Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 11:10 AM

5,983 posts, read 4,279,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hard for anything back home to look exciting after you've been out west. Though you got nice trees and interesting plants there, but it's too flat for me. Meant to reply to this.
Yep. Hardly any mountains or canyons in Florida.
Though I do think the plant life is more interesting and diverse here than in most parts of the country. Part of the reason I want to start a botanical garden containing all FL native plants.

Quote:
Looks like a great trip, thanks for sharing your photos. I wanted to do that hike up Yosemite Falls when I visited Yosemite, family I was with wasn't interested. I assume it 78°F in the valley not at the top? 78°F at the top of the valley would mean very hot Central Valley temperatures. Forecast looks like it's around the mid 50s now:
Yes, 78F in Yosemite Valley. Probably about 70F at the top of the falls. Still too warm for strenuous hiking, especially in full sun.

Quote:
Point Reyes is beautiful; don't think a lot of visitors know about it. I visited it December 2013, it was all dried up when I went, looks prettier in your photos. Didn't get to the lighthouse; bottom section was closed. I think I forgot to add my lighthouse photo, it was very windy there. Here's from my trip:
It is beautiful. I think the grassy landscape, cliffs, and maritime(ish) climate make it look a lot like the UK or Ireland. The guy at the visitor center made it seem like it had 365 days of fog a year. Maybe it's just a lie they've fabricated to keep people away from this awesome place. I think it's more sunny than not.
Though I do think a lot of visitors know about it. According to this, it had 2.4 million visitors last year and is the 35th most visited NPS area.
https://irma.nps.gov/Stats/SSRSRepor...lendar%20Year)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 11:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
A local at the park told me the lighthouse area is usually fogged over April to October and sunny weather is infrequent, at least for California standards. The rest of Point Reyes isn't as bad , but the points and coast are often cloudy or foggy when most of San Francisco isn't.

POINT REYES LIGHT ST, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

Most of those visitors are probably local; it's only 50 miles from San Francisco.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:25 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Took a long walk at Bluefield Preserve in St. Lucie County. About 5 miles I think.

Near the trailhead. Nothing exciting.

Marsh from the observation tower

Xeric hammock with sand live oaks

Deer moss - a lichen.

In the baygall

Mostly loblolly bay in here. One of my favorite trees.

Stream flowing out of the baygall

Bridge needs a bit of a repair

More sand live oaks

This oak was the victim of a fire.

Unidentified insect in a pricklypear cactus flower
Great photos. I'm really getting a different impression of Florida vegetation now -quite diverse. I finally starting to come around to the notion of pines as warm climate trees.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:55 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,694,435 times
Quote:
How deep is that snow? I wonder if snow up at 800 m here is still fresh looking and deep.
It was less snow than usual for late March. I would say ca 25 -30 cm snow depth.
The hilltops had less snow as there had been a day with strong wind a few days earlier.
Dry and nice snow, although it got a little wet in Røros when the sun was at it strongest.

Snow recording in Røros municipality:
Røros (airport, 625 m): 17 cm
Aursunden (685 m): 71 cm
Håsjøen (650 m): 37 cm
Sølendet (760 m): 50 cm
-----------
Trondheim: 0 cm. Last recorded snow on the ground: 2 cm on February 18th.

Driving down the valley today, snow vanished at ca 400 m asl, although aspect did make a lot of difference.

On the west coast today E of Bergen, 282 cm snow depth at 700 m asl (Myrkdalen).

Old 03-29-2015, 03:28 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,735,386 times
No wonder why Monaco has such a mild climate. It's literally a mountainside town.

Another kind of mountain. This one is 4,600 m+ / 15,000 ft+ tall.

Sacromonte di Varallo

I'm not used to dead-looking vegetation anymore!

Beautiful subtropical vegetation on the banks of Lago Maggiore. There were royal palms and even a stunted coconut tree, better looking than the Newport Beach one. Unfortunately my battery was low, so you'll have to take my word for this.

Cheking left.

Checking right. Looks like I can cross.

Lenticular clouds

Lenticular clouds again

Quote:
Nope, Boston's 100 miles away. Nice doesn't count for you? Too small? I noticed you don't posted much photos of Nice, or at least in or near the city center. Are the surroundings more interesting?
Nice is nice. I just don't always have my camera with me, I bring it with me when I know I'm heading to a scenic place. I'd say a city with a 1 mio+ urban area qualifies as a big city, so Nice isn't quite there. The metro is just over one million though.

Quote:
Is nice to have big cities close by.
Can I excange Marseille with Barcelona?

Old 03-29-2015, 07:14 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,370,263 times
^^ Is that Mont Blanc in the second pic? Beautiful pics as always.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
No wonder why Monaco has such a mild climate. It's literally a mountainside town.
That's a lot of high rises for a small city / country.

Quote:
Another kind of mountain. This one is 4,600 m+ / 15,000 ft+ tall.
Monte Rosa? Massive looking mountains whatever it is. Nice photos, all of them.

Quote:
Beautiful subtropical vegetation on the banks of Lago Maggiore. There were royal palms and even a stunted coconut tree, better looking than the Newport Beach one. Unfortunately my battery was low, so you'll have to take my word for this.
Mountains rising above the lake remind me a bit of the North Cascades above Lake Chelan. Similar latitude, different climate (definitely no palm trees), though both are dry summer climates. Lake Mountains immediately nearby Lago Maggiore appear to be about 2000 m higher than lake level, about the same as Lake Chelan. Unlike Lagg Maggiore, the mountainous side of Lake Chelan is far away from civilization, with no cell phone service or roads that connect to civilization. Only facilities are for tourists and a few second homes.

Spoiler

Of course, no 4500+ m high mountains nearby.

Quote:
Lenticular clouds
Lot of 'em. Typical, or a weather pattern going on?

Quote:
Nice is nice. I just don't always have my camera with me, I bring it with me when I know I'm heading to a scenic place. I'd say a city with a 1 mio+ urban area qualifies as a big city, so Nice isn't quite there. The metro is just over one million though.
That's what cell phone camera are for. Wandering around a big city with an SLR camera is a bit awkward looking.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:41 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Great photos. I'm really getting a different impression of Florida vegetation now -quite diverse. I finally starting to come around to the notion of pines as warm climate trees.

What the southeast USA native forests looked before settlement.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6956..._comment_reply

Old 03-30-2015, 05:38 AM

83,529 posts, read 75,373,979 times
March snows are pretty cause it sticks to trees easier and makes for pretty landscapes. 8 days this month with snow falling. This time stuck instantly. Temp 31F. Only some parts of back roads it stuck otherwise a non event.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:56 AM

83,529 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Some awesome Satellite pictures of the snow cover in CT and Long Island. I believe those solid white areas in CT are frozen Ponds, Lakes and Streams! April is in 2 days

http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/imagery/gallery.cgi

https://earthdata.nasa.gov/labs/worldview/?p=geographic&l=MODIS_Aqua_CorrectedReflectance_Tr ueColor(hidden),MODIS_Terra_CorrectedReflectance_T rueColor,Reference_Labels(hidden),Reference_Featur es(hidden),Coastlines(hidden)&t=2014-12-10&v=-82.418621875,35.547933984375,-72.9879578125,41.067465234375

Look at Lake Erie vs Ontario.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather