Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2022, 11:26 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,233,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Yes definitely where the warm air clashes with the cold

but the cold wins out for at least the next 15 days

So how long does it last? Well I was concerned that the PV split will take a big bite out of spring but Snodgrass says that there PV will recover fairly quickly and believes that the cold will not last through the entire duration of March. We'll see

I agree with Snodgrass, I don’t think that this March and April will be cold and snowy and that March and April may be close to average in temperatures overall for the eastern United States(east of the Mississippi River), I am NOT saying winter is completely over but I feel that aside from a cold pattern over the next two weeks or so that spring should be roughly on time for most areas this year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 11:57 AM

26,456 posts, read 46,728,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I agree with Snodgrass, I don’t think that this March and April will be cold and snowy and that March and April may be close to average in temperatures overall for the eastern United States(east of the Mississippi River), I am NOT saying winter is completely over but I feel that aside from a cold pattern over the next two weeks or so that spring should be roughly on time for most areas this year
As long as low temperatures stay well below freezing for parts of this month in the Ohio Valley- with a few more snow chances that would be great. Nothing worse than these yokels overly enjoying 20-30F above average temperatures thinking that Spring is here, not having a clue that you don't want vegetation to emerge far too early. I had a severe freeze in May 2020 that destroyed some of my fruit trees, it got down to 23F on May 21st, which is quite crazy considering the intense May sun angle at this latitude- so much for the "low latitude strong sun angle" excuse. It really depends on the weather pattern sometimes.

Old 03-04-2022, 04:53 PM

30,523 posts, read 21,415,313 times
A nasty 89f in Tampa and broke another record. Always heat records and never cold.

Old 03-04-2022, 05:08 PM

5,920 posts, read 6,146,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I had a severe freeze in May 2020 that destroyed some of my fruit trees, it got down to 23F on May 21st, which is quite crazy considering the intense May sun angle at this latitude- so much for the "low latitude strong sun angle" excuse.
huh?...
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...th=5&year=2020

According to that it only got down to 55F in the Louisville area in the second half of May 2020.

Old 03-04-2022, 06:08 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,765,054 times
If they don't stop monkeying with our fore cast we are going to have another freeze in the coming weeks. Shaving a few degrees at a time is adding up.

Old 03-04-2022, 06:47 PM

26,456 posts, read 46,728,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
huh?...
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...th=5&year=2020

According to that it only got down to 55F in the Louisville area in the second half of May 2020.
I could be thinking of April, but you are correct that it was likely either May 9th or 11th instead with that low temperature. I have zero in common with Louisville as low temperatures here are often 6-10F cooler at nearly double the elevation of the city...

Old 03-04-2022, 06:57 PM

5,043 posts, read 4,367,404 times
Quite warm this weekend with temps in the 80's and humidity coming. Turning cooler and damp next week with a couple of highs in the 50's possible. May get some freezes next weekend.

Old 03-04-2022, 07:55 PM

5,920 posts, read 6,146,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Something is off with those numbers.

Kamloops is warmer than Ottawa almost every single month of the year--usually significantly so. The only exception is June when Ottawa is 0.1°C warmer. If you look at the maximum temperatures instead of means the difference is even more stark. How can Ottawa have 100 more growing degree days?
Looks like the average temperatures they have for Ottawa are pretty similar to the Wikipedia ones. The data they have for Kamloops is cooler by 1-2C though. Maybe they modeled the data using grid cells, which at the resolution they used, is not prone to cause problems in Eastern Canada, but can cause significant problems in BC where there's big differences between valleys and mountains (which might fall into the same grid cell)? It seems like each grid cell is about 5x8km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
As for Victoria being below places like Sudbury and Quebec City, that is completely misleading even if it turns out to be mathematically correct. There's nothing that will grow there that won't grow better here.
Not even annuals? I know for many warm weather vegetables, the kinds of temperatures Victoria gets are rather non-ideal. Granted, Quebec City and Sudbury's climates aren't ideal either for those vegetables either. But like I think you could still grow some fast maturing/northern adapted varieties of melon or winter squash in Quebec City and Sudbury. Could you grow them in Victoria?

Old 03-04-2022, 09:10 PM

6,851 posts, read 4,306,547 times
By mid-March, average highs here are in the mid 50s so even a 5 degree departure doesn't mean a winter comeback really. It'd need to be a much bigger departure. At this point in time I'd be surprised if we got another snow event this season.

Time's running out. Latest date D.C. got 1+ inch snow in the last 50 years was March 25th 2014. March 21st 2018 for last 3+ inches. I remember that very well. It was 80 degrees a week after that snow.

Old 03-05-2022, 08:45 AM

5,753 posts, read 3,544,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Looks like the average temperatures they have for Ottawa are pretty similar to the Wikipedia ones. The data they have for Kamloops is cooler by 1-2C though. Maybe they modeled the data using grid cells, which at the resolution they used, is not prone to cause problems in Eastern Canada, but can cause significant problems in BC where there's big differences between valleys and mountains (which might fall into the same grid cell)? It seems like each grid cell is about 5x8km.

Not even annuals? I know for many warm weather vegetables, the kinds of temperatures Victoria gets are rather non-ideal. Granted, Quebec City and Sudbury's climates aren't ideal either for those vegetables either. But like I think you could still grow some fast maturing/northern adapted varieties of melon or winter squash in Quebec City and Sudbury. Could you grow them in Victoria?
I suspect you're correct in that their data suffer from lack of grid resolution. Most of Greater Victoria has summer temperatures not too much different from Sudbury or Quebec City--have a look at the UVic site for example. Perhaps a degree or two cooler in peak summer but this is offset by a longer frost-free season.

Which is to say each of these places will struggle to grow plants that really require at lot of heat. However, nobody much cares about that around here because we have so many other options that Sudbury and Quebec City can only dream of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather