Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHAT'S THE WEATHER GOING TO BE?
Look out the window 20 86.96%
Dial 411 information 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 09:20 PM

35,069 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
That's pretty impressive. I don't remember the last time Atlanta had such a strong drop. With this front we're not even supposed to drop below freezing which is quite surprising given Nashville was in the 20s today. Even Houston has been/will be colder than us.
I personally remember that day and the days before it well. On January 3 we precipitously (not quite as sharply) dropped to 4F in Manhattan amid fairly heavy snow. That was a Friday if I recall correctly. Then the January 6-7 contretemps. We hit 4F, a temperature rarely reached in midtown New York City twice in a few days, separated by the 55F reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 09:30 PM

189 posts, read 166,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
That's pretty impressive. I don't remember the last time Atlanta had such a strong drop. With this front we're not even supposed to drop below freezing which is quite surprising given Nashville was in the 20s today. Even Houston has been/will be colder than us.
Weather.com has a low of 32 for Atlanta.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:06 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,531 times
"Yep, go further North to Denver if you want to see wild weather patterns. It can be -40 and next week 75."

Some guy said this in the bipolar southern weather thread. Denver has a record low of -29, no where near -40 and 75 is near the record highs for the 3 winter months. Sure, this could happen, but probably not in the same year, almost definitely not in the same month or absolutely not within a week.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:09 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but it completely irks me when people use heat index/wind chill values as if it were the actual temp. "OMG it was -40 last night" when in reality it was -20 F with a -40 F wind chill (still damn cold, but to say "it was -40" is horribly inaccurate).

I find wind chill and heat index incredibly too "dumbed down" for people. All you really need to know how hot or cold it "feels" is temperature, wind speed, and dew point. If it's 5 F outside, with a 30 mph wind speed, you know the 30 mph wind speed is going to make it feel colder than a calm 5 F.

Likewise, if it's 90 F with a 77 F dew point, you know it's damn humid outside and that 90 F is going to feel quite uncomfortably hot.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:16 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
^ That's annoying as ****, and it indicates that some people fundamentally misunderstand what the temperature actually is: it is an intrinsic quantity of the air which is independent of other factors like wind or sunlight or pressure, and its definition goes all the way down to the molecular level. In sharp contrast, the "wind chill" and "heat index" values just come from contrived formulas and are designed to dumb down the idea that certain factors can affect a "typical" human's perception of heat or cold.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:14 PM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times
When people post "data" on a weather forum full of people who can easily find out that they are spouting sh*t

Old 12-19-2016, 06:01 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanZeBar View Post
Weather.com has a low of 32 for Atlanta.
That's still technically not below freezing though that is a little cooler than I thought. Then again, I live about 20 miles out of the city to the NE and our forecast low was only about 34/35. I know the NW suburbs were expected to be colder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
^ That's annoying as ****, and it indicates that some people fundamentally misunderstand what the temperature actually is: it is an intrinsic quantity of the air which is independent of other factors like wind or sunlight or pressure, and its definition goes all the way down to the molecular level. In sharp contrast, the "wind chill" and "heat index" values just come from contrived formulas and are designed to dumb down the idea that certain factors can affect a "typical" human's perception of heat or cold.
One of the things I hate is seeing thermometers completely in the sun with no proper shading and someone treats that as a heat index or even worse, the actual temp. I remember seeing some sports announcer showing some analog $5 thermometer in the sun showing 120 and then saying that that was the feels like temperature.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:08 PM

35,069 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
We had one less dramatic in terms of number of degrees involved in January 1994. On January 16, at 5:00 p.m. it was about 13F. It rose to 44F by January 17, 1994, and dropped to 15F by 5:00 p.m. on January 18, 1994 (link).

Old 12-20-2016, 05:14 AM

808 posts, read 711,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but it completely irks me when people use heat index/wind chill values as if it were the actual temp. "OMG it was -40 last night" when in reality it was -20 F with a -40 F wind chill (still damn cold, but to say "it was -40" is horribly inaccurate).

I find wind chill and heat index incredibly too "dumbed down" for people. All you really need to know how hot or cold it "feels" is temperature, wind speed, and dew point. If it's 5 F outside, with a 30 mph wind speed, you know the 30 mph wind speed is going to make it feel colder than a calm 5 F.

Likewise, if it's 90 F with a 77 F dew point, you know it's damn humid outside and that 90 F is going to feel quite uncomfortably hot.
Happens all the time around here. The meteorologists are always sure to include the wind chill in their forecasts, and that's the number everyone talks about.

"Oh, it was -30 out last night! It was crazy!" - everyone around here

"It was only -6 last night " - me

You're right, though. Those formulas are too dumbed down and don't really mean anything. 12°F with a 10 mph wind doesn't "feel" like -15 or whatever crazy number they've come up with. It feels like 12, just with a moderate wind. And even when it was "OH MY GOSH IT'S NEGATIVE THIRTY OUT WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! " this past weekend, while it was frigid outside, it wasn't anything we haven't experienced before, and it wasn't even that extreme; the meteorologists just love to sensationalize weather events into being the "WORST HEAT WAVE/BLIZZARD/THUNDERSTORM EVAR!!!!!!!!!1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
110%. This is exactly what people fail to understand. The actual temperature does not depend on wind, humidity, sunlight, or anything else. 60°F with strong sunshine is the same exact temperature as 60°F with full overcast and strong wind. Just because one "feels" like 70 and the other 50 is irrelevant.

The wind chill and heat index are indeed no more than contrived formulas. They bear no significance on how a car works, what temperature something melts/boils at, or anything other than human perception. Real meteorological variables include temperature, cloud cover, humidity, precipitation type and rate, etc. These can be quantitatively measured and do not require calculation based on a contrived and meaningless formula.

I've been on this rock for 24 years, all of which has been in pretty similar climates. To insinuate that I don't know what 5°F feels like and to say that it actually feels like -20 is just plain stupid, in my opinion. 5°F is 5°F, not -20°F. -20 is -20. Period. End of sentence.

Great posts, guys, and sorry about my ranting.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:00 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
While many misuse wind chill and heat index, there are some good uses for each. Windchill is connected to frostbite and heat index can be used to gauge risk to overheating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather