Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:16 AM

58 posts, read 136,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
I have been seeing a lot of foxes in my area and have seen a couple in my back yard. I don't know too much about them except that they are cute. My question is will they attack a small dog? I have a little dog about the same size and now I am Leary about letting her out when it is dark and I can't see her, even though she is scared of everything she will give chase first before runny back with her tail between her legs.
I wouldnt worry about the foxes unless they start coming close to your house or dog. They wont bother you. If you start seeing it more or seeing it closer it may be rabid and you will have to do something about it, but try to keep in mind you and your dog are not on its normal menu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 02:18 AM

58 posts, read 136,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I've never seen a fox try to tangle with with a blue tick coon-hound and in broad daylight no less, so I knew it was afflicted. I was out practicing with my bow so my dog ran it right to me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Threerun533/36954cde.jpg (broken link)

Had to quarantine my dog for a few weeks becuase of it. Boy was I glad my kids weren't playing down in the woods that day.
I can not believe that you posted this picture. Why would you do that? So it was rabid and you had to kill it. That is a shame.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:29 AM

19,788 posts, read 22,688,984 times
It's a picture of a dead, rabid fox.

I figured the one my both my kids standing over it looking at it would have been in worse taste, frankly.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:49 AM

175 posts, read 565,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
After I seen the fox this morning while it was dark, my husband seen one again in the afternoon and it has only been a couple of days since I seen one. I would think they would be on the move so it couldn't be the same one hanging around could it?
It is probable that it's the same one and it has a den nearby. As previously said, unless it's rabid you and your dog have nothing to fear. Foxes give birth in the very early spring so it has likely set up housekeping near you. When I lived in Illinois we had a fox den up in the culvert at the end of our driveway 40 yards from my house. They used that den for two years and raised two litters of Kits. never had a problem with them and the babies were fun to watch play. Very similar to kittens when they're small.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:19 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,310,687 times
The area where you live use to be home to lots of Foxes! Sad they didnt have any say when the developers came along!

Old 01-19-2010, 07:22 AM

19,536 posts, read 9,549,956 times
This is a tad off-topic, talking coyote vice foxes, but I saw in the Journal Junction this past week, that someone sighted a coyote.

I can see how they can resemble someone's pet, until you get up too close and then, it may be too late?
Photography: Fox , Wolf, and Coyote Pictures - Photos=

Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 AM

175 posts, read 565,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
This is a tad off-topic, talking coyote vice foxes, but I saw in the Journal Junction this past week, that someone sighted a coyote.

I can see how they can resemble someone's pet, until you get up too close and then, it may be too late?
Photography: Fox , Wolf, and Coyote Pictures - Photos=
There are a lot more coyotes in West Virginia than most people know about. I've seen several here in Jackson County in the river bottoms. Much like the foxes, they are not a danger to humans unless they are rabid. If they're not sick there's not much chance of getting very close to them.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:09 AM

Well, what if they're hungry [trying to feed any of their offspring too] ?
I've heard how they will try to go after small dogs, even if you're with your pet.

After reading this article of a coyote who sprang on this man's little dog in his presence, it does have me a bit apprehensive.
Coyote attacks another dog again in south Lee» Naples Daily News

Old 01-19-2010, 11:20 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,310,687 times
Foxes & Coyotes only eat pets or come close to people when hungry. We still have lots of their main meals still around. So I dont think you need worry.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:49 AM

Whew, tks. That's a relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia