Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 07:18 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
I'm not staying in my house lol. No ****ing way. I am staying in Miami though.
Is your house too close to the water? Or you going to a shelter or more sturdy building
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 07:25 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,778,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Is your house too close to the water? Or you going to a shelter or more sturdy building
I live on an island lol, not the best place to be during a hurricane even though my house isn't particularly close to the water.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:49 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The track on the middle of Florida means the east coast of Florida gets the weaker side of the storm wind wise. And less of the storm will be over the Atlantic so less storm surge? Much worse for the west side but the storm should weaken faster with it over land
Whoops I missed up which side of the storm is the worst

Old 09-08-2017, 09:52 AM

29,546 posts, read 19,640,423 times
https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/906180738931941376

Old 09-08-2017, 12:50 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
If I may ask, my wife has family in I believe Port Charlotte. They left to stay with other family in Orlando. Are they better off in Orlando, or should they get out of Florida all together?
Stay in Orlando. There are no evacuation orders for Central Florida and it's probably more dangerous to be on the road with all the traffic and delays. You are probably the safest place in Florida.

Last forecast I see has the hurricane going right up the peninsula, bad news for S. Florida but they take the brunt of it and the hurricane dies quickly when the eye goes over land, real quick. By the time it hits Orlando it will be cat. 1.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:11 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
admittedly I'm not a Hurricaneologist, but why aren't they giving any credence to Irma just heading on straight into the gulf to do it's nasty business over on the other side since it's been heading that way all along...an object in motion tends to stay in motion...pressure, smeshure, we've got Newton' Law here folks.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:46 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
admittedly I'm not a Hurricaneologist, but why aren't they giving any credence to Irma just heading on straight into the gulf to do it's nasty business over on the other side since it's been heading that way all along...an object in motion tends to stay in motion...pressure, smeshure, we've got Newton' Law here folks.
That's actually the worst possible scenario, that and it traveling up the east coast. The hurricane indeed could hit Florida, weaken at the eye goes over land, arrive at the west coast, hit the warm gulf water, and explode into category 5 again just like Andrew and Katrina. Who know it might.

Heading up the Florida peninsula however is the best possible scenario for the rest of the southeast outside of simply turning south or reversing course. Florida is the hurricane sponge. It won't even be a hurricane by the time it reaches Georgia or even N. Florida. Florida suffers so that other states may live!

Old 09-08-2017, 04:16 PM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Stay in Orlando. There are no evacuation orders for Central Florida and it's probably more dangerous to be on the road with all the traffic and delays. You are probably the safest place in Florida.

Last forecast I see has the hurricane going right up the peninsula, bad news for S. Florida but they take the brunt of it and the hurricane dies quickly when the eye goes over land, real quick. By the time it hits Orlando it will be cat. 1.
Orlando is gonna get torn apart bart. The eye is over 35 miles wide and the forward speed of the storm is really gonna pick up so that means the storm will stay stronger longer over land vs a slow moving storm over land.

The kink in the upper levels never dug down deep enough to push the storm east of the state. So from Tampa east to the east coast is gonna get rippedup pretty bad unless the track keeps changing more to the west.
No matter how ya cut it, there will be no power for most of the state for weeks. Think of no A/C in this heat pete.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:03 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,893,184 times
I guess they will be in Orlando no matter what. Wife mother called and begged them all to leave, and they refused, so they are there to stay.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:29 PM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I guess they will be in Orlando no matter what. Wife mother called and begged them all to leave, and they refused, so they are there to stay.
They may luck out. Storm is moving a tiny bit south of due west and no turn as of yet. This could end up in the gulf and swing up more to the north. If the ridge don't start breaking down the track is gonna change more to the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather