Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:06 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,870 times

Advertisements

I know full well of the power of high humidity to amplify heat, but there is such a thing as having dry heat that's simply too damn hot! Take Nevada, for example. It's a desert, so it's dry as dry can be, but 120 + degrees is simply too freaking hot any way you slice it. It's literally like walking in a blast furnace.
Anyway, in my native central Texas, it routinely gets up into the mid-100s during the dead of summer, and it can also be humid as hell to boot. But I'll take that over Nevada's heat any day. I guess because I'm more used to it, although it's still very hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 11:18 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,962,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Yeah that is true. Even if it's 60 out and I'm playing basketball or tennis or whatever, I get easily hot. Of course, I think this happens to most people though.

Yes this is an important factor. Average lows during the summer are anywhere between 55 and 60 (although the temperature really doesn't drop below 60. Maybe 57 or 58 at most). 60-65 may be a better estimate. All I know is that if it's above 70 at night, you know its hot! Heck, 66+ is too warm for me at night.

I love the first nights of late summer when the lows drop into the 40s. So crisp and refreshing!

I think there has been a few rare instances where the temperature didn't drop below 75 or 80 here, but that is very unusual.

LOL I agree SAB! . I've done yardwork in early April in North GA when it was in the 50s and I was sweating after an hour too. Mind you, most of the yardwork I was doing was picking up dead branches and sticks from a storm we got.
[/quote]

I've played football when it was 27 degrees out with a biting NW wind at 20 mph....and I've felt hot after 60-80 mins of playing I know that's insane...but I handle cold weather really well. Of course the second you stop playing you feel chilled to the bone because you're sweating AND the wind chill is in the single digits.

Ahhhh you're making me jealous some years our warmest overnight lows occur in September/October haha we have a lot of seasonal lag down here in South FL during summer which makes it that much more frustrating. Usually when everyone else is cooling off in September it'll be the same temp here as it was in July which is what sucks most about our summers...

Old 04-04-2010, 06:49 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
^^ I have ALWAYS hated how quickly we cool off in September.
75 F highs one week, 55 F highs the next is "normal"
Or a day or two at 85 F in early September, and one day at 49 F at the end of the month.

Once in a blue moon, we get a September that is good though; cools down so slow that you don't notice it, even though the highs are about 5-10 F cooler by the end of the month. I found last Autumn like that, we were able to "ease into autumn" and the temp cooled so slowly when we finally did get 50's F and mid-high 40's F in the second half of November, it still "nice."

Too hot for yard work?
I prefer to avoid heat indexes of 100+ F,
but I'm not mad when that is unavoidable,
though it does slow down my pace a little.

Too hot for baseball? No such thing.
Too little ice-water is the only potential "problem"
Count me in for a baseball game at 98 F.
Hottest game I even played was 97 F and about 55% humidity at 6:30pm,
cooling to 95 F with maybe 60% humidity just after sunset.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 04-04-2010 at 06:59 AM..

Old 04-04-2010, 09:04 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Ahhhh you're making me jealous some years our warmest overnight lows occur in September/October haha we have a lot of seasonal lag down here in South FL during summer which makes it that much more frustrating. Usually when everyone else is cooling off in September it'll be the same temp here as it was in July which is what sucks most about our summers...
Yeah that must be a drag. When do you notice the "first" cooler nights/days? November? December?

Old 04-05-2010, 03:07 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,583 times
Anything over 110F, and im bitching, lol

Old 04-05-2010, 07:53 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
anything above 87 is to hot unless i'm in the ocean, anything below 68f is to feeekin cold!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
anything above 87 is to hot unless i'm in the ocean, anything below 68f is to feeekin cold!!!
LOL. Right now its 66 outside. It's rarely this warm this late at night in April. Too warm! I'm ready for winter.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:13 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
LOL. Right now its 66 outside. It's rarely this warm this late at night in April. Too warm! I'm ready for winter.
You sound like you should be living in northern or atlantic Canada.

I have not seen a single person grumpy about 70's F in the day and 60's after dark in early April, in Toronto.
And this is even after having a "non-winter" by Toronto standards.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:16 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
I just went outside to get Burger King in a t-shirt & basketball shorts, it was cooler than I expected but it wasn't to the point where I was shivering.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I just went outside to get Burger King in a t-shirt & basketball shorts, it was cooler than I expected but it wasn't to the point where I was shivering.
Doesn't it feel like a summer evening? I have my window open with my ceiling fan on. First time I've turned it on since October probably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather