Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 12:19 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Isn't that how most people feel?

It's hard to make that assumption conclusively.

If you look at the U.S., which has extensive subtropical regions that have lots of dynamic urban areas, fully half of the largest cities are still in the colder part of the country.

Obviously, not everyone who lives in the northern U.S. is there because they love the cold, but not everyone who lives in warmer areas loves the weather down there either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 12:20 PM

29,533 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
To be fair to Boston, this March is 4.4F below average, while London is over 4F above average. Last year Boston ended the month of March 4F above average, and they had 8 days over 55F including days in the upper 60'sF and upper 70'sF right on the water at Logan Airport. Just not good to make such short comparisons between climates.
March averages colder here than London by some 3C. However we get extreme swings in temps more cold than warm, which sucks for spring, but we still see more 60F+ and 70F+ days here on average than London does in the March. In fact right now we are pushing 80F/27C

Our averages over take London by late March or early April.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:37 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Generally speaking, it's true that relatively few people would like cold weather all the time.

But I would also say that the remaining mass of the population (most of us) is probably divided, somewhat more evenly than is acknowledged, between those who like seasonal variation (eg some variant of four seasons), and those who'd take warm to hot weather year-round.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:44 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, San Diego County where La Jolla is located is the notable exception in California when it comes to ocean water temperatures.

Even as far south as the LA area in mid-summer the water is still pretty cool.

But you already know this of course.

I think that is all relative though. Would someone who swims in the North Sea find the water temps of S. Calif cold. Or people from Argentina or New Zealand where the water is colder? The water in S. Calif routinely reaches and surpasses 70F in summer, some years more than others. It warms up and cools down based on the wind direction just like everywhere else.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:48 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I think that is all relative though. Would someone who swims in the North Sea find the water temps of S. Calif cold. Or people from Argentina or New Zealand where the water is colder? The water in S. Calif routinely reaches and surpasses 70F in summer, some years more than others. It warms up and cools down based on the wind direction just like everywhere else.
I found the sea in San Luis Obispo colder in late May, than the sea at home in late November. It was quite a shock.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:48 PM

5,738 posts, read 3,513,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
You get a couple, but most people don't really mention the weather either way. I can imagine someone in Manchester or Newcastle moaning about the temperature, but not here.

Brisbane CBD isn't oppressively hot, most days in summer are around 27-29c, and it rarely reaches 32c+. It's also very breezy compared to here, which nullifies the humidity. I hardly ever used AC when I lived there, as opening the windows to create a breeze was usually enough.
Not sure how long you lived in Brisbane but that doesn't seem right. Average summer maximum is 30°C and you can see here most days it's 29-31°C.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:13 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I found the sea in San Luis Obispo colder in late May, than the sea at home in late November. It was quite a shock.
That makes sense, SLO is north of Pt Concepcion, and therefore more in the path of the California Current. While LA and San Diego benefit from the Davidson Counter Current that makes sea temps 10-15°F warmer than SLO northward

Old 03-24-2017, 01:37 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's hard to make that assumption conclusively.

If you look at the U.S., which has extensive subtropical regions that have lots of dynamic urban areas, fully half of the largest cities are still in the colder part of the country.

Obviously, not everyone who lives in the northern U.S. is there because they love the cold, but not everyone who lives in warmer areas loves the weather down there either.
That's true, but it's largely driven by economics. For many decades, pretty much since the widespread adoption of commercial air-conditioning, there has been a clear trend of shifting demographics towards the south. There has been a great deal of migration from the frost belt towards the sun belt. Almost all of the the country's shrinking cities are in the the mid-west and north-east. Currently 23 of the 29 largest cities in Illinois are shrinking.

With the economy declining, less people are choosing to live in those places.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
March averages colder here than London by some 3C. However we get extreme swings in temps more cold than warm, which sucks for spring, but we still see more 60F+ and 70F+ days here on average than London does in the March. In fact right now we are pushing 80F/27C

Our averages over take London by late March or early April.

They are 1.2C ahead of us on the mean temp in March. In April we are 2.4C ahead of them. Based on their avg between March and April and our daily averages, I think we surpass them around March 29th. For the month of November we are .7C ahead of them. I assume sometime in late Nov early Dec they surpass us. Around 8 months total we are warmer vs 4 months colder.

I assume for your area it is more like 7 months vs 5. Your area would have to be later in April and not late March since we are far warmer than you in March and November.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

Well yeah that is more central CA coast near Morro Bay. Right now the buoy there is reading 55F vs 62F in San Diego CA. In summer the diff would probably be even higher given the orientation of the coast.

I just looked thru the buoy data for San Luis vs LaJolla. For early August 2016 San Luis was reading 17C while LaJolla was reading 24.9C. You think LaJolla would feel colder at 24.9C than your waters around NZ? I wonder what a shock it would feel for someone swimming at LaJolla at 24.9C and then jumping in your waters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather