Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick one
15-30 March (never happened) 0 0%
1-15 April 0 0%
16-30 April 3 5.45%
1-15 May 6 10.91%
16-31 May 14 25.45%
1-15 June 14 25.45%
16 June or later 18 32.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 02:59 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,736,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
It's going to be hot next week.
I don't check the models daily, but don't recall seeing such hot temps at 850 hPa. Pretty sure the next run will be much moderate. I'll eat my hat if it reaches 25/26°C over SE England and northern France. But that's all I hope for you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 03:01 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Well, a very large proportion of the US has been getting brutal winters, Florida and the west coast aside. I meant to say the midwest and eastern US in particular, though

Actually the majority of the US land area last winter was either above average or at average for Dec to Feb 2015. Not just FL in the east but SC and GA were just about average, and so were Texas and OK. Florida, Texas, CA have 81M people. It was the Midwest and Northeast that were very cold.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
For our sake I hope this pattern persists

I'd do the same if the stuck pattern was giving me mild winters.

No matter how cold a summer we get, it will be warmer than your summer lol. Our coldest July on record I'm pretty sure is warmer than the warmest on record there. So there.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:23 PM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
We've had 30 day spells hotter than an average Chicago summer in terms of highs before, plus it would be hilarious if we got a calendar month in summer hotter than Chicago, plus a hotter absolute high, especially in July.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:24 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,413,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Actually the majority of the US land area last winter was either above average or at average for Dec to Feb 2015. Not just FL in the east but SC and GA were just about average, and so were Texas and OK. Florida, Texas, CA have 81M people. It was the Midwest and Northeast that were very cold.
I wasn't aware of that, but yeah of course NE USA and the midwest have been having terrible (if you hate cold) winters for the last two years now, and I think you guys are stuck in that pattern for now I'm afraid. But of course, even if your summers are below average, you have the luxury of knowing that they will at least still be warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'd do the same if the stuck pattern was giving me mild winters.

No matter how cold a summer we get, it will be warmer than your summer lol. Our coldest July on record I'm pretty sure is warmer than the warmest on record there. So there.
Yeah, I'm not too bothered as I know it would be pushing it to reach positive anomalies that high! I love recording large positive anomalies, but even 25C in the sun feels very pleasant, so I won't complain if we get a nice pleasant July that is only slightly above average

Old 06-24-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
We've had 30 day spells hotter than an average Chicago summer in terms of highs before, plus it would be hilarious if we got a calendar month in summer hotter than Chicago, plus a hotter absolute high, especially in July.

I told you it would be a hoot on this forum to watch that play out. I want Karma for all the bragging and wishing he did the last two winters about the brutal cold. His posts were relentless showing every single model he could as long as it was cold lol.

I'm going to keep watching the models ten day forecasts. Right now London is showing warmer than Chicago 8 days out. I'll wait till it gets closer to show days of London being above Chicago.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:50 PM

29,543 posts, read 19,636,351 times
Quote:
We've had 30 day spells hotter than an average Chicago summer in terms of highs before,
When exactly, and what was the 30 say average high?

Quote:
plus it would be hilarious if we got a calendar month in summer hotter than Chicago, plus a hotter absolute high, especially in July.
So far out absolute max is 34C, and probably the high for the season as per what the long range models are showing

Old 06-24-2015, 03:59 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,820,219 times
Wow, this would be incredible if it happened!

Clearly it won't happen though. I mean, come on! This is ridiculous lol. All this is doing is building up excitement and anticipation for what will likely be a massive downgrade.
I hope it does happen as the temperature in the SE will surely be over 40C.

It won't happen, but if it does I'll eat my own penis. It won't be a big meal either BTW.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:04 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,413,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Wow, this would be incredible if it happened!

Clearly it won't happen though. I mean, come on! This is ridiculous lol. All this is doing is building up excitement and anticipation for what will likely be a massive downgrade.
I hope it does happen as the temperature in the SE will surely be over 40C.

It won't happen, but if it does I'll eat my own penis. It won't be a big meal either BTW.
LOL

Yeah, I won't be getting excited until this is still showing in 4 days time.. but it is encouraging, who knows, it could even upgrade?! I think the chances right now are against this happening though.

I really hope for interest sakes that this does come off, though.. we have perfect conditions for extreme heat. The ground here is very dry, just 14mm in the last 45 days. Also the days are at their longest now and the sun is at its strongest, so if we did get those sorts of 850s then we'd have a longer length of time to heat up with a stronger sun than we did in August 2003. 40C would surely be possible..

But let's wait for now, although I am excited at the possibility

Old 06-24-2015, 04:12 PM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
When exactly, and what was the 30 say average high?

21 Jun - 20 Jul 1976 had an average high of 29.3c.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather