Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 03:37 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,513,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Fair Isle has definitely seen snow in the past. Which I think rules it out of this?
Yep.

To never receive snow must be Corvo Island in the NW Azores in the NH, and in the SH it's perhaps Gough Island (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gough_Island#Climate) at 40.27 S although with its excessive July rainfall and an all-time record low of -2.6C I wouldn't rule sleet out there every one of five years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 03:39 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,932,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Yep.

To never receive snow must be Corvo Island in the NW Azores in the NH, and in the SH it's perhaps Gough Island (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gough_Island#Climate) at 40.26 S although with its excessive July rainfall and an all-time record low of -2.6C I wouldn't rule sleet out there every one of five years...
The Wikipedia picture for Gough Island clearly shows melting snow

Old 05-01-2017, 03:45 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,983,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Fair Isle at 60N. Record low of -5.6c and struggles to see frost in many winters.

Tiree at 56N is also a good contender.
With an average winter high of 6c, I would be doubtful if Fair Isle did not see snow.

Decoded synop reports

In any case, Fair Isle did record some snow on the 24th/25th April this year.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:50 PM

213 posts, read 176,202 times
In eastern North America certainly Bermuda. In Australia: Wollong.
Without absolutely snow there can be no place above 40 °.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:00 AM

1,056 posts, read 729,906 times
I'm not sure about all continents, but my best guesses (which are probably pretty close) for North America would be Brookings, OR for snowless in most years, San Francisco for places with only a few snows on record at most and Avalon, CA for completely snowless. Although Death Valley is the world's hottest place in summer and has no way of having snow almost ever, it has still recorded some snow, unlike Avalon.

In Asia, my best guess for snowless in most years is less probable. Despite its subfreezing winters, I'd be surprised if Turpan gets any snow more often than once every few years, as its winters are rather short for such cold averages and the climate is hyperarid.

Also, Bermuda doesn't count as eastern North America. It's not even on the continental shelf, let alone part of a contiguous U.S. state. It's just another tropical island in the North Atlantic, not unlike Cape Verde, the Lesser Antilles, the Azores or the Canary Islands.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I'm not sure about all continents, but my best guesses (which are probably pretty close) for North America would be Brookings, OR for snowless in most years, San Francisco for places with only a few snows on record at most and Avalon, CA for completely snowless. Although Death Valley is the world's hottest place in summer and has no way of having snow almost ever, it has still recorded some snow, unlike Avalon.

In Asia, my best guess for snowless in most years is less probable. Despite its subfreezing winters, I'd be surprised if Turpan gets any snow more often than once every few years, as its winters are rather short for such cold averages and the climate is hyperarid.

Also, Bermuda doesn't count as eastern North America. It's not even on the continental shelf, let alone part of a contiguous U.S. state. It's just another tropical island in the North Atlantic, not unlike Cape Verde, the Lesser Antilles, the Azores or the Canary Islands.
Santa Catalina Island looks like a good place for North America, it only snowed in the recent history of settlement in the island's mountains in 1949: https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=br

With a record of -2 ° C and the rainy and humid winter, it must have had a mixture of rain and snow in history, but it seems valid anyway.

Last edited by Kauan Mateus Kubaski; 01-22-2020 at 06:28 AM..

Old 01-22-2020, 06:26 AM

Bermuda is an archipelago, but I would like to mention only the region where it is closest, but it could refer to the northeast portion of the western hemisphere.

Turpan's winter gives a slight sense of what Antarctica looks like in transitory seasons, snow is frequent but almost always in traces.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:11 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,376,591 times
Here is a fantastic summary of snowfall events occurred in areas where they are uncommon, also mentioning where snow was never recorded and where accumulation has never happened -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_t...all_by_country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather