Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:54 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,184,193 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm Italian and I live in Rimini, Emilia-Romagna, a city on the border between Northern and Central Italy, on the Adriatic Coast, at 44°0 N.
Its climate is a blend of Cfa and Csa (like Florence, rainfall in summer is mainly due to convection, with a few strong thunderstorms), in hardiness zone 9a. Snowfall is not very frequent and snow rarely lasts on the ground for more than one day.
I would rate B+ this climate: maybe too chilly and cloudy in winter but overall mild, comfortable, with sunny and warm summers and not too rainy. I'd like to know what do you think about it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 10:57 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,455,466 times
Similar to Yalta, Ukraine: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yalta#Climate. C-. Summers are too hot, but at least have quite cool nights, winters are way too warm but decent for Italy.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:06 PM

3,990 posts, read 3,398,274 times
Good sunshine, but way too dry, too warm in summer and either too cold or too warm in winter. C-

Old 08-23-2013, 12:24 PM

287 posts, read 448,683 times
Piacere Mar, sei il secondo italiano che vedo su questo forum!

I don't really like Rimini's climate, too dry overall, too hot and humid in the summer and nothing special in winter. Nevertheless I appreciate its strong summer thunderstorm and its winter snowfalls (why do you say snow is not common? Rimini is not a snowy city but it still has around 20 cm on average and it received over than a half meter in February 2012 if I'm correct). D+.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troms View Post
Piacere Mar, sei il secondo italiano che vedo su questo forum!

I don't really like Rimini's climate, too dry overall, too hot and humid in the summer and nothing special in winter. Nevertheless I appreciate its strong summer thunderstorm and its winter snowfalls (why do you say snow is not common? Rimini is not a snowy city but it still has around 20 cm on average and it received over than a half meter in February 2012 if I'm correct). D+.
Pleased to meet you, too!
About snow, we have a few snow showers almost every year (winter with no snow are common), but often bora winds turn snow into rain, quickly melting all!
And yes, in february 2012 occurred two main snowfalls of 30 cm each, plus some minor snowfalls. It was one of the snowiest cold snap in almost 20-30 years for the entire Adriatic coast and Emilia-Romagna region (frigid siberian air that produced snowfalls even in Rome and Palma, Mallorca)

Old 08-23-2013, 01:17 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
C for me. Summers are excellent, perfect temperatures and still acceptable rainfall. Winter is a let down though -too cloudy.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
Pleased to meet you, too!
About snow, we have a few snow showers almost every year (winter with no snow are common), but often bora winds turn snow into rain, quickly melting all!
And yes, in february 2012 occurred two main snowfalls of 30 cm each, plus some minor snowfalls. It was one of the snowiest cold snap in almost 20-30 years for the entire Adriatic coast and Emilia-Romagna region (frigid siberian air that produced snowfalls even in Rome and Palma, Mallorca)
I know that, I'm Italian too, I was there when it happened. (but Rimini saw beautiful snowfalls in the past years too)

Old 08-23-2013, 01:32 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm Italian and I live in Rimini, Emilia-Romagna, a city on the border between Northern and Central Italy, on the Adriatic Coast, at 44°0 N.
Its climate is a blend of Cfa and Csa (like Florence, rainfall in summer is mainly due to convection, with a few strong thunderstorms), in hardiness zone 9a. Snowfall is not very frequent and snow rarely lasts on the ground for more than one day.
I would rate B+ this climate: maybe too chilly and cloudy in winter but overall mild, comfortable, with sunny and warm summers and not too rainy. I'd like to know what do you think about it!

Ciao paisano. My folks just came back from Italy where they grew up. They try to go every year. Very hot this past month. They are in the mountains in Southern Italy (Calabria)

I'm surprised how warm Rimini is. I wouldn't like it, that's for sure. Winters aren't cold enough, summers are too warm. There's no snow (wow!) and there's little rain. Gees. Are you sure that data is accurate? I'm not familiar with sunshine data but I assume 2000+ hours is a lot considering you don't get much precip?

For those that want to know... Rimini is Latitude 44°N (that's like Maine in the U.S). Northwest coast of Italy near on Adriatic Sea. Kinda shocked at the snow data there.

I hope to see more of your weather posts in the seasonal threads or others. Curious how the weather there is each day or week.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ciao paisano. My folks just came back from Italy where they grew up. They try to go every year. Very hot this past month. They are in the mountains in Southern Italy (Calabria)

I'm surprised how warm Rimini is. I wouldn't like it, that's for sure. Winters aren't cold enough, summers are too warm. There's no snow (wow!) and there's little rain. Gees. Are you sure that data is accurate? I'm not familiar with sunshine data but I assume 2000+ hours is a lot considering you don't get much precip?

For those that want to know... Rimini is Latitude 44°N (that's like Maine in the U.S). Northwest coast of Italy near on Adriatic Sea. Kinda shocked at the snow data there.
It's not true that there is no snow. Rimini receives around 20 cm/year on average, which is not a great amount but still measurable, and some areas on the Adriatic coast are likely snowier. The problem is that these data don't come from the official meteorological agency, which very rarely makes snow measurements.

Last edited by Troms; 08-23-2013 at 01:47 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

I hope to see more of your weather posts in the seasonal threads or others. Curious how the weather there is each day or week.
Hi, nice to meet you!
Actually there's snow occasionally, with some huge snowfalls every 8-10 years or more (except for the last four very snowy winters). For example, the total accretions, in cm, for the 1991-2000 decade were: 81; 5; 2; 14; 0; 2; 16; 0; 18; 7. The 1960s was the snowiest decade by far.
About rainfall, it's low due to the rainshadow effect of the Apennines. This data are correct and you can find them (except for snow averages) on the Climatological Atlas by the Italian Air Force on meteoAM.it - Climatologia - Atlante climatico. Sunshine hours for Rimini Centro (1961-90), by Enea, are pretty much the same as Bologna or Venice. http://clisun.casaccia.enea.it/Profi...0capoluogo.Txt
This averages were recorded at the airport, in a open and extra urban area; in Rimini is quite warmer, especially the minimum temperatures! Plus the last 10-15 years were way warmer than these averages show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather