Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 10:22 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
What's your opinion overall. Is Helsinki better than London?

Personally, comparing the stats for Heathrow to Helsinki airport, I would give June & July to Helsinki since the higher sunshine levels compensate for the slightly weaker temperatures. The August sunshine hours in Helsinki are weaker, and the temperatures fall noticeably behind London's. So I'd give August to London. London wins throughout the rest of year due to stronger temperatures. Helsinki temps drop very quickly after August, and relative to the standards of London, it has a winter than lasts from October to ApriI.

IMHO, Portsmouth easily beats both of them.
I would take Dec-Jan and June-July for Helsinki and the rest of the year from London. So London wins 7 to 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
And Summer, and winter, just look at the climate of Helsinki (below)

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...lsinki/climate

and yet people are claiming that London is too cold! I am sceptical about sunshine hours in both Helsinki AND London but even if it is sunnier in July in Helsinki it would amount to what an hour a day at best? 8 hours (on average) instead of 7, is it worth it for 8 months of living in a fridge/freezer?
IDK if you are able to wrap your head around this, but yes, I'll rather take Helsinki's snowy winters than London's. The averages for London are too cold to feel comfortable in winter, but too warm to have a nice snowy one. It's like a limp penis after a binge. Not much to write home about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 10:24 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
London has a moderate climate. In summer it isn't hot like in the US, it might be in the 60s or a little above 70. Most of them complain because they want it hotter.

I was there a week ago and in MARCH it was 55 degrees vs below freezing back near Boston with snow. There were daffodils in full bloom and lots of other flowers too, bright green grass, trees coming into leaf. Granted, it had been a mild winter with an early spring, but it was really nice.

Here's a picture from Devon on the south coast taken about March 10th. People in shorts walking around. I'm not sure how far this is from London but the country is small and temperatures don't vary too much from one area to the other:

Old 03-24-2017, 10:27 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
Most summer days in London are above 70f. London is warmer than Devon almost every day outside of winter.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:39 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,927,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
London has a moderate climate. In summer it isn't hot like in the US, it might be in the 60s or a little above 70. Most of them complain because they want it hotter.

I was there a week ago and in MARCH it was 55 degrees vs below freezing back near Boston with snow. There were daffodils in full bloom and lots of other flowers too, bright green grass, trees coming into leaf. Granted, it had been a mild winter with an early spring, but it was really nice.

Here's a picture from Devon on the south coast taken about March 10th. People in shorts walking around. I'm not sure how far this is from London but the country is small and temperatures don't vary too much from one area to the other:
And when it does get hotter, everybody complains that it's too hot. We're just a nation of whingers

Old 03-24-2017, 10:46 AM
B87

Quote:
And when it does get hotter, everybody complains that it's too hot. We're just a nation of whingers
I haven't noticed that many people in the real world moaning about our summer temperatures. All of them have been on forums like here or Netweather.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:49 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,927,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I haven't noticed that many people in the real world moaning about our summer temperatures. All of them have been on forums like here or Netweather.
You want to try speaking to people from my neck of the woods. You really can't win with people up here.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:56 AM

13,487 posts, read 9,034,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That is not data from Portsmouth, it is from Southampton Weather Centre & it is just one year & as others have said the data from that site is not accurate at all...

I have just gone through the daily data from the Southsea (Portsmouth) weather station for the period 1976-2005 (same data used in the averages, as the last 30 years the station was open) & combining July & August the average absolute lowest daytime temperature is 17.1C. So yes temperatures are very rarely as low as 16C, the coldest July/August day in that 30 year period was 15.4C in 1977...

Old 03-24-2017, 11:13 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,820,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Really? Certainly here people complain about the weather, so I find it hard to imagine people don't in London. I think it's probably more the lack of sun than temperatures though. My sister certainly complained about the weather before she left London for Brisbane. Now she complains that it's far too hot!
She fits the stereotype pretty well when it comes to the moaning Brit and the weather.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:15 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
I don't really understand his point about water temp. I'm comparing Portsmouth to London and Helsinki. London isn't even on the sea, and Helsinki obviously has colder water.
Because for a lot of people summer weather is equated with activities near, in or on the water.

For these, it's nicer if the water is warm, or at least the air temperature is warm (as in California), or both.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:16 AM
B87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Really? Certainly here people complain about the weather, so I find it hard to imagine people don't in London. I think it's probably more the lack of sun than temperatures though. My sister certainly complained about the weather before she left London for Brisbane. Now she complains that it's far too hot!
She fits the stereotype pretty well when it comes to the moaning Brit and the weather.
You get a couple, but most people don't really mention the weather either way. I can imagine someone in Manchester or Newcastle moaning about the temperature, but not here.

Brisbane CBD isn't oppressively hot, most days in summer are around 27-29c, and it rarely reaches 32c+. It's also very breezy compared to here, which nullifies the humidity. I hardly ever used AC when I lived there, as opening the windows to create a breeze was usually enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather