Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 04:50 AM

83,559 posts, read 75,454,544 times

Advertisements

This is what the Euro shows for snowfall through next week. I have high confidence Northern Texas sees snow based on the consistancy of models showing this. An extended swath of 6-12" from eastern Kansas into the great Lakes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 05:39 AM

Skiing anyone? Latest GFS6z shows this for snowfall in the Northeast for beginning of next week. I believe this is overdone but being 6 days out, one never knows.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:02 AM

Here we go. Right on cue. HPC discusion.
HPC's Extended Forecast Discussion

"THE MEAN TROUGH FROM THE WEST INTO THE PLAINS WILL SET THE STAGE THE FIRST CHANCE OF WIDESPREAD ICE AND SNOW THIS SEASON IN THE LOWLANDS OF THE CORN BELT AND THE WESTERN GREAT LAKES."

Here is their 500mb pattern setup for Monday. To keep things simple, whenever you have the digging trough its where the snows will be. At this time its the center of the country. The other factor is, where does the storm phase. Usually phases on the right side of the trough which would be where my arrow is.
Snows to the west, Rains to the right.

A wild card is a wave of low pressure rides the right side of the trough as it moves east and the main storm gets transferred into a coastal storm near Maine. hence why the snow totals are shown in New England

You can get HPC 500mb forecast here to see where the cold/warm/storm track setup would be.
HPC Medium-Range 500 MB Forecasts (Days 3-7)

Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,372,428 times
Coast to coast warmer than normal temps yesterday:

Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,007,432 times
Enjoy the fun in the sun while it lasts, Wavehunter . Just kidding, and from what I see it's kind of cloudy in your region this morning, so you'll just have to settle for warmth. However, a pattern change does look to occur, and I pretty much agree with DaninEGF's thoughts on it.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,518,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
This is what the Euro shows for snowfall through next week. I have high confidence Northern Texas sees snow based on the consistancy of models showing this. An extended swath of 6-12" from eastern Kansas into the great Lakes.
That's funny. I'm looking at at NWS Forecast for Northern Colorado (KFNL)that goes through next Monday and there is not the mention of a single flake of snow.

NOAA National Weather Service

Old 12-04-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Enjoy the fun in the sun while it lasts, Wavehunter . Just kidding, and from what I see it's kind of cloudy in your region this morning, so you'll just have to settle for warmth. However, a pattern change does look to occur, and I pretty much agree with DaninEGF's thoughts on it.

Well in my particular case…the fun WILL last; I only have until December 12th or so before I’m down in southern Florida. Things look pretty mild right until I depart. I haven’t see snow since last Feb – and I would like to keep it that way.

After that, it can snow/rain/cold/wind….etc I really don’t care. I’ll be sitting under a coconut palm with the sun blazing down, watching the mail boats and cruise ships head into the Bahamas - lol

Old 12-04-2012, 08:25 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,947,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

And the pattern can just as easily switch back to warm again. This is why winter std deviation temps are so high. If was only always cold, our std deviation would be much lower.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:28 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,947,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Well in my particular case…the fun WILL last; I only have until December 12th or so before I’m down in southern Florida. Things look pretty mild right until I depart. I haven’t see snow since last Feb – and I would like to keep it that way.

After that, it can snow/rain/cold/wind….etc I really don’t care. I’ll be sitting under a coconut palm with the sun blazing down, watching the mail boats and cruise ships head into the Bahamas - lol

Are you retired, or are you just able to work remotely from down there? Seems like an awful long time to get off from work. Good luck to you though, you are lucky. I'll be trudging to work with the cold wind blowing in my face every morning. I just hope the snow and ice keeps to a minimum.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
And the pattern can just as easily switch back to warm again. This is why winter std deviation temps are so high. If was only always cold, our std deviation would be much lower.

Exactly: There is always the attempt for forecasters to see what is most dramatic

Also…in fairness (and I say this with a great deal of respect of DaninEGF)….there is absolute no hard evidence that it will turn sharply colder the last two weeks of December in the United States. My guess is DaninEGF is basing his colder forecast on the logic that some of the models are showing more blocking setting up over Greenland the 2nd part of December (normally this means a colder pattern in the central and northeastern USA). However, there is still a core of cold that is building in Alaska and western Canada –and this often means that the cold air stays in the Midwest or western USA – and the East (esp. the East Coast) has normal or even above normal temps.

There is absolutely no hard evedience that it will get sharply colder over the USA after mid-December- especially on the East Coast where cold air masses have to travel the furthest to reach as the come out of western Canada.

Several others have said the same thing –

Update on Long Range Forecast Model - Canadian Weather Blog - AccuWeather.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather