Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 03:59 PM

668 posts, read 2,359,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Where is this information coming from, and how is the source defining "(having) no money" and "(having) money"?
Man don't even try n deal with this kid, he's convinced PBC is like some sorta middle eastern warzone.

Last edited by Banx; 11-27-2008 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 07:12 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,152,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
Man don't even try n deal with this kid, he's convinced PBC is like some sorta middle eastern warzone.
I'm not sure at this point, after seeing the MySpace link a couple times, that it's not part of a act by way of a marketing campaign . . . although given the dispositions of the majority of City-Data users that I've run into, it doesn't seem like a very well-targeted marketing campaign, lol.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:15 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,252,598 times
Quote:
I'm not sure at this point, after seeing the MySpace link a couple times, that it's not part of a act by way of a marketing campaign . . . although given the dispositions of the majority of City-Data users that I've run into, it doesn't seem like a very well-targeted marketing campaign, lol.
It all depends on where you come from and live my friend, but it is no secret that the majority of people that are overly positive and don't like any negativity on this forum generally live in more upscale or wealthy areas.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
It all depends on where you come from and live my friend, but it is no secret that the majority of people that are overly positive and don't like any negativity on this forum generally live in more upscale or wealthy areas.
I do not get your comment in the context of what you're quoting from me.

Are you somehow saying that you believe that City-Data is a good place to do some targeted marketing of hip-hop by way of a "gangsta street cred" act?

Old 11-28-2008, 11:34 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Most people on City-Data who are looking to move to Palm Beach County are generally looking to live in decent areas, and not settle on North Sapodilla or Martin Luther King Blvd. in Riviera Beach!

Old 11-28-2008, 03:04 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,252,598 times
Quote:
I do not get your comment in the context of what you're quoting from me.

Are you somehow saying that you believe that City-Data is a good place to do some targeted marketing of hip-hop by way of a "gangsta street cred" act?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Most people on City-Data who are looking to move to Palm Beach County are generally looking to live in decent areas, and not settle on North Sapodilla or Martin Luther King Blvd. in Riviera Beach!
That's why you have to give them an overview of the area as a whole and listen to everyone's comments. I balance the positive and negative - many posters on here and either overly positive or overly negative and their opinions clash. If you're going to be too much of one you can't be mad at someone else for being too much of the other.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:23 PM

668 posts, read 2,359,451 times
Quote:
Yeah that seems fair enough, but I live in West Palm just north of City Place and despite what everyone says, it still does not seem that bad, just a little run down. And a good neighborhood is never more than a couple blocks away.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
Yeah that seems fair enough, but I live in West Palm just north of City Place and despite what everyone says, it still does not seem that bad, just a little run down. And a good neighborhood is never more than a couple blocks away.
Right, and before CityPlace was around, I lived near 9th and North Railroad for two years, I went to high school near Fern and Sapodilla for four years (and it's not as if we stayed on campus all the time--we walked to various places for lunch nearby almost every day, and interacted with people in the surrounding neighborhood for, um, let's just say "other" reasons), I went to junior high at Roosevelt, near Division and Tamarind north of Palm Beach Lakes for two years, I went to elementary school at Palmview, near Douglas and 10th, for seven years (including kindergarten), some of my best friends lived near 7th and Douglas, 11th and North Rosemary, Adams and North Tamarind, etc., and I dated women who lived near 19th and Division and East 20th near Broadway (which isn't near the 19th just above Palm Beach Lakes but in Riviera Beach).

I have no problems calling any of those locations ghetto (at least when I was spending a lot of time there; my high school, for example, is now an arts school and no longer in the ghetto, rather it's right across the street from what's now CityPlace)--they are, or were, very similar in their "social geography" and urban morphology to places like Irvington, New Jersey, and I doubt that would escape any definition of "ghetto" that doesn't limit US ghettos to just a handful of locations.

But my opinion is that even in the ghetto (and not just in West Palm Beach, but all of them), the average Joe going about his business--even walking around, perhaps near folks who aren't just average Joes going about their business--is extremely unlikley to be a crime victim. Some people seem to believe that there are essentially boogie men waiting around just about every corner, waiting to jump out and get you, but that's just not true.

(And by the way, I've also hiked with people who believe things like this; it's analogous to people being paranoid that if you go hiking, you're likely to be bitten by a snake, attacked by a bear (or alligator in Florida), etc.--while those things can and do occasionally happen, they're not very likely, there aren't snakes waiting around every corner, etc., and also analogous, it only takes a small bit of knowledge about things to avoid (like stomping your foot down right on the other side of a log in your path as you cross it without looking first) to make it even less likely that any of those things will happen to you.)

I regularly have this same argument with people about ghettos in and near New York City (so including north Jersey, too), and the areas I live and have lived in here are also frequently considered ghettos (including by lots of folks right here on City-Data), even though it makes as much sense to still consider where I live now a ghetto as it would to still consider CityPlace the ghetto, as where I live now has undergone a similar, though less focused, transformation . . . although I'd say, as would many other people in this area, that I've got a slum landlord whose ownership extends back to when this part of Jersey City really still was ghetto.

I invite the people who do not believe that the average Joe is safe walking around here (and various areas very near here that are still ghetto) to accompany me on walks through the area (and we can turn around, etc., any time they like), so we can explore this more, but so far no one from City-Data has wanted to take me up on it. I'm sure I'll do the same thing when I'm back in South Florida. Meanwhile, I continue to walk around those areas daily* myself--wearing nice big headphones and carrying my iPod in my hands. My wife comes with me when she has the time, but she has a more normal, full-time job, so most days I walk alone and she gets her walking exercise by taking a longer walking route through Manhattan to and from work.

*footnote: Well, on days when I don't have enough free time to drive and go hiking, which I usually only have time to do one or two days per week.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:30 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,629,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Can not think of any in...

Cooper City
Weston
Pembroke Pines (the east side is a working class area but it's not quite "ghetto" or high crime)
Coconut Creek (same, except for Creek it's the south side)
Parkland

Coral Springs, Plantation, Tamarac, Margate, and Sunrise don't really have anything too severe, but they do have small areas with "real" poverty and/or have sections that border on bad areas. That being said, I can't think of a "ghetto" area in Broward County that is west of University Drive, except for maybe this small section of Sunrise near Nob Hill Rd and Sunset Strip, and there also also sections of Miramar that are fine on their own, but close enough to Miami Gardens for it to cause some problems.

Up in Palm Beach, I can't really think of anything. In Dade, there is Aventura, Doral, Miami Lakes, Pinecrest, most of what is defined as "Kendall", and Palmetto Bay.

PS- Sugar Pond Manor is typical suburbia except for maybe two blocks! 12th Fairway is worn. Jupiter has a few rough areas, however. They just keep them exceptionally well hidden.
Cooper City?? Are you insane?? Cooper City is one of the safest most laid-back towns in FL!! I go there all the time when I visit my aunt and I have a really good time. It has alot of nice neighborhoods and good movie theaters. I have never seen a "ghetto" in Cooper City. My aunt moved there from the 'ghetto' from Hollywood. Hollywood was ugly and had a small-town feel all the time. I was used to it but I didn't really like it. When I saw Cooper City and went different places it was awesome.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Cooper City?? Are you insane?? Cooper City is one of the safest most laid-back towns in FL!! I go there all the time when I visit my aunt and I have a really good time. It has alot of nice neighborhoods and good movie theaters. I have never seen a "ghetto" in Cooper City.
Isn't that what his "Can not think of any in . . . Cooper City" meant? In other words, he can not think of any ghettos in Cooper City.

Sometimes we should slow down, take a deep breath, and reread what someone posted before responding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach