Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 07:30 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,971,574 times

Advertisements

Here are some photos of the March 12 snow.

Some plants were probably negatively affected.

The roads stayed wet.

A few days later I hiked in Umstead State Park. It still looked a lot like winter.

A recently fallen tree.

A nice bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 08:01 PM

5,741 posts, read 3,516,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
Here are some photos of the March 12 snow.

Some plants were probably negatively affected.

The roads stayed wet.

A few days later I hiked in Umstead State Park. It still looked a lot like winter.

A recently fallen tree.

A nice bridge.
Great stuff!

Old 03-24-2017, 08:13 PM

Today I went back into the North Saskatchewan River valley, this time near Fort Edmonton footbridge. The walk goes along the sheltered north-facing slopes of the valley so there was still decent snow cover--again in an old and decaying state.

The trail through the valley.

Small (man-made) wetlands still frozen.

For the history buffs.

Indicative view of what the snow cover is like with a park bench for perspective.

There's a small neighbourhood in this part of the river valley; their streets are a mess.

Terrain opens up as you approach the river.

And here's the river itself, starting to thaw.

There are two small ski hills within Edmonton city limits; only one of them is still open.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
I like the first photo; cozy but gloomy. Would have guessed it was that far north and west.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:16 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,788 times
Here are some examples of places in Umeå that don't have snow.

Back in Tavelsjö and the willows planted there are (starting to?) look kinda fluffy. It's not leaves or anything, but maybe the buds are growing larger or the twigs changing color or something.

Someone has got these weird bushes/trees on their yard that have bloomed these extremely colorfully orange flowers? Buds? I don't know what since they were a bit away, but it looked cool.

Anyone want some lingonberries?

On our way home from the evening walk with the dog, the ice started to freeze up, and of course the temperature was 1'C above freezing... Either way, it looked really cool when the muddy water started to freeze. I've never seen anything like it before oddly enough.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:14 AM

341 posts, read 341,468 times
When this happens, you know It's the better part of year starting in ŁÃ³dź, Poland:

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ZielnikLodz...type=3&theater

Old 03-25-2017, 05:20 AM

270 posts, read 187,637 times
nice weather today. these are from borås. 9C and mostly clear.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:26 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,788 times
Yeah, a sunny 7'C here as well. Very nice indeed, and our dog seems to like it as well

The sun does its job as well

It's pretty hard to know what is actually growing because it's spring and what has just kept its green color through the winter. For example, is this just last year's growth or is it new growth?

This rhubarb plant has at least surfaced now

Old 03-25-2017, 08:03 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,189,310 times
Beautiful day outside. Two pics from today:

Old 03-25-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Here are some examples of places in Umeå that don't have snow.

Back in Tavelsjö and the willows planted there are (starting to?) look kinda fluffy. It's not leaves or anything, but maybe the buds are growing larger or the twigs changing color or something.

Someone has got these weird bushes/trees on their yard that have bloomed these extremely colorfully orange flowers? Buds? I don't know what since they were a bit away, but it looked cool.

Anyone want some lingonberries?

On our way home from the evening walk with the dog, the ice started to freeze up, and of course the temperature was 1'C above freezing... Either way, it looked really cool when the muddy water started to freeze. I've never seen anything like it before oddly enough.
Nice! And I thought lingonberries were an Ikea creation!

I think we're further ahead in meltage here. Not surprising given the latitude and the fact that our average temperatures are now higher than yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather