Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 04:08 PM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,188,084 times

Advertisements

My father in law told this one, just prior to the Korean war he was working as a clerk in the army, typing the new recruits information for their file, when he asks this one recruit what his address was the recruit responded with “up on the hill behind grandma’s house.” My FIL says they never did get a real address from this guy, just a town in WV! I have always thought this was pretty funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 05:48 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Re Pharm's post "So the guy does what any rich WVian does.....he hit the shine. Being a businessman, he knew OTHER businessmen. Including the guy that owned the Cat Machinery dealer down the street. So the fellow, loaded, gets in an end loader and drives it about 15 miles or so down a few country roads and makes it back to the residence."

How about the guy who was getting divorced and his wife was getting the house. So he got a piece of heavy equipment and tore down his "half" of the house.
(We knew that guy and his brothers -- he worked for a heavy construction company).

Old 06-09-2008, 11:22 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
LOL vec. I saw a garage sale sign on a pole this weekend in kanawha city--
" divorce sale" 1313 mockingbird lane with a big smiley face painted on it.

Wondering if his golf clubs were on the cheap. hehehehee

Old 06-11-2008, 10:02 AM

175 posts, read 565,067 times
I learned, first hand, about 20 years ago why divorces are so expensive....They're worth it!!! Had to sell a bunch of my stuff too but as DK is fond of saying, "West Virginians are survivors!!".

Old 06-11-2008, 07:18 PM

What's worth more than a divorce would be a college class required to make decisions about getting married in the first place. Catholics with pre- cana classes seemed to be doing ok there for a while (until they got preachy & judgemental)
CNA - Resources

Personally, I love the book that came out (wish I could remember the title) that was an amalgamation of 25yr+ married couple veterans giving advice. Having a sense of humor was unanimously #1. LOL

Old 06-13-2008, 02:11 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
H/B that class was taught at one time in high school...had the married couple and the baby was a hen's egg that had to be cared for...carried to class, diapered...shared responsibility...must have gotten lost in the weekend beer drinking sex orgies that the kids enjoy now...to boring to do anything like that now...how 'OLD School...

Old 06-13-2008, 03:35 AM

yeah DK I didnt have that in home economics back in the day. We sewed our fingers together making a pillow, cooked mac n cheese from a box, and made a hideous decoupage lamp. That was pretty useless in hindsight.

IRL, I wish I could rewrite that curriculum to explain why its a very very VERY bad idea to put regular dish soap in a dishwasher, how to read cuisinart instructions in chinese because the english translated version stinks, how to maintain a pest free pantry + avoid food poisoning, and how to cook a large ham without turning it to a 12 lb cinder. What's a meat thermometer? It's still pink, it isn't done yet.

I had to find these things out the hard way, unfortunately, but then again I've never been known for my domestic skills. Martha Stewart would be appalled- it's clean but I'm a total spazz. The lucille ball of cooking who inspires starved men to put on an apron themselves, point to the door, and ask that I never return to the kitchen for anything involving a stove.
The exception; I'm permitted to make mac n cheese from a box.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:32 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
What's worth more than a divorce would be a college class required to make decisions about getting married in the first place. Catholics with pre- cana classes seemed to be doing ok there for a while (until they got preachy & judgemental)
CNA - Resources

Personally, I love the book that came out (wish I could remember the title) that was an amalgamation of 25yr+ married couple veterans giving advice. Having a sense of humor was unanimously #1. LOL
HL, I spend the better part of my day trying to sort out the social lives of 20-somethings that married their girlfriend/boyfriend of 30 minutes! I feel like Dr. Phil... but better looking of course. Taking them to the Bosun' locker for wall-to-wall counseling is frowned upon these days.

I had to do the Catholic brain washing seminars to marry my wife "in the eyes of the Catholic church". You can imagine their disdain when sked what my religion was and I informed them I was Atheist. The Preist didn't enjoy my argumentative nature, and I "failed". Yeah, I'm probably the only one to accomplish that feat. We ended up getting married in a Lutheran church, with a drunken Irish Monsingor there to make it Catholicly (did I just invent a new word?) legal.

Good thing my wife has a great sense of humor! Her mother did not.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:08 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
HintonBound...if its any consolation..my priest is an atheist too...but we, the congregation are not...call it a test of faith...I'm also Jewish...like a little mixture in my religion and really like the little Methodist church at the mouth of the hollow too...if this were a race sitiuation, I would probably be called one..at least by the other sides...
Comes from seeing those other religions overseas and finding out that those followers want peace too..its' a ying and yang thing...this religion business...kind of anit-dogmatic...if you know what I mean...

Old 06-13-2008, 08:08 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post

Good thing my wife has a great sense of humor! Her mother did not.
Hinton, did you ever win your mother in law back after that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia