Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:22 PM

404 posts, read 1,187,679 times

Advertisements

I miss good chinese food. Where is the best chinese restaurant in WV? Why do you think it's the best? I do not mind driving a few hours to get there, so anywhere in the state! There is one in Ripley that has really good food but the atmosphere isn't that great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 03:59 PM

4 posts, read 13,929 times
I highly recommend China King in Wayne County. I have lived in and eaten in Chinese restaurants from Chicago to San Francisco to NYC and this place is right up there with my best experiences!!! It is not a fancy place and not a place that will strike you visually - its simple, but the food - Yummy! It is family owned - the owners relocated from NYC's Chinatown. They are a husband and wife duo with two adorable little boys. My own children enjoy it so well, we drive an hour round trip at least twice a week to eat there or get take out. I recommend the noodle dishes and spring rolls. The wonton soup is to die for - literally the best I have ever had! Here's their info, in case you are up for a Chinese roadtrip China King Restaurant, 320 McGinnis Drive, Wayne, WV telephone: (304) 272-6688 Take care!

Old 01-13-2009, 04:12 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
The Evergreen at University Town Center in Morgantown has moved to the head of our line...wonderful buffet!

Old 01-13-2009, 05:36 PM

Thanks Melissa and David!

I've never been to Wayne County that I can recall. I'll have to look it up and see if we can make a weekend trip out of it.

I'm horrible about eating out when I go to Morgantown! I always crave food from "the flying fish" or Puglionis so that's where I usually eat. I have to go to Morgantown next week. I'll give the Evergreen a try!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:20 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
I don't care for Chinese so I don't have first-hand knowledge but in Charleston....

In the last month or so there was an article in the Chas newspaper (Sunday edition perhaps) about a Chinese restaraunt, I think it was the Main Tin Restaurant in South Charleston.
272 7th Avenue 744-2900
Anyone else remember that - it has something to do with their restautant and the family celebrating a newborn baby to carry on the tradition or something.

I also hear this place mentioned a lot:
Ichiban
(304) 720-7874
103 Capitol St, Charleston, WV 25301

Old 01-13-2009, 08:12 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
There is a hole in the wall Chinese place in West Union. When I went there they were breaking fresh green beans for a recipe. The food was superb, cheap but the atmosphere was like an old truck stop diner, which didn't bother me at all.

It was pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. And fresh- not from cans...

Old 01-13-2009, 08:47 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
In Huntington, the Chinese food at the Hibachi is good and it has a neat atmosphere due to being in an older building with tin ceilings and such. They also serve Japanese and have a nice Sushi bar as well. Taste of Asia also just opened a new restaurant here which serves Japanese, Chinese and Thai along with having a Hibachi. The Thai food is very tasty and the presentation is exquisite. The China Garden on 6th Ave has a great buffet with really good Crab Rangoon. I've also heard that the Happy Dragon on 4th Ave is really good but I've not eaten there myself. If you like foreign food in general, Nawab Indian cuisine is REALY good as well.

Tim

Old 01-13-2009, 09:14 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Default 10 of them in Morgantown

There are 10 Chinese restaurants in Morgantown. My personal favorite is The Peking House on Van Voorhis. It has a great ambience and fine Chinese food. Since you don't mind the drive... you won't mind taking your pocketbook.

Peking House Chinese Restaurant in Morgantown,* WV *|*1125 Van Voorhis Rd,* Morgantown,* WV

Old 01-13-2009, 09:53 PM

I do not have a lot of extra cash, but eating out is one of the things I don't mind spending extra on. I just try to not look at the wine list so that I don't go to overboard! It's my one splurge that I refuse to feel guilty about!

Three Run, are you talking about the new chinese restaurant in Harrisville? There isn't a Chinese restaurant in West Union that I know of. I live about 10 miles from there.

Actually, there is nothing in West Union...not even a working pay phone anymore! lol

CTMountaineer, ambience is part of the experience that I look for. There is a little place in Harrisville called Carolyns. Most people would walk out as soon as they got in the door. But when Carolyn comes to take your order, you don't mind the holes in the seats or that your table is a little wobbly! When you need to use the restroom, you have to walk through the kitchen, down some very scary stairs, sometimes it's really dark. Past all of the cleaning supplies, into a room that must only be 5 foot square...at least it feels like that! I'm surprised the health dept hasn't shut her down...though she did have to quit smoking while she was flipping your burger.
She's got to retire soon, she's up there in the years. I sure will miss that place when she's not there anymore!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have my favorite places to eat but I don't have a favorite Chinese restaurant on my list yet!

I'd like to write a book about restaurants in WV. If I had the money and the time, I'd eat at every restaurant in the state and write about it. Then publish it. Only because it hasn't been written yet, that I know of, and I need that book! lol

Old 01-13-2009, 09:59 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,158 times
Do know one thing...."Chinese" restaurants aren't really Chinese. If they were Chinese restaurants, they'd sell tons of seafood and nothing else. As such, they get their "American food created by Asian immigrants" from the same distributors and the only real difference is who prepares the food the best.

And interestingly, I can't stand the Peking House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia