Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:53 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times

Advertisements

Inbreds would be "THE HILLS HAVE EYES"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 03:35 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
A great West Virginian died this week...Myron Cope...OY! OY! Wonder if Huntington remembers her son? Thanks for reminding me of the burg' ..nothing like the bonding experience of male Steeler fans taking a whiz at 12 abreast at the urinals...all cheering for the same black and gold in the loo...of all places...that's what tribal really means.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:29 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
According to this he's not from Huntington or WV at all but rather was born and raised in Pittsburgh.

Myron Cope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-01-2008, 05:32 AM

240 posts, read 732,273 times
Well, I LOVED "Wrong Turn." :) And I've seen them people. J/K. The promotion said "You'll never go in the woods again." And I didn't for about three weeks after watching that . LOL.

Now how's this for sterotyping.

I was watching a Law and Order rerun I hadn't seen yet the other night.

The plot was about a doctor who was writing scripts for oxycontin for the Russian mob to sell on the streets of NYC. They were using people's names they had gotten from identity theft.

She started worrying about losing her license and tried to stop so they killed her.

At the beginning of the show, Det. Lennie Briskoe says "Oxycodone. They call it hillbilly heroin. Some genius in West Virginia decided it was easier to get than moonshine."

It's all around us folks. We can laugh about it and enjoy it. Or not.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:45 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
Thanks for your comment Bailey...Myron was born and raised in Pittsburg and always considered his home as Huntington. He was very proud of his association with Wv and the people in the sports venue here. He helped bring Pittsburgh football and baseball to us and include us in that great community. He would always say a special hello to us and our friends at his 'Nacho tent' outside the stadium, and bring the players to sign autographs for the kids...Myron never served beer in the 'Nacho tent'...I liked that family consideration
Myron was one of the most likeable people I ever knew...he was so inoffensive, could just grab you by the arm and say..."Hey...come in with me, you'll love it." He will be very sadly missed...very sadly...

...Just as Grandpa Jones considered Fairmont his home....

As a strange sidebar to this commentary, Mary Lou Retton after living down in Texas and never seeming interested in Wv at all for the past twenty years, has returned home and will be in the next city parade...( so said by some, but I'm not taking any bets) I'm sure she charges for appearances..

and a Great Sadie Hawkins day to all of you yesterday...I'll admit it...I got caught and will have to marry the lady I live with...where's Marrying Sam?

Old 03-01-2008, 06:18 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
Another great tradition that has been lost in this electronic post-techno world. Every high school, college, and American Legion Post used to have a Sadie Hawkins Day Dance.

I asked my students yesterday who Sadie Hawkins was, and only the older ones (we call them "non-traditionals") had any idea.

I think Marryin' Sam is presiding over the renewing of vows for Myron and his beloved Mildred. But I'll keep a look-out for Daisy Mae.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:12 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
Out of curiosity, what is Myon Cope's connection to Huntington? I've searched and searched and can't find any connection between the two. This being Reds and Bengals territory makes it even harder to find a connection. Any info is good to know.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:54 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millersangel View Post
Well, I LOVED "Wrong Turn." And I've seen them people. J/K. The promotion said "You'll never go in the woods again." And I didn't for about three weeks after watching that . LOL.

Now how's this for sterotyping.

I was watching a Law and Order rerun I hadn't seen yet the other night.

The plot was about a doctor who was writing scripts for oxycontin for the Russian mob to sell on the streets of NYC. They were using people's names they had gotten from identity theft.

She started worrying about losing her license and tried to stop so they killed her.

At the beginning of the show, Det. Lennie Briskoe says "Oxycodone. They call it hillbilly heroin. Some genius in West Virginia decided it was easier to get than moonshine."

It's all around us folks. We can laugh about it and enjoy it. Or not.
Agreed. No matter where you go, troubles can be numbered. There's always work needs doing in civilization, and often the remedies create yet another problem to solve. The nature of being a mortal being.

What defines you as individuals is your willingness to participate/contribute to the problems, tacit acceptance of things as-is, or willingness to work on solutions. Ironically the only thing that makes the press is the first, apathy is common, and the positive sadly gets marginalized.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:18 PM

191 posts, read 809,750 times
Myron Cope was a Jewish-American that was probably from Squirell Hill, the Jewish neighborhood of Pittsburgh.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:56 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
I also didn't know Myron Cope had any affiliation with West Virginia, I thought he was a 100% stiller lovin picksburgher...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia