Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:08 PM

13 posts, read 52,139 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my family and I are looking to move to the Boone, Blowing Rock, Lenoir area of NC. We are moving from TX. I am looking to move to a mountainous area to have a life of self sustainability and beautiful surroundings. I will be homeschooling my daughters as they get older and my husband has a master's in education. I guess my concern is will we be treated badly by locals due to our skin color? WE are very religious christians and have warm, great personalities and hope to be at least somewhat excepted.

Thxs for any feedback on what to expect in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 02:21 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
I can't speak for those areas, though they are probably fine.

I do know Brevard historically had a sizable black (for a small mountain town) population. Moms Mabley, the first black woman to have a solo stand-up comedy act, was born there in 1897.

Mom's Mabley, comic pioneer | African American Registry

I'm sure someone on this board can give you specific advice about the high country.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:38 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey's mom View Post
Hi all, my family and I are looking to move to the Boone, Blowing Rock, Lenoir area of NC. We are moving from TX. I am looking to move to a mountainous area to have a life of self sustainability and beautiful surroundings. I will be homeschooling my daughters as they get older and my husband has a master's in education. I guess my concern is will we be treated badly by locals due to our skin color? WE are very religious christians and have warm, great personalities and hope to be at least somewhat excepted.

Thxs for any feedback on what to expect in the area.
As long as you are Christians you'll be in like Flynn

Seriously, THAT is much more important than your skin color. You will of course be in the minority moreso than you may be used to right now, but will not be the only black family around either. You BIGGEST problem will be jobs, or does your hubbys come with you?

Old 06-24-2011, 03:06 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
I don't think the OP was asking which town in WNC has a sizeable black population or about the job outlook. She was asking will they be welcome.

I just got home from a few weeks in the mountains and like almost every time I go the lack of diversity is noticeable. I too would be interested to see someone weigh in on this topic. But I will say that it makes me sad that someone has to even ask this question.

But FYI to the OP, Lenior is not really "in the mountains." When I first began my quest for a home in the mountains I kept finding really affordable homes in this certain area. One was even on Blowing Rock road. I was ready to move to Blowing Rock ASAP. lol. I got all excited until someone told me that Lenoir is not in the mountains and that you lose elevation quickly as you go down 321. It seems the prices go down dramatically as the elevation does.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:35 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
I live in Boone, and have lived in the Waynesville area, as well as the Murphy area. Out of those three places, I would say Murphy was the least accepting of newcomers - any newcomers regardless of skin color. Boone is a great place, very friendly for the most part. Becoming active in your church would definitely help you make friends quicker. There are also homeschooling groups in both Boone and Waynesville, that could help, as well. Actually, Waynesville is very close to Asheville, where there is a huge homeschooling group. In any of these towns, you will absolutely be in the minority, but because of the University in Boone, there are more people of color here.

Personally, I enjoy Boone much more than any of the other towns, although one of the things I miss about Waynesville is the proximity to Asheville and the thing I miss about Murphy are the beautiful lakes to swim in. Boone gets much more snow than either of the other places, with Waynesville coming in second. Cost of living is more in Boone, followed closely by waynesville. Housing prices are significantly lower in Murphy, but so are job prospects.

I know you didn't ask about the other towns, but thought I would mention them because they are WNC mountain towns, too. I have spent a lot of time in Burnsville, also, even though I haven't lived there. I've tried to hit the main points, but if there is something else you want to know, feel free to ask.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:01 PM

172 posts, read 477,232 times
never noticed any real race Issues when i was in school, or at work among co workers....

"As long as you are Christians"

not a Christian, and never had any problems with other people around here, most treat me the same as before after i tell them im not...

Old 06-24-2011, 07:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-hiker View Post
never noticed any real race Issues when i was in school, or at work among co workers....

"As long as you are Christians"

not a Christian, and never had any problems with other people around here, most treat me the same as before after i tell them im not...
Yeah, but you're talking Asheville, right? Asheville is a little more religiously diverse than other mountain areas. Heck, there are even Wiccans there

Old 06-24-2011, 08:27 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
There is religious diversity in a lot of WNC, including Murphy,Sylva, Waynesville and Boone. There are Unitarian Churches, Pagan services, synagogues, etc. Granted the vast majority identify as Christians, but there are still choices in most communities, or at least access to choices within afairly close distance.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:24 PM

172 posts, read 477,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yeah, but you're talking Asheville, right? Asheville is a little more religiously diverse than other mountain areas. Heck, there are even Wiccans there
nope, Waynesville....and i personally know some Wiccans here in Waynesville

Regardless of Religion, i dont think you will have Many Race issues here in the mountains

Last edited by WNC-hiker; 06-24-2011 at 09:33 PM..

Old 06-25-2011, 07:49 PM

13 posts, read 52,139 times
I thank you all for your honest input, and I hope I did not offend anyone with my question. I have lived in areas with great diversity and as I looked at the lack of diversity in the areas noted, being black and knowing that there is some rasicism still alive in some areas I became a little concerned, not so much for me but my children. Thank you all again and please pray for my husband to find a job in the areas noted.

God Bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina