Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 06:34 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt357 View Post
people like you have english blood
Hmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 12:39 PM

588 posts, read 957,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Why wear so little during the summer if you love it so much? If you love the heat - embrace it! Wear multiple layers to get even hotter!

Seriously, I don't want to feel colder all over, but love the feeling of cold on my face on a sparkling sunny day with frost and snow - that does sound really odd to people but it's so fresh, clean and invigorating. I love to breath it in. I don't layer up either, I only wear a jacket, jeans and that's it. No gloves or hats - they're unnecessary to me.
Hilarious!! Yeah, the cool air is so invigorating. I love it. I'm okay in shorts as long as I have a jacket on. Summer heat (in TX at least) is so suffocating and I swear, sometimes it really feels as if someone is pressing a thick towel over my face.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:43 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
Does it have to do with being depressed/sad during the winter months?
Yes

Old 08-14-2013, 01:49 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I'm the opposite - most people aren't that attractive, and so look better with more clothes on in my view. By "more clothing" I mean something like this, not this.

The first picture is good. I do like this better though:

http://www.fashionstyle.us/wp-conten...d-4-copy27.jpg

Old 08-14-2013, 08:54 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,156 times
Depends on where you are. Summers in Phoenix or Las Vegas are miserable with daytime highs reaching over 115F. Summers in Denver are perfect with low humidity and daytime highs in the mid 80'sF

Old 08-14-2013, 08:56 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
Summer heat (in TX at least) is so suffocating and I swear, sometimes it really feels as if someone is pressing a thick towel over my face.
Is that Houston? I've heard people say summers in Houston are nearly as bad as summers in Phoenix because of the humidity.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:32 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,690,601 times
Reasons I like summer:
  • I like the feel of the warm air itself - 23-30°C is best
  • Warm evenings (over 20C), perfect for sitting out; walks
  • Longer daylight hours and higher overall brightness
  • Higher humidity is nice - dewpoints 16C+ - feels wonderful
  • Thunderstorms - not that those happen here!

Any activities the summer weather allows are bonuses. Seeing as it is the warm conditions themselves which I enjoy, it isn't hypocritical at all. When our typical day is cold sub 21°C cloudy nonsense where the slightest gust of wind makes you grab for your coat then that makes my feelings about this even stronger!

Old 08-15-2013, 08:49 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Loving summer activities doesn't mean you don't love summer. "Summer" can have plenty of definitions. Summer for school, meteorological summer, solar summer and astronomical summer can all have different dates of beginning and end and different lengths. Summer activities largely depend on summer weather so you need that weather. The "summer activities" came about from summer weather. You won't find as many people swimming when the weather and water temperatures are cool to cold. A lot of people enjoy that hot weather because that's what they like to swim or boat in.

Besides I know plenty of people that love the heat. It drops below 80 and a lot of them wish it were warmer. I just like that it's not cold. I need warmth. Spring and fall have nice daytime temps but can be quite chilly in the mornings. Summer (here at least) is all but a guarantee of warm temperatures. I admit I do like when cooler temps come after summer. But by cooler I mean 60s. The cold 30s I can do without.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:24 PM

588 posts, read 957,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Is that Houston? I've heard people say summers in Houston are nearly as bad as summers in Phoenix because of the humidity.
Nuh uh. Dallas. But I have heard that too, especially their humidity levels being so high.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:15 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
13°C is too cold for shorts and t-shirt imo. The coldest temperature I've worn a t-shirt in was a sunny 16°C day in January, and while it wasn't bad, it became uncomfortable every time there was a little breeze. And I generally don't wear shorts unless it's 24°C.

I also wouldn't refer to 21°C as warm, at least in the summer months, I think it was just last week that I was freezing in temperatures of 18-20°C when I went outside with shorts and a t-shirt one morning when we were experiencing below average temperatures. It was a shock.
I've brushed snow and scraped ice off of a car, in a snowstorm at 15 degrees F before. (That's about -9 C.)

It must boil down to people's physiology. I'm guessing that Puerto Ricans whose ancestors for many generations also lived their whole lives in Puerto Rico developed a genetic adaptation to the climate. Darwin's theory of evolution is a load of poop but the "adaptation" aspect of it is entirely correct. We adapt to our circumstances, over time. I'm guessing that's what came into play with people whose ancestry is entirely from hot climates. Mine is entirely from cold climates. I get cold just like everyone, but it takes lower temperatures for me than it does for most people. Except, of course, my friend Gahre - "Gary" - from high school. He was Scandinavian... I don't remember what country, specifically. You want to talk about COLD... they get really cold up there. Gahre wore a T-shirt and shorts every day of the year, whether he was outside or inside. In four years, I saw him wear pants ONCE and I never saw him wear a jacket at all. He was an equipment guy with the marching band and I distinctly remember being at Giants Stadium in February for a competition... it was in the low 20's... we were outside the whole time... I had my uniform on, with thick clothing underneath. I was cold. Gahre had on a T-shirt and shorts, and he was comfortable.

Therefore, I have reason to believe that we like the climate in which we feel the most comfortable. For some, it's a frigid winter climate. For others, it's a searing summer climate. For still others, they prefer everything in moderation... for the rest, they can't stand extremes of any kind, ever. The good news is that there are climate profiles for everyone... you just have to live in your ideal climate area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather