Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 08:24 AM

83,564 posts, read 75,484,590 times

Advertisements

Just shown are last 2 years but you can get an idea how strange it feels not to be able to do outside work in March. 2012 was even earlier end of February I was tilling. Typically by mid March. I haven't even been able to straighten and clean anything outside.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 02:42 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,743,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
While most don't mind winter around here since a couple months later its another season, many are now fed up with it because it's dragging and continuing. Plow guys getting tired of plowing. It's like we haven't had a 2 week break from snow and we haven't had normal temps for couple days straight. Many use oil heat around here so they are pissed they need the heat on as much as a winter month

---------------
This morning is a beautiful Winter scene here in SWCT after 6.5" of fresh new snow fell within 12hrs. 19.4" this month. 59.3" for season (55 in 8wks)

Oil heating is still widespread? Strange that people use it in a cold winter climate since there are cheaper alternatives. Maybe the difference is less than here due to different tax policies.

Meanwhile 2° polewards:

Ficus macrophylla to the left!

Does Nice has a humid subtropical climate?

Ok, maybe not.

Spoiler

See, the few bare trees don't have much of an impact on the overall look of the place:

Looking to buy a home with the low real estate prices. This might be the one:

My future 'hood:

Yuck. At least it's sand.

Mountains pluge into the sea there:

Are they shooting a remake of Brice de Nice?

Spoiler

Still not a fan (no pun intended), but fan palms - the European one aside - don't look as out of place here:

...than there:

Old 03-22-2015, 02:45 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,241,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Oil heating is still widespread? Strange that people use it in a cold winter climate since there are cheaper alternatives. Maybe the difference is less than here due to different tax policies.

Meanwhile 2° polewards:

Ficus macrophylla to the left!

Does Nice has a humid subtropical climate?

Ok, maybe not.

Spoiler

See, the few bare trees don't have much of an impact on the overall look of the place:

Looking to buy a home with the low real estate prices. This might be the one:

My future 'hood:

Yuck. At least it's sand.

Mountains pluge into the sea there:

Are they shooting a remake of Brice de Nice?

Still not a fan (no pun intended), but fan palms - the European one aside - don't look as out of place here:

...than there:
That grass is so green in the second photo. Gorgeous.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:50 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,743,418 times
It can be, rain has been frequent lately. Frequent, as in every weekend.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Nat gas requires digging and pipe running and most folks don't want to spend the money to convert and most areas don't have the availability of Nat Gas. Electric is the most expensive. Many use firewood and I seen many with Propane but oil is the easiest and most abundant. I hate it and only use a wood stove for primary heat. My furnace never turns on except when in the single digits F in the mornings.

My neighbor asked for some extra firewood since he ran out. First time he used 6 cords and needed more.

People have been moving oil tanks inside their home because of winters freezing up pipes outside and environmental issues having it underground.

Good luck on the home find/purchase. yeah that grass is crazy green. Maybe fake?

Early afternoon look. Roof snow gone.That was FAST melting of 7" snowstorm. But ground snow remains. Grass is showing up in some places again. 35°F.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:11 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,448,220 times
I was in the Poconos again yesterday (March 21, 2015) for a hike. It was fun, and nice seeing the fresh snow cover.

Not sure how/when that tree got downed by the waterfall. It wasn't like that a mere eight days before, when I was in the same spot on March 13th!

Some sports were treacherous. Slipped on the ice here. Plenty of spots like this one were just ice underneath that fresh cover of a few inches of snow, due to some melting from the snowpack and subsequent refreezing. A few small cuts, no big deal. This is where I slipped.

Actually was able to walk on Boulder Field this time without the snow being an impediment. It was so packed and iced over that I could walk on it and not fall through. Here you can see, in the middle of the field, someone had stacked some rocks.

It snowed lightly while I was there. Can't really see it, but there were flurries coming down when I took this picture.

Last edited by snj90; 03-22-2015 at 03:20 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 03:14 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,467,647 times
Quote:
It can be, rain has been frequent lately. Frequent, as in every weekend.
I'd think from some of the photos that's a wetter place than it is. Neat foliage.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:32 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,688,280 times
The Kind of Subtropical Vegetation that can be grown in Nice is astounding.
Like the Queen Palms there.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:38 PM

29,556 posts, read 19,666,897 times
Chicago looking north from this morning. Went to the "W" last night and then to an after hours party at the Hancock.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:12 AM

March 23rd and still seeing trucks hauling away snow around here.

This is in Greenwich, CT. Route 1 this morning. Near I-95/Beaches. Look in background on right. Huge piles still around everywhere. Snow cover in Greenwich more scattered than points NE.

Ponds still frozen around here. Usually see this more in northern CT at the end of March, not near I-95.

Ground hog dives under the ice and goes swimming.

IMBY, no landscaping yet.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather