Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 06:02 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times

Advertisements

Yes but I think you need to stop talking about plants that are not natural to here and look at the general trend.
Whether you like it or not orange trees and banana plants cannot grow in the British isles on their own.

Stop telling other forum members that you can grow such and such a plant in the British isles because it is giving them the wrong image of the weather in the UK.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:08 PM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Yes but I think you need to stop talking about plants that are not natural to here and look at the general trend.
Whether you like it or not orange trees and banana plants cannot grow in the British isles on their own.

Stop telling other forum members that you can grow such and such a plant in the British isles because it is giving them the wrong image of the weather in the UK.
I beg your pardon? Why should I stop talking about plants that are not natural here?? You do realise that most of the plants people grow in their gardens are not native to the UK don't you??

And orange trees & banana plants CAN grow quite happily on their own in milder parts of the UK, try telling the ones growing in my garden!

I will tell people what I want thanks very much. The fact is I can grow these plants in my garden, so how is that giving people the wrong image of weather in the UK??

If anyone is giving the wrong impressions it is you as you claim that northern Ireland is practically within the arctic circle!

Old 11-01-2012, 06:26 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Most of the UK's native trees were probably destroyed thousands of years ago.. very little here is actually native to the land!

Old 11-01-2012, 06:28 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
There are hardly any trees in most of the peak dristricc, it's like a barren dead yellow wasteland.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
150 years ago if you came to Massachusetts there would have been much fewer trees. But they come back...

Old 11-01-2012, 08:20 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:

I agree with the image - people oftentimes assume southern England is the prototype of British weather. But many warm-loving (or just cold-hating) plants have been grown in the mildest parts of England.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
No not seen that forum, will have to check it out

Obviously we lack real summer heat in the UK to grow a lot of tender plants, but things that can grow in cooler summer temperatures, but need mild winters grow very well here, including many species of palm. I actually have about 16 different types of palm happily growing away in my back garden
What are the palms you are growing? Are they in the ground? Posters on UK gardening forums, and from your area, typically talk about the more tender palms surviving X amount of years, but declining to the point of death, after cold spells. The usual cold hardy species do well though

As a frequent visitor to UK forums, I would have to say I've yet to see a pic of a regular citrus, laden with fruit. Avocados pics are usually of the same tree from a few years ago.

I would be interested in any pics you have.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:28 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:

Huh? If they grow and give the wrong climate impression then so what. Going by your posts on here it would seem Ireland is as cold as the upper US midwest.

Really though, my brother goes back and forth to Ireland every two weeks for work (two weeks here, two weeks there) and he lived there for three years. Your winter is milder than our winter hands down. Your summer sucks, but you certainly aren't cold in the winter. Come over to Philly for this winter then fly back to Ireland in the middle of it. Tell me which is warmer.

One interesting thing my brother did find is that when living there those three years the winter was so gloomy and damp they craved warmth and sun more than when he lived here. My brother is not a warm lover like me, but he and his wife went to Spain in winter to get sun. He said living here in winter he never felt the desire to go to Florida. I think it is because of our high sun, and even if the temp is cold but there is little wind it is really comfortable during the day.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:27 AM

152 posts, read 226,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
If you went by Trewartha's climatic classifications, then the Scilly Isles would be 'subtropical', since there is no summer heat criteria.
There is heat criteria in Trewartha, there must be at least 8 months above 10C. That's heat criteria for the whole year, not just summer, and I think it's more correct to look at the whole year than just summer or just the warmest month. It's much better criteria than to require the warmest month to be very warm as Koppen does - the only thing that does is that it favors continental climates and disqualifies oceanic climates even if they are much warmer overall. I don't think it's wrong to have the Scilly Isles as a borderline temperate/subtropical oceanic climate - the fact is, they are really on the border of being warm for most of the year, they just as an oceanic climate have a more even distribution of the warmth. Warm temperatures for most of the year is what makes climates subtropical in the Trewartha scheme - that way of classification makes sense to me. The Scilly Isles are in fact a place where a lot of subtropical plants are successfully grown, it's one of the very best places for them in the UK. If any place in the UK is subtropical, it's the Scilly Isles and the Channel Islands (similar very mild climate).

Last edited by darth serious; 11-02-2012 at 02:39 AM..

Old 11-02-2012, 03:18 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I agree with the image - people oftentimes assume southern England is the prototype of British weather. But many warm-loving (or just cold-hating) plants have been grown in the mildest parts of England.
Imo the Se of england is not far off the requirements in the summer for the mediterrnean climate. Their summers are totally different to mines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather