Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2017, 06:11 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,054,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
You can be thankful your state isn't dominated by folks with a political ideology and culture diametrically opposed to your own. I have no love for the way downstate folks treat Western Maryland, but if there is one thing downstate Maryland knows well, it is how sprawling ill planned growth can choke a community right as it starts to hit the critical mass necessary to bring up an entire region into relative prosperity.

WV doesn't have the money MD does to spend their way out of existing problems. If your county doesn't put thought into how you will grow, you will end up with huge headaches. You can complain all you want about how your state government treats you......we sure do . But, if you know the way things are, don't' believe they will change anytime soon, and are aware that underneath it all your state doesn't have the money to please everyone, you have to do what you can. That means thinking about enacting zoning laws. That's just my opinion. But, Morgantown's traffic issues are horrible for a city of its size, and will only get worse. Your growth model isn't working that well, the infrastructure is lagging well behind the growth curve with no support from your state to improve it. Complaining about it won't fix it, and pointing fingers doesn't create solutions. Yes, work the state hard for more money, but take the time now to figure out how you want your community to grow or you will regret it 15-20 years down the road.

PS I do agree Cumberland and Garrett County are much more like Morgantown, and WV in general, than anywhere in our "own state." The biggest difference between Western MD and NCWV is infrastructure. FWIW, most of my state sees us as you view Southern WV. They resent money going to us and not them because they are growing and successful, while we are not. They see money spent on us as money going down the drain because they view our economic and social problems as self-inflicted. I am still taken aback that this same general mentality exists in WV. You guys have so much in common in terms on need, the differences are really on the margin compared to your neighbors.
It isn't as though folks aren't trying to do things to mitigate the problem here. There is a serious effort in place to have more population concentrated in the downtown and Wharf areas, reducing pressure on the infrastructure, but the Old Guard combined with a wealthy out of limits developer fight it tooth and nail in order to reduce competition. One problem we have here you don't face in Western MD is the clan mentality that exists South of Sutton here. Our state is broke for a number or reasons, but they still find money for incredibly useless projects while they totally ignore demonstrated need. The examples are virtually countless. If they devoted even a small portion of that to our infrastructure needs it would go a long way toward solving our problems, and in the long run it would benefit them too since our county is a major cash cow for the state. They are much more into immediate gratification, even if it is like getting drunk and dealing with the hangover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 06:25 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,230,878 times
Good article about some new agriculture adventures being pursued in the state.

"When you get three year plants and full quality oils, 100 acres can bring in roughly a Million dollars,” said Marina Sawyer, Project Coordinator for the Green Mining project.

WV MetroNews – From black gold to purple gold

Old 05-15-2017, 04:43 PM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
It isn't as though folks aren't trying to do things to mitigate the problem here. There is a serious effort in place to have more population concentrated in the downtown and Wharf areas, reducing pressure on the infrastructure, but the Old Guard combined with a wealthy out of limits developer fight it tooth and nail in order to reduce competition. One problem we have here you don't face in Western MD is the clan mentality that exists South of Sutton here. Our state is broke for a number or reasons, but they still find money for incredibly useless projects while they totally ignore demonstrated need. The examples are virtually countless. If they devoted even a small portion of that to our infrastructure needs it would go a long way toward solving our problems, and in the long run it would benefit them too since our county is a major cash cow for the state. They are much more into immediate gratification, even if it is like getting drunk and dealing with the hangover.
Yeah, in-fill or upgrading existing building stock in your urban core would be most preferable. While it is very difficult to get downtown without congestion, at least you would have one area with most of the growth, and thus it is easier to make a pitch to the state for one targeted project area as opposed to expecting the state to build out infrastructure to sprawling developments.

The later model is a net loss to the tax base. Whatever you recoup from the taxpayers in those smallish sub-divisions doesn't match the money spend on building roads and their upkeep when they are off the beaten path. Now, when you consider the multiplier effect and the reality that these new developments help recruit industry and supply customers for commercial business, I do suspect the overall benefit is a financial gain, but it is a much harder pitch to government. As mentioned, many states are moving away from supporting sprawl entirely, and like it or not, many see government's role as helping those with the greatest need, even if the chance for success is low.

I think you would benefit from keeping that fact in mind. I have no horse in the race between WV north of Sutton vs. WV south of Sutton, so it isn't a slam dunk in my mind that a growing community "needs" money to shorten their commute times more than a community suffering from wretched poverty and lack of opportunity "needs" it to try and create some momentum towards positive change. There is a balancing between the two needs in my mind, not a clear choice.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:28 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,054,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Yeah, in-fill or upgrading existing building stock in your urban core would be most preferable. While it is very difficult to get downtown without congestion, at least you would have one area with most of the growth, and thus it is easier to make a pitch to the state for one targeted project area as opposed to expecting the state to build out infrastructure to sprawling developments.

The later model is a net loss to the tax base. Whatever you recoup from the taxpayers in those smallish sub-divisions doesn't match the money spend on building roads and their upkeep when they are off the beaten path. Now, when you consider the multiplier effect and the reality that these new developments help recruit industry and supply customers for commercial business, I do suspect the overall benefit is a financial gain, but it is a much harder pitch to government. As mentioned, many states are moving away from supporting sprawl entirely, and like it or not, many see government's role as helping those with the greatest need, even if the chance for success is low.

I think you would benefit from keeping that fact in mind. I have no horse in the race between WV north of Sutton vs. WV south of Sutton, so it isn't a slam dunk in my mind that a growing community "needs" money to shorten their commute times more than a community suffering from wretched poverty and lack of opportunity "needs" it to try and create some momentum towards positive change. There is a balancing between the two needs in my mind, not a clear choice.
It isn't a matter of a balancing act. If there were some balance, there would be a lot less contention. It is outright neglect vs. incredible waste.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:06 AM

112 posts, read 201,097 times
Lots of great ideas and comments. Regarding tourism, someone should look into whether or not creating a large lake / recreation / resort in the Eastern Panhandle is viable (e.g. building a dam and creating a outdoor recreation area). If so, it has the potential to draw a lot of tourism from neighboring states of VA, MD, and PA. Nothing like that exists within a hundred miles or more. The closest large lakes are Lake Anna (VA), Raystown Lake (PA), Deep Creek (MD), and Cheat Lake (WV). A large lake closer to the Baltimore and DC metro areas would have wide appeal.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:40 AM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times
I took a little drive Tuesday. Went through Richwood, Marlington, Cass, Snowshoe, Elkins, Seneca Rocks, etc... Everytime I drive around the state, especially the tourism areas, I can't help but envision the possibilities. Part of what makes WV so great is the fact that we have outstanding scenery and places to visit, but it is a hidden gem not overrun by people or commercialization. With that being said, we still need to draw people in, revitalize some of our rural areas, and offer more than just the bare essentials for our guests. Take Seneca Rocks as an example. You'd think that a community that is literally at a crossroads of sightseers would feature a somewhat decent gas station. Well, they have a gas station but the pumps are older than I am. The station is in a very old building (which I like), but you wouldn't know you could get gas there unless you asked. The pumps are smashed up against the side of the building. Now, I am not proposing that Sheetz or Go Mart opens up a monstrous facility. But surely someone would have thought that a modern gas station would have paid off. I believe there is a functioning station a few miles south towards Spruce Knob, but it isn't anything special. I realize that people WV for our rustic feel, but somethings are too extreme. Haha

Old 05-18-2017, 11:54 AM

778 posts, read 797,166 times
There are so many good ideas just in this thread but the one idea that is missing is the one that makes people living in other places to want to move to West Virginia. It is only a demographic slice of the population that moves by choice and not by demand and many never move at all.

I do not think West Virginia can ever compete with the demand movers; those that their company says we are moving you and your family to West Virginia. We are never going to get those that never move. It may be obvious but in each state that number varies. West Virginia does not have a lot of that group because most West Virginians are demand mover - if they want a job, want a better school, want a better house, a better life, or just a better future - life demands that they move to achieve it.

So, we are left with those that choose to move and you need to know why they move and what they are looking for. There are countless sites you can dig through that data and regardless of which one or ones you sift through the data all says the same thing, West Virginia does not have what the choosers are choosing.

My take is that it is not a lack of jobs, or good schools or new housing or even a sprawling metropolis but rather it is the West Virginian we need to change. We need to change how we think, how we think of others and how we see the world and perhaps most importantly, how the world see us. West Virginians do not get good press and frankly we deserve all of the barbs tossed at us.

We are poorly educated, lack the basic understanding of civics, seem to exhibit little community spirit and when push comes to shove, we hate our fellow West Virginians because they live in another holler and you just know you can't trust those 'outsiders' over there!

I have said for years now the one thing that would make West Virginia an overnight heaven for the eastern half of the nation to enjoy would be to eliminate all of the West Virginians. People who do not think education is a dirty word, that Walmart is not Tiffany's and living on welfare is a lifestyle choice would be moving here and doing something with this beautiful and resource rich state because let's face it, West Virginians have done nothing with since we got our hands on it in 1863.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:36 PM

778 posts, read 797,166 times
I just saw this in today's news from the Charleston Gazette. While I have been hitting hard on the my reason that the West Virginia economy is in a shambles, if this were to happen - say in Charleston where much of the infrastructure is already in place, this one event would yank the entire state out of the abyss:

Charleston Gazette-Mail | WV Sens. Capito, Manchin urge Appalachian natural gas hub

Old 05-18-2017, 07:31 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
I just saw this in today's news from the Charleston Gazette. While I have been hitting hard on the my reason that the West Virginia economy is in a shambles, if this were to happen - say in Charleston where much of the infrastructure is already in place, this one event would yank the entire state out of the abyss:

Charleston Gazette-Mail | WV Sens. Capito, Manchin urge Appalachian natural gas hub
That would be something!

Old 05-19-2017, 05:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I took a little drive Tuesday. Went through Richwood, Marlington, Cass, Snowshoe, Elkins, Seneca Rocks, etc... Everytime I drive around the state, especially the tourism areas, I can't help but envision the possibilities. Part of what makes WV so great is the fact that we have outstanding scenery and places to visit, but it is a hidden gem not overrun by people or commercialization. With that being said, we still need to draw people in, revitalize some of our rural areas, and offer more than just the bare essentials for our guests. Take Seneca Rocks as an example. You'd think that a community that is literally at a crossroads of sightseers would feature a somewhat decent gas station. Well, they have a gas station but the pumps are older than I am. The station is in a very old building (which I like), but you wouldn't know you could get gas there unless you asked. The pumps are smashed up against the side of the building. Now, I am not proposing that Sheetz or Go Mart opens up a monstrous facility. But surely someone would have thought that a modern gas station would have paid off. I believe there is a functioning station a few miles south towards Spruce Knob, but it isn't anything special. I realize that people WV for our rustic feel, but somethings are too extreme. Haha
While you may be right, I'd hate to see a new modern gas station there. I suppose back towards Elkins a short distance would work but that would likely put the one at Seneca Rocks out of business and then an empty building isn't exactly a tourist draw either.

The Seneca Shadows campground has one of the most amazing views in the country but you have to get one of the tent sites to view it. I'm not sure many are willing to go to the trouble. Last time I was there we had the entire lower half to ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia