Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 01:28 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times

Advertisements

How much snow is "little or no snow"? The Scillies average two days a year of snow/sleet falling (more likely sleet) and an average of one day every eight years with snow cover.

I don't know the average for the Faroes, but in 2000-01 (the most northerly-dominated winter in NW Europe since I started following the weather, if I remember rightly), it must have had at least 30 days of lying snow according to this data, so its averages won't be that snow-free:

Weather History for Vagar, Faroe Islands | Weather Underground

Looking at the records for January 2007, it had 16 consecutive days of falling snow but with temperatures at 2 or 3C most of the time hardly any of it will have stuck!

Weather History for Vagar, Faroe Islands | Weather Underground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 03:01 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,370,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
Comodoro Rivadavia, Argentina, at 45°S, gets around 1 day of snow per year (perhaps a bit less). Some years they don't see snow at all. Certainly it isn't NO snow, but it's very close.
Although mostly light events, Comodoro Rivadavia averages 4 days of snow per year (1961-1990), so I wouldn't set it as a place that doesn't get snow. The southernmost place in Argentina that averages under 1.0 day per year would be around Trelew (43S).

The southernmost place in Argentina where snow is unheard -never fell since the records are reliable- is around La Paz, Entre Ríos and San Justo, Santa Fe, at 31S. However, rain and snow mixed, graupel and ice pellets can fall everywhere in the country.

For more info: foro.gustfront.com.ar • Ver Tema - El thread de las nevadas en sitios inusuales

This thread is interesting, but should be a bit more specific.
What is exactly a place that doesn't get snow?
- A place where true snow was never ever recorded.
- A place that receives snow once each 10 years or more, so it's usually said it doesn't snow there.
- A place that has on average less than 1 snowy day per year (a more statistical approach).

A good region to look into places where snow was NEVER recorded would be the Chilean coast between 30S and 40S.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:44 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
- A place that receives snow once each 10 years or more, so it's usually said it doesn't snow there.
- A place that has on average less than 1 snowy day per year (a more statistical approach).
All these points apply for this thread.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:23 PM

839 posts, read 3,070,864 times
Quote:
Although mostly light events, Comodoro Rivadavia averages 4 days of snow per year (1961-1990), so I wouldn't set it as a place that doesn't get snow. The southernmost place in Argentina that averages under 1.0 day per year would be around Trelew (43S).

The southernmost place in Argentina where snow is unheard -never fell since the records are reliable- is around La Paz, Entre Ríos and San Justo, Santa Fe, at 31S. However, rain and snow mixed, graupel and ice pellets can fall everywhere in the country.

For more info: foro.gustfront.com.ar • Ver Tema - El thread de las nevadas en sitios inusuales

A good region to look into places where snow was NEVER recorded would be the Chilean coast between 30S and 40S.
Thanks for the correction. I'd like to have all the accurate data about snow in Argentina but it's so difficult to find. Where did you get the data about Comodoro Rivadavia?

Old 12-11-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the correction. I'd like to have all the accurate data about snow in Argentina but it's so difficult to find. Where did you get the data about Comodoro Rivadavia?
This value comes from an annual weather report in which anomalies respect the period 1961-1990 are shown. Further data comes from visits to the SMN in which I collected averages from various decades. Unfortunately SMN keeps archaic policies and isn't prone to release data... for more problems, some data are often inconsistent and even contradictory, but I've got to say it's about right for Comodoro Rivadavia. For instance, for the period 1961-1970 the amount of days with snow per year is 5.5.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:13 PM

839 posts, read 3,070,864 times
Quote:
This value comes from an annual weather report in which anomalies respect the period 1961-1990 are shown. Further data comes from visits to the SMN in which I collected averages from various decades. Unfortunately SMN keeps archaic policies and isn't prone to release data... for more problems, some data are often inconsistent and even contradictory, but I've got to say it's about right for Comodoro Rivadavia. For instance, for the period 1961-1970 the amount of days with snow per year is 5.5.
I always say to myself that I'm going to visit the SMN personally to collect the data that is absent from their website, but I always procrastinate because I'm very busy with work.

Do you have data about snow days for Bariloche, Esquel, Río Gallegos, Río Grande, and Ushuaia?

Old 12-12-2013, 01:26 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
The small township of Karamea, (41.10"S) which is on the coast about 90 km due west of here, has never recorded snowfall according to an amateur weather buff I met there. I haven't met anyone there that could remember snow in living memory. Even where I live, which is quite a bit colder in winter, snowfall would be about once in every 35-40 years.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:28 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Very rare snow in the Scilly Isles:

Old 12-12-2013, 03:50 PM

72 posts, read 112,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Nice gets snow every few years only and that's mostly on its hilly outskirts. It's probably even much more rare in Monaco and Menton which are both milder and more sheltered from cold fronts. All 3 cities are north of 43'N.
and all 3 cities are over rated and over priced ??? The weatherv is not so great I like central and so. california better !!!! I know I live on the French Border in Italy.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Do you have data about snow days for Bariloche, Esquel, Río Gallegos, Río Grande, and Ushuaia?
Yeah!! Ushuaia: 48 days (61-90), Bariloche: 24 days (61-90), Esquel: 22 days (61-90), Río Grande: 17 days (61-90), Río Gallegos: 13 days (61-90). Plus, the snowiest measured places of Argentina. Unfortunately, both stations are now closed: Cerro Catedral: 98 days (61-70), Cristo Redentor: 70 days (61-70).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather