise.

Only high altitude locations with frequent snow or winter snowpack get an A+, namely Thredbo Village, Mount Buller and Liawenee.

No coastal location in NSW, QLD or NT makes the grade due to high humidity levels in summer, though a few make it into the high B's such as on the far south coast of NSW (Ulladulla southwards).

For reference purposes, I rate Sydney a C: a so-so climate which is far from my ideal but there are a lot of places which are far worse, particularly in Australia.

Note: I'll exclude Macquarie Island here, though I probably wouldn't rate it an A anyway due to the constant wind. Even places like Mount Buller get a break from the bitter westerlies in summer due to latitude, not so at 54S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 09:10 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Absolutely none... the highest grade a Canadian climate gets from me is D+ which would be the Southern Gulf Islands of BC.
Most Canadian climates are F to me.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:25 PM

414 posts, read 798,023 times
Interesting that a cool climate lover can find some joy in a hot country (Australia), but not so for a heat lover in a cold country (Canada). I guess there is nowhere in Canada that is balmy year round; even hot summer climates like Kelowna and Osoyoos have chilly winters with snowfall.

Nowhere in Australia has continental style winters with temps below -10C though, so an extreme cold lover wouldn't find anything to their liking here.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxnerd86 View Post
Interesting that a cool climate lover can find some joy in a hot country (Australia), but not so for a heat lover in a cold country (Canada). I guess there is nowhere in Canada that is balmy year round; even hot summer climates like Kelowna and Osoyoos have chilly winters with snowfall.

Nowhere in Australia has continental style winters with temps below -10C though, so an extreme cold lover wouldn't find anything to their liking here.
Another reason why Australia will always be the "lucky country" to me.. you guys have some amazing (warm and balmy) climates there and even your "bad" climates are still far better than 90% of Canadian climates IMO

Old 03-12-2012, 12:42 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
There aren't any 'A' climates in the UK, but the best climates would be London, then either Southampton or Bournemouth.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:36 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,226 times
Nowhere in NZ rates higher than a C+ in my view.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:37 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,561,463 times
In mainland France pretty much the best we have IMO is Nice or Calvi, which are both around B-.

If you include overseas departments though, Bora Bora, Fort-de-France, etc. get a solid A

Old 03-12-2012, 03:20 AM

473 posts, read 667,029 times
In NSW north of about Sydney to the Queensland border and slightly inland I would rate an A-. I don't think I'd give anywhere in Australia anything higher. Somewhere like Grafton or Taree sounds good, they get some great thunderstorms.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:48 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,932 times
I'd rate the western Australian coastline from Perth north through to around Port Hedland an A. Good year round temps and an abundance of sunshine.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:56 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
I wouldn't give any climate in my country an A.

I gave Braemar, the coldest low-level town in the UK a B+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather