Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 03:55 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,380,417 times

Advertisements

I have been seeing a lot of foxes in my area and have seen a couple in my back yard. I don't know too much about them except that they are cute. My question is will they attack a small dog? I have a little dog about the same size and now I am Leary about letting her out when it is dark and I can't see her, even though she is scared of everything she will give chase first before runny back with her tail between her legs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 05:06 AM

19,787 posts, read 22,688,984 times
I had one attack my coon-hound several years back. I managed to shoot it with my bow and Berkeley County came out and tested it and yup- rabid.

They are nice- but if they are NOT shy, run. Or shoot, lol.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:36 AM

19,534 posts, read 9,549,956 times
I was on my way to work (pre-Christmas time) about 4-ish in the morning, when I spotted what appeared to me as a fox. This was around Sheetz gas station, rts 9/480.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:45 AM

566 posts, read 1,579,594 times
I don't think a fox would attack unless cornered by a human or dog, or rabid. They are normally very skittish and leery themselves. If you see a brazen fox that stands it's ground, it may have rabies. If it bolts and disappears, it's probably healthy.

I ran the woods for decades and didn't see a fox until about three years ago, it was dashing off the road.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:13 AM

I've never seen a fox try to tangle with with a blue tick coon-hound and in broad daylight no less, so I knew it was afflicted. I was out practicing with my bow so my dog ran it right to me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Threerun533/36954cde.jpg (broken link)

Had to quarantine my dog for a few weeks becuase of it. Boy was I glad my kids weren't playing down in the woods that day.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:21 AM

380 posts, read 1,160,441 times
I have seen at least three different foxes this year. All have appeared healthy (especially compared to years past) and none have seemed aggresive. I think they may also get distemper which may cause behavior similar to rabies. Personally I think they are cute and I have watched many play right under my tree stand while hunting, but I didn't think it was too nice when one ran off with my guineas. I chased that fox around with a spotlight and my 357 all the while he was carrying my guinea that was squawking. But he was faster than I and I heard the last squawk and saw the reflection of his eyes about a hundred yards up a hill onto my neighbor's property. No more guineas running loose. Now the dog is charged with keeping the foxes away from my rooster.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:33 AM

I see them a lot where we hunt in Jefferson County. Almost every morning this past doe season I watched one running right up the treeline.

But that scraggly bugger I poaxed was definately touched. Interestingly enough the guy that came out and took the carcass (arrows and all) told me that fox are high carriers for rabies. If I recall he said possums are more likely infected with rabies, but the disease does not afflict them due to their prehistoric like nervous system. However foxes and possums often quarrel over dens, and the fox wind up contracting the disease.

I may not be remembering that quite right, but that's about the gist of what he was saying.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:51 AM

19,534 posts, read 9,549,956 times
If the fox was rabid, how much effort do they put into trying to bite another animal or person? I imagine if one was right in their pathway but would they, for example, sniff out animals/people who are outside at the time behind a 6ft fenced-in area?

Old 01-13-2010, 11:02 AM

From what I understand a rabid animals behavior is totally unpredictable.

Years ago there was a girl in Jefferson County that I believe was bitten by a rabid beaver of all things.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:29 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,380,417 times
After I seen the fox this morning while it was dark, my husband seen one again in the afternoon and it has only been a couple of days since I seen one. I would think they would be on the move so it couldn't be the same one hanging around could it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia