Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 11:40 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times

Advertisements

A foot of snow in Kentucky, in March yeah ****ing right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 11:41 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,659,576 times
It didn't rain at all here today for the first time since 11th December (78 days)!!! I was actually expecting the run to go on a little bit longer, but still, I bet it will be decades until we even get close to such a prolonged rainy streak again.

Given how it's just been a degree or two above average most of the time this winter I thought we might have our first daffodils before the end of February, but apart from the dwarf varieties that always come out earlier, not quite. This is still about six weeks ahead of last year though:

Old 02-28-2014, 11:52 AM

83,540 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
My excitement level just keeps going up and up, lol. Down to 26F for a high. Looking like a solid temperature for snow.
yeah, NEI got screwed out of a snowstorm. Tom got screwed into one. LOL Your lucking out with the trend. I'm tearing my hair apart being on the border now. LOL!!

Here's the data for Atlantic City. Starts as little rain then temps drop through Monday and about 3/4" liquid falls as snow!

Close up of what Euro results were. Look at CT. LMAO! Was 7-10" now 3-5".

Attached Thumbnails
Winter 2013-14 Thread — Northern Hemisphere-data10.jpg   Winter 2013-14 Thread — Northern Hemisphere-euro4.jpg  

Old 02-28-2014, 11:57 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
It didn't rain at all here today for the first time since 11th December (78 days)!!! I was actually expecting the run to go on a little bit longer, but still, I bet it will be decades until we even get close to such a prolonged rainy streak again.

Given how it's just been a degree or two above average most of the time this winter I thought we might have our first daffodils before the end of February, but apart from the dwarf varieties that always come out earlier, not quite. This is still about six weeks ahead of last year though:
That is quite a rainy streak. Is the place all moss covered? When there are prolonged wet spells here in winter, moss starts growing all over the place. Get dozens of different mushrooms/toadstools as well.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:21 PM

267 posts, read 352,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Look where the heavy swath is now according to the Euro. I just got screwed! LOL!! Lets see if the trend holds or shifts back north
Oh god I hope it keeps going south south south. I'm in Essex County NJ and would love to not be in the buried zone for once. Snow Snow go away I'm ready for Sping to play!

Old 02-28-2014, 12:30 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,659,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
That is quite a rainy streak. Is the place all moss covered? When there are prolonged wet spells here in winter, moss starts growing all over the place. Get dozens of different mushrooms/toadstools as well.
It doesn't look that bad, strangely. Even though we have had over double average rainfall again this month, it doesn't really look any wetter than it did a few weeks ago. Most of the rain recently has fallen at night, and the days have had more sun than we had all through the rest of winter, so the only puddles left are in the places that collect water most winters and that have been there since before Christmas.

When I first heard about Bergen having got 85 consecutive days of rainfall in 2006-7 I thought that was some ridiculous one-off fluke of nature which could only happen in an extreme microclimate, but the nearer we got to it the less far-fetched and less unreasonable it started to sound. The record-longest streak of precipitation days I could find in a vaguely similar climate (i.e. not tropical rainforests or high up on a mountain) though was 154 at Eikanger-Myr in southern Norway. 32 of those days were allegedly heavy dew, though what's impressive about that streak was that it lasted from 1st July to 1st December in 1981 - what a chilling prospect, to get all that starting in high summer!

Old 02-28-2014, 12:40 PM

83,540 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Anyone pick any others?

Normal Highs today on Left. 2pm Departures on right.

Albany,NY Normal is 38°F, currently 15°F.
Norfolk, VA Normal is 54° only 29° now

Lubock, TX Normal is 62°, currently at 71°

Old 02-28-2014, 12:51 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
My sis just went back to CT from Florida perfectly in time for the snow chaos. Good for her, she hates winter and were overjoyed that the winter was so weak here before she went to the US. Serves her right, that loud-mouthed hothead.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:

Whoa looks so different from here, besides the stone? houses, we've been snowcovered with no breaks for over a month. Dew point of -10°F right now so extremely dry inside.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
When I first heard about Bergen having got 85 consecutive days of rainfall in 2006-7 I thought that was some ridiculous one-off fluke of nature which could only happen in an extreme microclimate, but the nearer we got to it the less far-fetched and less unreasonable it started to sound. The record-longest streak of precipitation days I could find in a vaguely similar climate (i.e. not tropical rainforests or high up on a mountain) though was 154 at Eikanger-Myr in southern Norway. 32 of those days were allegedly heavy dew, though what's impressive about that streak was that it lasted from 1st July to 1st December in 1981 - what a chilling prospect, to get all that starting in high summer!
Speaking of Norway, some spots in northern Norway (north of the Arctic Circle) recorded no precipitation in January. They got a wildfire.

Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : January 2014: Earth's 4th Warmest January on Record | Weather Underground
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather