Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:24 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,880,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
You can, but the volume and diversity here is crazy! You can walk one field and find pheasant, chukkars, grouse, huns and prairie chickens.. All on open BLM range. It's really nice. An upland dream.

Most good spots in WV were locked up tighter than a drum or on game reserves. I only saw one wild pheansant in all the years of hunting in WV..
I'm not a hunter but isn't a bird a bird?

Wouldn't density just make it easier?

Old 05-31-2013, 12:45 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Your argument is purely anecdotal, which is irrelevant.

However, the runs are bad. Terrible. State's fault.
Wow, I don't go around calling others opinions or arguments based on anecdotal evidence 'irrelevant', and there is A LOT of that in this thread. Most of the contra-opnions with regards to MSA data are themselves using an anecdotal hypothesis. "The politico's tweak their arms to bend it their way", or "Yeah but if you look at the students this way then the numbers are scewed".
My direct observations are just that- direct observations. Not anecdotal. They are not purely analytical, but they are observations, and those observations seem to support the MSA designations.

Anyway I'm not for or against nor an advocate for any particular area. I do look at the trends, and I cetainly have occasional conversations with regards to matters like these with my professional peers back in WV. They're interesting to look at and certainly the trends are most important.

Let's hope that economic prosperity pours on all 4 corners of the state, not just within one region or the other. Maybe then they will finally fix and modernize the roads!!

Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Wow, I don't go around calling others opinions or arguments based on anecdotal evidence 'irrelevant', and there is A LOT of that in this thread. Most of tcontra-opnions with regards to MSA data are themselves using an anecdotal hypothesis. "The politico's tweak their arms to bend it their way", or "Yeah but if you look at the students this way then the numbers are scewed".
My direct observations are just that- direct observations. Not anecdotal. They are not purely analytical, but they are observations, and those observations seem to support the MSA designations.

Anyway I'm not for or against nor an advocate for any particular area. I do look at the trends, and I cetainly have occasional conversations with regards to matters like these with my professional peers back in WV. They're interesting to look at and certainly the trends are most important.

Let's hope that economic prosperity pours on all 4 corners of the state, not just within one region or the other. Maybe then they will finally fix and modernize the roads!!
It was anecdotal. Using a small sample based off personal experience is not helpful regardless of what you are arguing. The exanple of the census is not anecdotal. Nobody is saying , " I know someone who works for the census and they say."

The fact is most of the growth both economic and population is in 2 areas of the state. They are not getting any additional funding but areas that are losing both are. It makes no sense. If you want the whole state to prosper you need to support healthy strong areas instead of dying areas.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I'm not a hunter but isn't a bird a bird?

Wouldn't density just make it easier?
Density makes it more fun! Actually you have to cover a lot of ground in a day, but the cool thing is that while covering you can flush a variety of game birds. And what is especially awesome is the amount of open lands. Sure some prime stuff is locked out for the wealthy to play, but there is an abundance of land open for public access (and a lot of it is not well travelled ).

Just makes for fun hunting. It was getting increasingly more diffucult to find hunting areas in WV.. Upland bird habitat was just tougher and tougher to find for hunting. I had all but given up on it.

Plus I love watching the dogs work in the open range. It's a great time.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Density makes it more fun! Actually you have to cover a lot of ground in a day, but the cool thing is that while covering you can flush a variety of game birds. And what is especially awesome is the amount of open lands. Sure some prime stuff is locked out for the wealthy to play, but there is an abundance of land open for public access (and a lot of it is not well travelled ).

Just makes for fun hunting. It was getting increasingly more diffucult to find hunting areas in WV.. Upland bird habitat was just tougher and tougher to find for hunting. I had all but given up on it.

Plus I love watching the dogs work in the open range. It's a great time.
Ill take your word for it.

I just shoot trap.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
It was anecdotal. Using a small sample based off personal experience is not helpful regardless of what you are arguing. The exanple of the census is not anecdotal. Nobody is saying , " I know someone who works for the census and they say."

The fact is most of the growth both economic and population is in 2 areas of the state. They are not getting any additional funding but areas that are losing both are. It makes no sense. If you want the whole state to prosper you need to support healthy strong areas instead of dying areas.
First- claims that the census (rather the MSA designations) are manipulated by politico's are certainly anecdotal, much more so than a direct observation and first hand account. I don't see how anyone can reason otherwise. If so- we agree to disagree in a major way.

Second- I don't disagree or otherwise argue about 'funding' areas that need it due to growth. I strongly agree! But MSA delineations or Census employment migration numbers have about boo to do with that. They simply count heads, where do those heads work and where do they shop. If a county has a close connection with a Metropolitan or Micropolitan area they are included the designation. States have input, but it really isn't factored. OMB's notice on the process is found here:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...s-Complete.pdf

WVU BE has great resources available showing trends, same with headwaters.org

Now should WV be looking to support infrastructure in the EP and Mo'Town- absolutely. See Winchester VA for an example of growth planning. Very obvious and fairly well managed, in my opinion.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:48 PM

941 posts, read 1,357,113 times
Giving more funding to an area prosporing makes a lot of sense if the funds are present. WV doesn't have the extra money to put towards other areas. So they do what they can, which is allocate the money where they can. Huntington and Charleston have more taxpayers, so it makes sense for them to get the funding for certain projects first. People would not be happy if their money went to Morgatown and they don't even live there.

Also, one does NOT want to take funding away from areas that are "struggling," but put more money into those areas. It balances out. Take funding away from the south and it dies. A successful Morgantown can NOT save the entire state of WV. That spells disaster for everyone.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
First- claims that the census (rather the MSA designations) are manipulated by politico's are certainly anecdotal, much more so than a direct observation and first hand account. I don't see how anyone can reason otherwise. If so- we agree to disagree in a major way.

Second- I don't disagree or otherwise argue about 'funding' areas that need it due to growth. I strongly agree! But MSA delineations or Census employment migration numbers have about boo to do with that. They simply count heads, where do those heads work and where do they shop. If a county has a close connection with a Metropolitan or Micropolitan area they are included the designation. States have input, but it really isn't factored. OMB's notice on the process is found here:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...s-Complete.pdf

WVU BE has great resources available showing trends, same with headwaters.org

Now should WV be looking to support infrastructure in the EP and Mo'Town- absolutely. See Winchester VA for an example of growth planning. Very obvious and fairly well managed, in my opinion.
That is not anecdotal. Anecdotal is when you make a claim based off a very small sample. A poster, who will not be named, proved the census was made up nonsense.

I never said census has anything to do with funding, it can or it might not. They are separate arguments.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Giving more funding to an area prosporing makes a lot of sense if the funds are present. WV doesn't have the extra money to put towards other areas. So they do what they can, which is allocate the money where they can. Huntington and Charleston have more taxpayers, so it makes sense for them to get the funding for certain projects first. People would not be happy if their money went to Morgatown and they don't even live there.

Also, one does NOT want to take funding away from areas that are "struggling," but put more money into those areas. It balances out. Take funding away from the south and it dies. A successful Morgantown can NOT save the entire state of WV. That spells disaster for everyone.
No, giving funds to area that is growing whose growth benefits the whole state makes sense. Giving funds to areas that are dying who drag the state down the them doesnt. Giving money to Morgantown is an investment that will yield high returns for all the state including Charleston and Huntington. Funding dying areas wont, it will just mean they get less in the future. They are thinking very short term when they should be thinking long term.

However, you have nothing to worry since Morgantown doesnt get any real funding. People have no reason to be unhappy with this.

Also your logic doesnt make any sense. You said there isnt enough funds to go around and people dont want to fund areas they dont live in, but they somehow want to fund very sparsely populated areas they dont live in that dont contribute economically? Maybe YOU feel that way. You cant speak for everyone else. The area already died. Investing in the strong areas can revive it, wasting money on it wont.

A successful Morgantown is a much better investment than an unsuccessful area. Not investing in Morgantown is picking a sure loser over a sure winner. In fact this logic you are using has been tried for around a century with NO success. The only success in the past decades was Morgantown and EP near DC, and that was success on their own. Now this success can be used to save the state instead of a failed strategy that already destroyed most of the state, and that is destroying the areas it hasnt destroyed with a very few exceptions.

I am sorry, but you are wrong on ALL counts. Except for people not wanting Morgantown to get funding. That is true. They are more than happy to waste billions on pork projects that hurt the state and help out of state coal companies but they will flip out if Morgantown gets a penny. That is true.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 PM

4,962 posts, read 8,959,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The only thing keeping Clarksburg out of our "MSA" is the resistence of local politicos in Clarksburg who use their long term ties to the state's Democratic machine to exert influence to cause the Census Bureau to tweak their analysis in that direction, putting more emphasis on factors that bring about that result.
If any such state "influence" over the Census Bureau existed, wouldn't Charleston have had the most power to exert and thus not have lost two counties from its MSA? Logic would tell you such influence does not exist based on that occurrence alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia