Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 06:10 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah18 View Post
These were taken yesterday while driving through central Idaho.
Screensaver photos. Just amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 06:12 AM

What a difference a month or even 2 wks makes.

Amazing what a little warmth and a lot of rain does for Tomato Plants.

Still a bit behind. Question is will I get ripe tomatoes by mid July like I usually do. Doesn't look promising yet.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:18 AM

3,990 posts, read 3,396,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Still a bit behind. Question is will I get ripe tomatoes by mid July like I usually do. Doesn't look promising yet.
Knowing that our climates are pretty similar, I never would have expected that they come so late there. They're a bit behind here too, but the first ripe tomatoes are already here (and the first ripe ones usually arrive in early June during normal years).

How come you only planted them mid-May? Has your spring been that cold?

Old 06-20-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksolina View Post
Knowing that our climates are pretty similar, I never would have expected that they come so late there. They're a bit behind here too, but the first ripe tomatoes are already here (and the first ripe ones usually arrive in early June during normal years).

How come you only planted them mid-May? Has your spring been that cold?
Not familiar with your climate there so can't comment on that much but reason why we have to wait until mid May here is because we typically still get frosts until then. Temps still can dip into 30s and daytime can still be in the 50s or even 40s (F°)

Mothers Day is the usual transplant date which is usually around mid May.

Plus consider the fact that the soils are still cold from the winter so it's never good to transplant sooner here. This year.. even though we had no frosts after mid May the soils were still cold going into June so nothing grew much.

In 2012 I transplanted them early May. I saw the pattern wasn't favoring frosts anymore. That was strange to do. I was tilling soft soil in February.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:36 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Lovely day.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:10 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Good photos. The sea is almost as flat as here. Is it like that often, or does Brighton get decent surf at times?

People in the last photo seem to be in winter dress mode.
it does get stormy at times... it was very flat that day, and water had unusual colour

Old 06-20-2014, 11:25 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Not familiar with your climate there so can't comment on that much but reason why we have to wait until mid May here is because we typically still get frosts until then. Temps still can dip into 30s and daytime can still be in the 50s or even 40s (F°)

Mothers Day is the usual transplant date which is usually around mid May.

Plus consider the fact that the soils are still cold from the winter so it's never good to transplant sooner here. This year.. even though we had no frosts after mid May the soils were still cold going into June so nothing grew much.

In 2012 I transplanted them early May. I saw the pattern wasn't favoring frosts anymore. That was strange to do. I was tilling soft soil in February.
In cold winter climates like yours, do tomato seeds survive in the ground over winter, and self germinate the following spring?

The majority of my tomatoes are self germinated ones. Wondering if it's the same where you live?

Old 06-20-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
In cold winter climates like yours, do tomato seeds survive in the ground over winter, and self germinate the following spring?

The majority of my tomatoes are self germinated ones. Wondering if it's the same where you live?
Yup. I get them growing in random spots in the ground so the answer is yes but we pull them and throw them.

In a short growing season its best to start indoors in March. Those self germinating ones come up in June and that's just not enough time to get yields from. I've pulled so many this month. but compare a 5" self germ to a 3 foot plant its obvious which method is better.. :-)

By end of September we're taking garden down. So really only 3 months of yeilds if started indoors.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:18 PM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times
Quote:
I don't know if you've experienced the scent that comes off the Lemon flowers...WOW.. Every year it's awesome, very strong soothing scent. Hope to get more lemons. I picked 3 last year. Only a 5yr old plant. Only outside 4 months a year

See the lemons on there?
My grandpa has some citrus trees. Mostly satsumas, and a few lemons, oranges, and kumquats. We usually get a pretty good harvest. I think most of them made it through this past winter, despite the much below normal temperatures (the avg low in January was 29 F). They were outside, left uncovered.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
He's from one of those odd parts of Europe whose climate oddly resembles coastal CT / NYC area except for the humid summers.

Zagreb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bridgeport, Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

some parts of northern Italy away from the coast come close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather