Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2017, 11:46 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
The difference between UK and NZ is much less than the difference between NZ and Rome. The implication of your statement above is that Motueka occupies some kind of middle ground between Ipswich and Rome. That's rather disingenuous: the truth is Ispwich and Motueka are in the same climatic neighbourhood whereas Rome is in a completely different country.

Motueka vs Rome: similar for coolest 6 months but for the warmest six months Rome is far, far warmer. That puts them in completely different conversations.

Motueka vs Ipswich: Motueka warmer and sunnier in winter, but still in the same ballpark. The rest of the year it's a wash.
There is no middle ground between climates - there are just climates.

Motueka resembles Rome very closely for six months of the year, and Ipswich for three months of the year. Sunshine is the same as Rome, and Rome's rain day totals , can be found in the area. Annual maximum for Rome, is 2C more than here, while Motueka's average maximum is nearly 3.7C greater than Ipswich.

I think your post illustrates a problem with classifications -I think they're useful as a tool for describing overall patterns, and and outcomes, but many fail to see that classification, isn't climate. I share a climate classification with Ipswich, but not a climate - three months, are roughly the same, but six months are also roughly the same as Rome. You might view climate as an absolute, but I just don't see it that way. Climates are what they are -my climate is oceanic, but it isn't Ipswich, by a long mile. My climate is similar to Rome, for half the year, but it isn't Mediterranean by a long mile either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Joe places huge emphasis on winter fruits and growing things in winter. He tends to rank climates soley on that Imo. If you can't pull an orange off your backyard tree he considers your climate some sort of failure. He has no interest in knowing how much our summer heat allows us to grow a huge variety of delicious fruits and vegetable. His typically response is we grow all that and more. There is a pattern of him always trying to one up NZ on everywhere else.
I think you're overreacting a bit. I'm very interested in what your summer climate allows you to grow, but from what I've seen, it's much the same a shere. I don't buy into climatic failure either -there are just climates, that I either like, or don't like.

Being able to grow oranges is great. Something my climate and Rome share

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
NZ has a decent enough climate, so I don't see why he feels the need to make far-fetched claims about it all the time.

What far fetched claims? Several sites in the Wellington show 23+ highs, and within the urban authority, 24C+ maximums -Wellington is not quite as small in area as you might think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 11:47 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,928,235 times
So where can I access the station data? This is the third or fourth time I've asked.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Joe's a nice guy with a very relaxed temperament. But whenever NZ's climate is the topic of discussion he has a tendency to be awfully silly!

Apparently Brits think that Dunedin is "unbelievably hot". I'd love to know what he's growing in that garden of his, some fine quality wacky back by the sounds of it. He gives it to tourists and then asks their opinions of NZ's climate
Not Bits, but a Brit - guy from Norwich. He also said the sea water here was too warm to cool off in. It's really quite common for Brits to say that NZ summers feel better -when you consider that between places with comparable maximums in the warmest month, the NZ location will typically have one or two non summer months warmer than the coolest UK month, then it's not surprising.

I'm surprised that you haven't delved any deeper into what you seem to think of as suspect claims, and have shown no interest in what these Brits (very few tourists in their number) have to say exactly. I think there do seem to be posters on here, that don't really have the inquiring mind (even if sceptical), that I think of as a hallmark of a true climate buff.

I never grow weed in the garden -the choppers come here every year. Another things Brits will say, is that the quality of outdoor weed in the UK is poor, just doesn't grow as well as here.
Quote:
So where can I access the station data? This is the third or fourth time I've asked.
Sorry, I thought it was only the second time. RWood -where are you?

Here's Masterton, about 60 km from downtown Wellington.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masterton#Climate.

Areas like Clareville reach 23C. https://en.climate-data.org/location/761918/

Last edited by Joe90; 06-10-2017 at 12:23 PM..

Old 06-10-2017, 12:05 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,342,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
the NYC stereotype to a lot of people in England is actually SNOW

that's probably as ridiculous a stereotype as it gets in world climate .

I blame 70s cop shows - Cagney and Lacey for one

I have used up many man hours correcting folk,and telling them that NYC gets pretty damn hot for much of the year
That's funny, considering NYC is warmer than all of England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
NYC's stereotype makes it seem like it has the climate of Schefferville, Quebec.
I hate it, and it's partially our fault (as a whole), I think most NYers don't realize how mild our winters are compared to 90% of the Northern U.S..

But I have to admit that I enjoy seeing southerners and people from the Caribbean sweat their asses off in the summer, because I'm sure most of them thought we had the same climate as Alaska at one point.

Last edited by Infamous92; 06-10-2017 at 12:16 PM..

Old 06-10-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Not Bits, but a Brit - guy from Norwich. He also said the sea water here was too warm to cool off in. It's really quite common for Brits to say that NZ summers feel better -when you consider that between places with comparable maximums in the warmest month, the NZ location will typically have one or two non summer months warmer than the coolest UK month, then it's not surprising.
But if we go by the three traditional summer months, Norwich isn't just a little warmer than Dunedin, the highs are possibly 3/4C higher depemdijg on which stations you use, and more prone to heatwaves. I struggle to believe how that "unbelievably hot" description has any basis in reality.

Quote:
I'm surprised that you haven't delved any deeper into what you seem to think of as suspect claims, and have shown no interest in what these Brits (very few tourists in their number) have to say exactly. I think there do seem to be posters on here, that don't really have the inquiring mind (even if sceptical), that I think of as a hallmark of a true climate buff.
What am I supposed to do? Hunt these people down and demand to know their opinions?

Quote:
I never grow weed in the garden -the choppers come here every year. Another things Brits will say, is that the quality of outdoor weed in the UK is poor, just doesn't grow as well as here.
Another example of the constant horticultural one-upmanship Tom was referring to

Although that anecdote is believable because it's also backed up by facts. NZ's climate is legitimately superior at growing those plants.

Last edited by Razza94; 06-10-2017 at 12:31 PM..

Old 06-10-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
But if we go by the three traditional summer months, Norwich isn't just a little warmer than Dunedin, the highs are possibly 3/4C higher and more prone to heatwaves. I struggle to believe how that "unbelievably hot" description has any basis in reality.
No argument from me. Dunedin is obviously has much cooler temperatures, and that's my original point - despite similar or even cooler temperatures between UK and NZ locations, Brits consistently say that the summers here feel warmer, longer, more intense. I don't mean to offend with this remark, it's just what they say... a lot.

Quote:
What am I supposed to do? Hunt these people down and demand to know their opinions?
I mean that you haven't asked anymore about my claims -there doesn't seem to be genuine inquiry on your behalf.

Quote:
Another example of the constant horticultural one-upmanship Tom was referring to

Although that anecdote is believable because it's also backed up by facts. NZ's climate is legitimately superior at growing those plants.
Why though? summers are the same, so there should be no difference.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:37 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,374,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
That's funny, considering NYC is warmer than all of England.

I hate it, and it's partially our fault (as a whole), I think most NYers don't realize how mild our winters are compared to 90% of the Northern U.S..

But I have to admit that I enjoy seeing southerners and people from the Caribbean sweat their asses off in the summer, because I'm sure most of them thought we had the same climate as Alaska at one point.
I've literally seen clueless morons from down here go to NYC in July or August and bring sweaters and coats with them because they think it's gonna be cold. And then they whine when they get to NYC about how hot it was and they didn't bring light clothing. Idiots.

Yeah, a lot of NY-ers have the tendency of acting like the worst winter cold snaps and the huge blizzards that occasionally occur is the "winter norm" for NYC.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
No argument from me. Dunedin is obviously has much cooler temperatures, and that's my original point - despite similar or even cooler temperatures between UK and NZ locations, Brits consistently say that the summers here feel warmer, longer, more intense. I don't mean to offend with this remark, it's just what they say... a lot.
I take no offence, I just find the claims interesting. After another look, I don't see how Dunedin's summers would even feel longer. It doesn't really start to look warmer in comparison until the winter months. NZ's summers would feel longer in general, but not at that location.

Quote:
I mean that you haven't asked anymore about my claims -there doesn't seem to be genuine inquiry on your behalf.
What's there to say? It is what it is.

I'll take your word on them, but they just seem odd. As I've said before, I'll have to see for myself. That's how I intend to inquire about it.

Quote:
Why though, I mean summers are the same?
Generally more reliable rainfall and sunshine pattern than the UK in general. There may also be differences in the soil quality, but I'm admittedly not up to speed in that subject. In fact you'd probably grow them in a pot?

Old 06-10-2017, 12:54 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,521,383 times
Quote:

Why though? summers are the same, so there should be no difference.
I thought it was just one guy from Norwich?

Old 06-10-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
I thought it was just one guy from Norwich?
No it's an assortment, but a guy from Norwich supposedly said that Dunedin's summers feel "unbelievably hot". Considering the fact that Dunedin's hottest month has an average high of 18.9C, compared to roughly around 22C for Norwich, with highs over 23C in the surrounding areas, you can understand why I found that anecdote very strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather