Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How warm must it at least be?
Warm summers with no variable snowpack in winter 33 19.64%
Hot summers with no variable snowpack in winter 50 29.76%
Chilly winters and warm summers 15 8.93%
Chilly winters and hot summers 29 17.26%
Not any of the above (please explain) 41 24.40%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 04:57 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
NZ doesn't look like the Netherlands.

I take the view that flyball likely had their heart broken in an Oceanic climate, and the taunt is more of a cry of pain/help.
Well it might not be so flat but they are both predominantly 'green' because they both have Oceanic climates! Grass is green in both places year round.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:58 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Ok with many asterisks*** and the 3 pages it took for you to admit you struggle to grow cotton.

The fjord looks pretty though I'll give you that. Wouldn't mind visiting, gonna need a wetsuit though
No, I think I mentioned or implied that it wasn't viable as a crop, from the start.

Definitely going to need a wetsuit, as the fiord has a fresh water layer over the salt water, that allows black coral to grow in much shallower water than usual - and some of that fresh water is from glaciers.

Old 12-11-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Well it might not be so flat but they are both predominantly 'green' because they both have Oceanic climates! Grass is green in both places year round.
Only in the places that are actually green though, as quite a lot of NZ isn't that green.

On my bike ride into town this morning, I passed orchards growing olives, guava, and avocado - no one is going to think they are in the Netherlands seeing those.

Old 12-11-2021, 06:45 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
I remember growing up as a kid thinking New Zealand was a tropical island. When talking to foreigners do you run into a lot of people that have that misconception? If you like mild temperatures seems like a great place to wear layers and chill outside. I love hot summers and cold winters though

Old 12-11-2021, 11:23 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,264,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I think it’s a pretty common misconception for people who don’t study climatology as a hobby like we do on here. I thought New Zealand was tropical as a kid until I learned as an adult that there were ski hills at Queenstown.
I also thought of New Zealand as tropical when I was a kid. Especially because I watched alot of Animal Planet where New Zealand was featured, particularly the emphasis on its Pacific island/Polynesian connection (which I knew included tropical islands like Caledonia, Cooks, etc ).

Old 12-12-2021, 08:36 AM

1,503 posts, read 912,723 times
I've had more of a think about why I dislike the "subtropical" category. It's such a ratbag that I think it's pretty meaningless. It can be quite strongly seasonal climates with hot, tropical-like summers and cool to cold winters (eg Atlanta) or much less seasonal climates with hot summers and warm winters (eg Brisbane) or practically aseasonal climates that are warm year round (eg Brinchang).

The problem is that "subtropical" is defined in relation to what it is not (tropical), rather than what it is.

Thought experiment: try the same thing with "mediterranean". You could call both Vancouver and Santa Cruz de Tenerife sub-mediterranean as neither are mediterranean but both have some mediterranean features. But creating a "sub mediterranean" category to put them both in wouldn't make sense.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:43 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
I've had more of a think about why I dislike the "subtropical" category. It's such a ratbag that I think it's pretty meaningless. It can be quite strongly seasonal climates with hot, tropical-like summers and cool to cold winters (eg Atlanta) or much less seasonal climates with hot summers and warm winters (eg Brisbane) or practically aseasonal climates that are warm year round (eg Brinchang).

The problem is that "subtropical" is defined in relation to what it is not (tropical), rather than what it is.

Thought experiment: try the same thing with "mediterranean". You could call both Vancouver and Santa Cruz de Tenerife sub-mediterranean as neither are mediterranean but both have some mediterranean features. But creating a "sub mediterranean" category to put them both in wouldn't make sense.
I think vegetation is the best way to measure how near to sub-tropical any climate is, nature IS the best judge, real Sub-Tropical climates are climates of countries that are physically outside the tropics that are the same as climates found withing the tropics. Oceanic climates aren't tropical, they are though 'arguably' closer to tropical than anywhere that freezes at any time of the year - bourne out by the fact that tropical vegetation can survive 'some' Oceanic climates like NZ or Western European coasts and islands.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:00 AM

5,722 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post

Some good thoughts; love how you describe Cfa as a ratbag. One could say though that many climate zones are defined by what they are not. For example, look at how the Group A climates are divided up according to the rain that they do or do not get.

Other than being overly inclusive, the other problem with Cfa is the name subtropical. This causes many posers to try and force their own little slice of paradise into the mix in some bizarre quest for self-validation. Witness the spawn of wavehunter relentlessly trolling the forum.

A lot of those issues would not be present if Cfa had a different name but I struggle to think of a better term. Perhaps if we should start calling it the "ratbag climate zone"?

Old 12-12-2021, 01:20 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,539,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

You've let yourself down with the influence argument though - hill country south of here received about 500mm of rain last week due to a system that started up at around 20 degrees of latitude .... that's the very definition of influence.
Some remnant tropical waves that briefly interrupt your semi-permanent westerly flow aren't indicative of general circulation patterns. It's about as ridiculous as using the remnant tropical systems that impact the British Isles as examples of predominant circulation patterns.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Some remnant tropical waves that briefly interrupt your semi-permanent westerly flow aren't indicative of general circulation patterns. It's about as ridiculous as using the remnant tropical systems that impact the British Isles as examples of predominant circulation patterns.
Of course .... I had assumed that this was understood by all parties.

However, the degree at which an ecosystem still operates, or an environment has evolved to during the coldest months is real world, but as of yet doesn't have specific classification that addresses that.

Even Holdridge operates on broad parameters, which may, or may not describe any ecosystem with a degree f accuracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather