Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick one
15-30 March (never happened) 0 0%
1-15 April 0 0%
16-30 April 3 5.45%
1-15 May 6 10.91%
16-31 May 14 25.45%
1-15 June 14 25.45%
16 June or later 18 32.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 11:57 AM

29,533 posts, read 19,626,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I've been there, it felt obviously in the city and not outlying. Not really city center, but still rather urban. Is there any official station closer? Is Greenwich closer? Somehow Greenwich felt further out to me and a bit more separate from London.
I was in London for a few days 15 years ago. I don't remember much about the layout of the city to be honest. I was there for a wedding before we made our way to Greece.

Looks like Heathrow may not see an 80 until the end of June or early July?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 12:00 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
Eh, how on earth can anybody argue that it hasn't hit 80F in London when an official met office station that is actually closer to the centre of London than Heathrow has recorded it? The title of this thread isn't 'When will Heathrow reach 80F'

Loads of other users on here, particularly the American ones use multiple stations for their cities - most of all LA-Mex. London may not have a great deal of micro climates, but certainly they do exist and for such a large city there are bound to be differences across the city. People could easily use the warmest station - London WC - to claim that central London averages 5C lows in January and 15.5C lows in July, but nobody regularly quotes that station as far as I know.

Heathrow is hardly even representative of what I would call central London anyway, where tourists would actually visit. I live 5 minutes away from it and the area is very green and not a huge urban UHI zone.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:02 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Eh, how on earth can anybody argue that it hasn't hit 80F in London when an official met office station that is actually closer to the centre of London than Heathrow has recorded it? The title of this thread isn't 'When will Heathrow reach 80F'

Loads of other users on here, particularly the American ones use multiple stations for their cities - most of all LA-Mex. London may not have a great deal of micro climates, but certainly they do exist and for such a large city there are bound to be differences across the city. People could easily use the warmest station - London WC - to claim that central London averages 5C lows in January and 15.5C lows in July, but nobody regularly quotes that station as far as I know.

Heathrow is hardly even representative of what I would call central London anyway, where tourists would actually visit. I live 5 minutes away from it and the area is very green and not a huge urban UHI zone.
Have you ever seen a heat island map for london? Heathrow is right in the dark red along with the city center...

Old 06-13-2015, 12:06 PM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I've been there, it felt obviously in the city and not outlying. Not really city center, but still rather urban. Is there any official station closer? Is Greenwich closer? Somehow Greenwich felt further out to me and a bit more separate from London.
St James' Park is right in the centre of London, but in a big park, that is an offical Met Office station too...

Old 06-13-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Have you ever seen a heat island map for london? Heathrow is right in the dark red along with the city center...
That data is for one day..

I have posted this many times, I live right next to the place and it isn't a substantially built up area, it is surrounded by reservoirs (one of which is right near to my house) only to the east is it really built up, and even then it is just houses and shops, nothing more than a few stories high. Like a small town basically. If you went and looked around the area, and then went to central London with the much larger buildings and skyscrapers that are densely packed together, anybody with a basic weather knowledge would be able to see that the UHI factor would be much higher there.

Somebody even worked out 20 years worth of averages for London WC, and although it is 10 years short of data for it to really be 100% reliable, it shows minima averaging above 5C in January, and 15.5C in July. If you look on the UHI thread I also posted data from London City station for August 1995, where 1/3 of the days had 20C+ lows, compared to a few in Heathrow.

Look at 2003 August at the City station.

[url]http://en.tutiempo.net/climate/08-2003/ws-37683.html[/url]

August 1995
[url]http://en.tutiempo.net/climate/08-1995/ws-37683.html[/url]

And 2003 at London WC
[url]http://en.tutiempo.net/climate/08-2003/ws-37790.html[/url]

Old 06-13-2015, 12:43 PM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
That heat island map for 8th August 2003 that people love to use to try and prove that Heathrow is in the UHI has one flaw. All it shows is a front; Farnborough which is to the SW but the same distance from Heathrow as High Wycombe, recorded the same temperature as Heathrow. Farnborough is certainly not part of any UHI under any circumstances.

Heat islands have no effect during the day. Heathrow is obviously a few degrees cooler than central at night.

This is a true heat island map. Heathrow is around the 0/+1 boundary.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
That heat island map for 8th August 2003 that people love to use to try and prove that Heathrow is in the UHI has one flaw. All it shows is a front; Farnborough which is to the SW but the same distance from Heathrow as High Wycombe, recorded the same temperature as Heathrow. Farnborough is certainly not part of any UHI under any circumstances.

Heat islands have no effect during the day. Heathrow is obviously a few degrees cooler than central at night.

This is a true heat island map. Heathrow is around the 0/+1 boundary.
I live near Heathrow, practically right next to it yet people try and tell me that it is this massive urban zone with a huge UHI!

Would be interesting if there was a station right in the centre though..

Old 06-13-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I live near Heathrow, practically right next to it yet people try and tell me that it is this massive urban zone with a huge UHI!

Would be interesting if there was a station right in the centre though..
Landing over London from the east. Low density suburban areas around the airport.

Landing from the west. Fields and reservoirs.

Hardly a huge UHI.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:48 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:

Everything has to be consistent. For example, someone from LA could use downtown data for their high temperatures in the summer because they are the warmest, but use the low temperatures for their airport because they are the warmest. Guess what, it doesn't work that way.

Last edited by Botev1912; 06-14-2015 at 12:00 AM..

Old 06-14-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Everything has to be consistent. For example, someone from LA could use downtown data for their high temperatures in the summer because they are the warmest, but use the low temperatures for their airport because they are the warmest. Guess what, it doesn't work that way.
But nobody has been doing that here, yet people kick up a fuss. When it happens for NYC, LA or Chicago, nobody cares.

Last edited by B87; 06-14-2015 at 04:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather