Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How warm must it at least be?
Warm summers with no variable snowpack in winter 33 19.64%
Hot summers with no variable snowpack in winter 50 29.76%
Chilly winters and warm summers 15 8.93%
Chilly winters and hot summers 29 17.26%
Not any of the above (please explain) 41 24.40%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 10:57 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,601,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Camellias have really grown on me. I saw some in bloom a few weeks back in Cape May, NJ but that is only due I think to the mild December. I think it was left over Autumn blooming camellias. The Spring blooming camellias are usually April here with normal weather, and maybe late March with a warmer than avg Feb and March. Will be interesting to see if they bloom this month around here with the warm forecasted temps.

But yeah, London and at least southern UK have lots more winter greenery and blooming things in Feb/March than we do around here. I remember being in London for a long weekend around our Presidents Day holiday which is mid February. I remember being really surprised seeing cherry trees in bloom already.

Are the cherry trees there in bloom already now?

You need to post some more pics of how Spring is progressing in London. I do think you guys get a quicker jump on Spring than we do cause you just never get as cold in winter. That means your soil temps never get as cold and plants and trees react to the soil temps I think more than the air temps.
Cherries and magnolia have been in bloom for around 3-4 weeks. Camellia, laurel, buddleia and rosemary are also in bloom now. Gorse (which you don't seem to have there) usually blooms around Dec-Jan. Smaller flowers such as crocus, daffodil, wild parsley and reseda have been flowering for the last 3-5 weeks.

I noticed you mentioned pampas grass in the picture thread; do people there consider it a subtropical plant as I always thought it was common to oceanic climates.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:09 AM

855 posts, read 772,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Cherries and magnolia have been in bloom for around 3-4 weeks. Camellia, laurel, buddleia and rosemary are also in bloom now. Gorse (which you don't seem to have there) usually blooms around Dec-Jan. Smaller flowers such as crocus, daffodil, wild parsley and reseda have been flowering for the last 3-5 weeks.

I noticed you mentioned pampas grass in the picture thread; do people there consider it a subtropical plant as I always thought it was common to oceanic climates.
Very similar to Seattle or Victoria in terms of blooming schedule. Except I think it's plums that are blooming in Feb., not cherries. That would be pretty remarkable before March.

Meanwhile here in Michigan, nothing is blooming despite highs in the 60s for several days this February. The cold snaps in between freeze everything out.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:26 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:

Is gorse invasive in your area?

Old 03-01-2016, 11:43 AM
B87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Is gorse invasive in your area?
It's native.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
It's native.
Yes, but does it spread rapidly and cover large areas, causing fire, and requiring aerial spraying?

Old 03-01-2016, 11:49 AM
B87

Quote:
Yes, but does it spread rapidly and cover large areas, causing fire, and requiring aerial spraying?
It does spread over large areas, is usually found with pine, broom and heather and gorse dominated areas are usually where wildfires are most common in the UK. It isn't controlled by spraying, but sometimes areas are burnt back on purpose.

Here's some gorse on fire next to the M3 in Surrey.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:51 AM

Okay, quite different to here then. It flowers throughout the year and spreads rapidly.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:59 AM
B87

Quote:
Okay, quite different to here then. It flowers throughout the year and spreads rapidly.
Ours flowers throughout the year too, but only likes sandy soil. Our most common or well known invasive tree is probably the rhododendron, which carpets areas of woodland with small trees up to 5-6m tall.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:03 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:

People here grow pampas grass in coastal areas, but I don't think it is grown inland. They grow it on the coast of Delaware and NJ also.

Last edited by tom77falcons; 03-01-2016 at 01:12 PM..

Old 03-01-2016, 12:17 PM
B87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
People here grow papmpas grass in coastal areas, but I don't think it is grown inland. They grow it on the coast of Delaware and NJ also.
It's a common ornamental garden plant here, not as common as cordyline though, which seem to grow in every other garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather