Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:50 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,321,135 times

Advertisements

second NGA suggestion

Brown Mountain area is just weirdly creepy to me and I avoid it myself. P.S. I am a WNC native and not particularly superstitious but I just stay away.

and agree there are a lot of human toys that spoil the quiet in that part of WNC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 11:24 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,618,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
second NGA suggestion

Brown Mountain area is just weirdly creepy to me and I avoid it myself. P.S. I am a WNC native and not particularly superstitious but I just stay away.
Brown Mtn Lights...have heard of them, haven't been to it to try and see them.

Maybe the OP will do a few nights on that little knoll, (~2300 ft elevation), and tell us about them, or post some pics.

Brown Mountain Lights | Western NC Attractions

Brown Mountain Lights

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_M...North_Carolina)

Old 03-12-2014, 11:35 AM

293 posts, read 373,679 times
Cool I had no idea about these.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:19 AM

729 posts, read 1,506,450 times
Max Patch in Madison County is one of our favorite places to hike. It's a Big Bald so you will have plenty of stargazing at night.
The Coleman Boundary, Part of Pisgah National Forest is closer in. It's at the end of Dillingham Road in Barnardsville. Plenty of mountain rivers and places to camp.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:48 PM

48 posts, read 76,783 times
So ive gotten a chance to go backpacking last weekend and fishing this weekend and may I say Im a bit disappointed. Both activities were a bit crowded for my taste, somehow I ended up in some ones backyard and although the mountains were great awesome vew and all but nothing really breathtaking in my opinion but ill try again in pnf next week if possible.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:12 AM

5 posts, read 10,015 times
If you go to Zillow and search for the area you want to go hiking, you can find out how many homes are actually in the area. I found it enlightening, because they're hidden in trees on Google Maps but pop up with Zillow's arrows. If you're hiking along parkland and know the direction you want to go and aren't sure of park boundaries v. private property, chose a house on the Zillow map, click on it and go to the bottom map for the property. Private parcels of land will be sectioned off on that map, and you can zoom along and look for places to avoid. I do this a lot for my property searches along rivers where I want to fish. So much of it private! National Park trails will be marked on these maps, and sometimes they're surrounded by private property. I find it very informative when I'm looking for relative isolation.

I'll bet Zillow never thought it'd be a tool to find out where houses are not!

Old 03-31-2014, 05:27 AM

5 posts, read 10,015 times
I forgot to add, when you're on the main map of the area, choose to see all homes, including sold, etc., by choosing every color arrow from the box at top. You'll still only see the homes they have records of, and sometimes that's only 60-80%, depending upon the area. You'll see that from the bottom detail map of a specific property when you see homes with no arrows at all. It usually means they haven't changed hands in something like 20 years or more.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:00 AM

81 posts, read 87,446 times
Of course the Appalachian Mountains are not going to be as picturesque, high, and rugged as the western mountains because they are much older and all worn down. Part of their beauty now lies in lovely white crystal sand deposits on the Gulf of Mexico shores.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:31 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatwood View Post
Of course the Appalachian Mountains are not going to be as picturesque, high, and rugged as the western mountains because they are much older and all worn down. Part of their beauty now lies in lovely white crystal sand deposits on the Gulf of Mexico shores.

Much more serene and welcoming ... they draw you in with the charm. The French Broad River (I was told) is the oldest river in the world. If true, I find that amazing.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:56 PM

48 posts, read 76,783 times
Although the history behind this mountains is very interesting its not all that challenging to me the hidden treasures are that great IMHO but I just took on some trails I found online. While talking to a co worker about it he agreed but him being a local native and a fellow adventure seeker offered to show me some awesome trails known by locals. So im not knocking it yet lets see what wnc has to offer in the great outdoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina