Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 07:51 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,412,128 times

Advertisements

Hmmm I don't think people are thinking this through rationally or have learned from mistakes in our history

Old 03-04-2016, 07:57 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Hmmm I don't think people are thinking this through rationally or have learned from mistakes in our history
Actually, it is history that reinforces why islam is a threat.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:00 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,777,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
He may be crazy at times but he one of the very few politicians in this country that takes the threat posed by the Islamic State very seriously and I'm not sure how seriously Rubio or Kasich take the threat the IS poses. However, Trump has areas that hurt him. Said areas include being arrogant and the fact that he has berated Republicans at times.
Your statement regarding Trump being the only one taking ISIL seriously is completely false. However, because of his lack of filter and penchant for inhumane, racist actions, military or otherwise make it seem that way when in reality he's just blowing hot air and rallying the uneducated U.S into a frenzy. Trump, in my opinion, is nearly as bad as Sanders.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Dear god Trump is obnoxious. Kasich is the only reasonable one. So embarrassing.
Btw, Ariete: Kasich mentioned Finland!

Old 03-04-2016, 08:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
In exactly the same way as deporting millions of them from your country just based on their religion would do..
I think Trump suggested not allowing additional Muslim immigration not deporting Muslim already here [legally].

Old 03-04-2016, 08:03 AM

I still haven't gotten around to watching the debate. I'll do that on youtube. Those debates are on too late at night for me. I did hear Trump supposedly softened his immigration stance... however, he put out a press statement today clarifying the position:

Quote:
- MARCH 04, 2016 -

DONALD J. TRUMP POSITION ON VISAS

"Megyn Kelly asked about highly-skilled immigration. The H-1B program is neither high-skilled nor immigration: these are temporary foreign workers, imported from abroad, for the explicit purpose of substituting for American workers at lower pay. I remain totally committed to eliminating rampant, widespread H-1B abuse and ending outrageous practices such as those that occurred at Disney in Florida when Americans were forced to train their foreign replacements. I will end forever the use of the H-1B as a cheap labor program, and institute an absolute requirement to hire American workers first for every visa and immigration program. No exceptions."
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-r...ition-on-visas

Still much better on immigration than the other candidates.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:24 AM

13,486 posts, read 9,032,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
What makes you think I endorse the idea that immigration--white or otherwise--is a good thing for the original Americans? I.e., the Americans whose origins go back to the original colonial settlements. A country where the inhabitants don't share that basic blood connection with one another is inherently dysfunctional.
So you don't agree with your parents (or grandparents? whoever it was) that originally emigrated to the USA? I find that a very bizarre stance to take when you yourself were born in the USA & had they not emigrated there you may never have even been born lol...

Just about every single country in the world has been made up of a mix of ethnicities & cultures, I really don't understand what is so bad about people moving elsewhere? If everyone has the same "blood connection" as you put it within a few generations there would be a fair amount of inbreeding! But essentially we are all human & the world belongs to us all... Your notion that a country that is multicultural is "inherently dysfunctional" is completely ridiculous & shows you to be rather racist & xenophobic (which isn't really a surprise to anyone on here...

You are a walking talking contradiction, quite amusing...

Old 03-04-2016, 08:28 AM

29,537 posts, read 19,632,331 times
Quote:
Hmm, I agree that Islam can be interpreted in different ways (personally I find all religion stupid) but some people are too quick to pull out the fear card when it comes to all muslims, yes there is a small minority that take a ridiculous interpretation of it to suit their terrorist agendas, but the vast majority of muslims are peaceful loving people like the rest of us.
Of course I agree with this too.

Quote:
I have a few Muslim friends who are all great and nice people, they drink etc and don't take it too seriously, they are fully integrated into the UK society and culture, more than say a lot of Asians or other Eastern Europeans at my university. By trying to target the few (a tiny percentage of the whole Muslim population) in the minority that are a threat to society by banning all Muslims from the country entirely, that is just too far and not at all fair to the millions of peaceful loving Muslims.

Interesting. From what I've seen via Vice, Muslims in the UK seem to be less assimilated than other groups.

Quote:
What about the KKK in the US? I watched a documentary the other week and there is still a fan base for it (even though very small) but probably equal to the number of potential terroists from Muslim backgrounds in the US or even more, so that's why I don't think what Trump says can hold any truth.
Not sure about the KKK. They are a hate group, not a terrorist group. They are also internal, so it's not the same. The US in under no obligation to accept immigrants from any country (even from Greece where I am from). Especially if we are essentially in a state of war with elements in that country.

Btw, Trump did denounce the KKK.

Donald Trump denounces David Duke, KKK - CNNPolitics.com

And no, I can't see myself voting for him....

Quote:
That article is from the Daily Mail and therefore the sources have to be reputed, I don't think that statistic sounds correct.. however to the original argument, of course there is a problem with ISIS that needs to be defeated, but banning all Muslims from the US is not the right answer. IS basically originated thanks to the West's intervention in the middle east, and whilst I do not want another Iraq war and would rather leave that part of the world to sort out its own problems, clearly ISIS is not going to go away until it is destroyed, and unlike Irag and Afghanistan, ISIS poses a real terror threat to the western world.

I hate to say it, but I think ground troops in Syria and Iraq is the only solution to get rid of ISIS, the current air campaign is just costly and useless, unlike Iraq and other operations in the past, this would actually be justified

ISIS grew in response to the US pulling out of Iraq prematurely. Prior to Obama pulling out of Iraq, it seemed as if the situation was stabilizing. Since the US decided to get itself involved, we should have realized that this would have been a decade long commitment.... Just like we've had troops on the Korean peninsula for 60+ years now. And unfortunately, much of the world relies on Mideast oil. We have to make sure that this oil flow freely.

Last edited by nei; 03-04-2016 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 03-04-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
ISIS grew in response to the US pulling out of Iraq prematurely. Prior to Obama pulling out of Iraq, it seemed as if the situation was stabilizing. Since the US decided to get itself involved, we should have realized that this would have been a decade long commitment.... Just like we've had troops on the Korean peninsula for 60+ years now. And unfortunately, much of the world relies on Mideast oil. We have to make sure that this oil flow freely.
The pullout was already planned; the stabilization was unraveling before the US pulled out due to Sunni unhappiness. American troops in South Korea aren't a local target, American troops were there for a decade, only way to stop an ISIS in Iraq by the US would involve a permanent large occupation.

Mideast oil is one of many oil regions, a stop in Iraqi oil won't be that drastic. And in any case we're in an oil glu

Old 03-04-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I find that a very bizarre stance to take when you yourself were born in the USA & had they not emigrated there you may never have even been born lol...
Nothing to do with what I said. Now you're straying into a philosophical conundrum that is irrelevant to this discussion (i.e., by changing the past, you would change the circumstances that led to your coming into existence. Might as well say nothing about the past should have been different, or else you run the same risk. But in reality the past cannot be changed regardless of what we say about it, and there is no harm in debating its merits from the standpoint of those who lived in the past.)

Quote:
Just about every single country in the world has been made up of a mix of ethnicities & cultures
Small-scale and gradual absorption of other elements has always happened and will continue to do so, but forming a society based on nothing but ideas (like the USA being about "freedom" and not blood kinship) is inherently dysfunctional.

Quote:
If everyone has the same "blood connection" as you put it within a few generations there would be a fair amount of inbreeding!
Nonsense. Humankind managed just fine without massive immigration, and most people married within their village, and still do. You are essentially arguing that what has worked and been the norm historically is unworkable, which is preposterous.

Quote:
But essentially we are all human & the world belongs to us all...
That has never been the case because humans organize in tribes, and at a higher level, nations.

Quote:
Your notion that a country that is multicultural is "inherently dysfunctional" is completely ridiculous & shows you to be rather racist & xenophobic (which isn't really a surprise to anyone on here...
As usual, the use of leftist buzzwords is a substitute for reason.

Quote:
You are a walking talking contradiction
You hold that distinction, as a gay man who cheers for Muslim immigration to Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather