Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:25 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,408,842 times

Advertisements

This is so messed up. We just bought in rural Tennessee, not WV, and haven't even moved there yet...but this insults the living daylights out of me already. Why couldn't it just be set in "some mountain" somewhere, why do they have to stereotype rural people?

A movie about to be filmed in Pittsburgh is casting Gothic characters -- including an albino-like girl and deformed people -- to depict West Virginia mountain people.

"'Regular-looking" children need not apply.

mod cut: quoted material removed

Film's casting call wants that 'inbred' look - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-27-2008 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: copyright issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 12:43 PM

19 posts, read 53,952 times
doesn't suprise me any

Old 02-26-2008, 02:04 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,775 times
I see Governor Joe is already stepping in. Is this going to turn out like the Abercrombie T'shirts?

http://http://www.dailymail.com/News/statenews/200802260361 (broken link)

Old 02-26-2008, 02:17 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,140 times
Here's a link to the casting agency's web site (http://www.donnabelajaccasting.com/servlet/StoreFront - broken link).

And if you want to e-mail Donna directly: donnabelajaccasting@yahoo.com

How come there's no Scots-Irish Anti-Defamation League?

Old 02-26-2008, 02:35 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,311,913 times
Will it star Britney Spears? ....or Paris Hilton...now she would be a natural for this flick.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:12 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,779,453 times
Stereotypes suck, and I certainly don't agree with this stereotype, but I'd like to point something out here.
Being upset about the ignorance of other people is optional. Stereotypes have no validity when it's not being lived out, and arguing with their insensitivity may only fuel their perceptions. WV, you're better than that!
I'd like to point out a 1994 film called "Nell" that jodie foster did about a backwards mountain woman in NC. North Carolina wasn't injured or offended. Please ask yourselves- what is the difference here?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:10 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,140 times
I didn't see "Nell", so I can't use that for a comparison.

I think the offense is being taken not so much from the yet-to-be-filmed depictions, but to the quotes from the casting agent:

Quote:
"It's the way it was described in the script," Belajac said Monday. "Some of these 'holler' people -- because they are insular and clannish, and they don't leave their area -- there is literally inbreeding, and the people there often have a different kind of look. That's what we're trying to get."
She states, as fact, that "there is literally inbreeding". The casting call on the web page says "regular-looking" children should not apply to depict the people who populate a West Virginia 'Holler'.

And besides, the RichRod lawsuit is moving slowly, the Donate-A-Few-Million, Get-An-MBA-Degree investigation is very quiet, we need something to get our blood warm till the Spring thaw comes.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:01 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,007 times
It kills me that they literally put that out on their site .

Didn't Loretta Lynn come from a Holler? Not WV but just the same.

I know there are quite a few jokes about inbred in WV but really where does that come from . (what about the section of Mormons?).

My parents grew up on a Run, not a holler .

Oh...excuse me, I have to go out back and find a tree to relieve myself.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:23 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,408,842 times
Yeah, it's like, "Hey we know you all got really interesting freaks and deformed kids. Well, we want 'em for our movie! The weirder the better!"

And my question is, what parent of such a child would accept such an offer?

It's just wrong on a bunch of levels.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:40 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,311,913 times
'Nell' was an exceptional film...but to get to the heart of this...the dysfunctionaly social inbreds who carry a mind set with no alterations...I'm speaking about an industry pushing an agenda and leaving the entertainment area of film making to others. The Academy Awards finally hitting ground zero...If we want good films, we will look for the vendors who sell us a comfortable ware...Those films are coming and many are here already...not hyped by the media or sensational information churners...but crafted by professionals who take 'the art seriously' Some are great documentaries that educate us..others are guided my certain 'stars' who have a proven track record of making the money because of the type of film they will do.
West Virginia and all of her neighbors will forget about this event as soon as the film is in the can...and it really is beneficial...It keeps the geeks away...a fact...it keeps the geeks in California and other places...we really don't want them here...and they are in a way helping us to enjoy this little paradise before its all paved into a parking lot.

I'll bet it stars Paris Hilton in the lead...mountain momma sitting on a porch swing rubbin' a little copenhag...where's my banjo...duh,duh,duh...duh...duh...she will be her own grandma...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia