Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 01:05 PM

200 posts, read 359,271 times

Advertisements

Just a curious question: for those that are half-backs, splitting their time between WC and FL, is there a period of adjustment for you upon returning to either of the areas? With the elevation of the mountain areas versus the flat land of FL? Maybe it is a silly question, but the areas are so different from each other.

Presently, DH and I are in Raleigh (29 years this weekend and still love NC!). Originally from New England. Both have the 4 seasons, albeit NC seasons are milder. And deciduous trees. I love the mountains (we've been many times over the years, favorite is seeing it on the back of our motorcycle) , DH loves FL. Getting on toward retirement in about 5 years. And getting ready to make some decisions on where to land for those years. A friend mentioned going the "half-back" route.

Again, just curious. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 01:39 PM

12,635 posts, read 32,123,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftyforlife View Post
Just a curious question: for those that are half-backs, splitting their time between WC and FL, is there a period of adjustment for you upon returning to either of the areas? With the elevation of the mountain areas versus the flat land of FL? Maybe it is a silly question, but the areas are so different from each other.

Presently, DH and I are in Raleigh (29 years this weekend and still love NC!). Originally from New England. Both have the 4 seasons, albeit NC seasons are milder. And deciduous trees. I love the mountains (we've been many times over the years, favorite is seeing it on the back of our motorcycle) , DH loves FL. Getting on toward retirement in about 5 years. And getting ready to make some decisions on where to land for those years. A friend mentioned going the "half-back" route.

Again, just curious. Thanks.
Just to clarify, are you talking about being a snowbird? This would mean that you'd live half the time in FL and half the time in NC? I am originally from PA, lived in FL for 13 years and moved up this way four years ago. To be more specific to Greenville, SC and recently purchased a home in Asheville. I am considered a half backer. Anyhow, I don't have any adjustment issues going back and forth from both places when I get to visit FL. As a matter of a fact, I would love to be a snowbird if I could If you are talking about being a snowbird, I'd say go for it if you can.

Btw, I like your means of sightseeing

Old 08-31-2017, 01:57 PM

Yes, I guess I mean snowbird. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2017, 01:57 PM

789 posts, read 790,418 times
I've been a full timer for 20 years but have to say I noticed no issues going back to visit naples fl . Might depend more on elevation and health for some . I live just under 3000ft and work would take use to 5000 ft + many times but never considered this high elevation even for a old fart but I never smoked ether . If you can swing the " half back" thang , go for it . I don't care to go back south for more than 5 days to a week at a time ! You can get spoiled living a more rural life style and makes city life or simply any developed area seem like a waist to me and why I moved up here .

Old 08-31-2017, 03:21 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,635,790 times
Not a 'half back' in the usual sense of the term; we moved from metro NY to our Waynesville home in Sept 2001.

We spent 4 years here full time, and got the '4 year award' for living at 4800 ft elevation, and 'enjoying' those much colder winters from 2001 through late 2005. Winter at this elevation is as long/maybe colder than we had in NY, 800 miles 'north'.

Bought a golf course community house in North Naples area and did 8 winter seasons there. Got tired of 'Naples' and bought a new golf course community home in Venice area, and have spent the past 4 winter 'seasons' there at our EscapeWinterHouse.

If one chooses to do the two house situ, and can afford it, it is a good life style but with some considerations, imo:
-We have two sets of friends/club friends et al. We have 'more/better' friends here at our mtn situ because we were here longer, we were here full time for 4 years, and we spend 7+ months 'here' vs only 5 months in FL.

-The Paper Chase of bills coming in for two houses; we do autopay on several, but two sets of full utilities, insurances for stuff, mail, etc can feel sort of never ending. We use the simple USPS hold/forward and it works OK. Some choose to use the special weekly batch from one house to another.

-Maintenance: unless one has a condo in both places, SFHs tend to get some wear and tear, and most SFHs don't 'like' being completely or nearly totally 'shut down'. And, SFHs require a trusted occasional house watcher or good neighbor to give them some TLC, while one is gone for months.

-Cars: where to title/reg, leave one at one house, etc. Not insurmountable, but a consideration.

-Shutting down/opening up one house or the other: most SFHs are not turn key. Some condos are easier, but we aren't condo people.

-I am in decent shape and walk 15k to 20,000 steps a day & 30 - 60 'flights of stairs' equivalent, here at our Mtn home. I walk about the same daily at our SW FL house, (few 'stairs', however), but at 70, I can feel the diff when I get home from FL, here at 4800 ft elevation vs having been at sea level for 5 months. It takes me a couple days to get back in the groove. I feel I lead a much more 'vigorous' lifestyle here in the Mtns vs SW FL, partly due to more 'yard work' here, outside doing stuff all day long, and trudging around/breathing at this altitude vs sea level and our very suburban house there. Less active people and lower elevation people may not feel much change.

-I like SW FL. My wife loves SW FL. I would like to be at our Winter house for Dec through March, but we do longer, per my CEO.
The 'change' of climate, change of scenery, very different topo and lifestyle is a nice change. It is much more suburban/crowded in FL vs western NC. It is a much older crowd, as we have many younger friends here vs FL.

I doubt I could live full time or even much of the hot months, eg May through Oct, in SW FL, but everyone has their own bag. I could live here at our Mtn home full time again, if I had to.

-Even with a low effort house/condo here/there, packing up, shutting down, loading car(s) and migrating is not like taking a drive for the day. The Migration Process becomes more standardized, but we get older/less physical each year, fwiw.

-Cost: no getting around it. Two houses, maybe two clubs, (of some kind, golf or social or boating), two sets of RE taxes, utilities, et al cost money. Some people move to FL live in 1000 sq ft condo, eat the 4:30 left over specials at the diner, etc., and think they went to Valhalla. Not for us, but I understand different budgets.

Not a lifestyle maven, but I might recommend renting a few weeks here in western NC, (Autumn is spectacular, but more crowded and more pricey), and then maybe rent a place in FL, (big state, where to go? Good luck!), and try that lifestyle out.

Long version, but hope our experience is good info for you, and others considering a two house situ.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 08-31-2017 at 04:42 PM..

Old 08-31-2017, 04:30 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,832,059 times
I am not sure what you are asking, but we moved up here to 4400 feet after living in Raleigh for over 30 years. There was a big adjustment to the elevations when it came to hiking up hills/mountains for me. I was a jogger and walker for all those years in Raleigh and I was totally winded for the first month I lived here when I was out walking or hiking. I climbed Mt. Pisgah a few months after arriving and made it all the way up, but I can't lie, it wasn't easy. Rather humbling actually. LOL

Old 08-31-2017, 08:28 PM

These responses are just why I come to CD for insight. I was looking for feedback from people who are dual residents (yes, snowbirds, beckycat).

motordavid: Exactly the info I was wanting. We have a houseboat home on a large lake. It can be used year round. It is our 2nd home, but close enough that we do not think of it as having dual residency. I get the whole maintaining 2 places: from linens to food, to tools and electronics. We are not condo people either. Like our space and privacy.

And I was wondering about the change in elevations between living at 3000 + feet for months and then sea level and back again.

Great info!

Old 09-01-2017, 10:29 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,229,640 times
I started out in 2005 as a duel resident and went back to fl for 2 winters and asked myself..."what am I doing?" I LOVE living in the mountains and I can't be 'in love'....lol...with 2 men or 2 houses at 1 time!!!!! For me it wasnt the 'best of both worlds' it was a yearning as if I were in a long distance relationship...I LOVE my 1886 farmhouse, the 4 seasons, the snow...I havent been back to fl since I sold my house there and have no desire to go back...EVER...I have everything I ever dreamed of right here in the mountains

Old 09-02-2017, 05:23 AM

789 posts, read 790,418 times
LFL If your reasonably healthy and lungs are not lugged up from smoking you may not even notice the elevation change . Now walking up hill maybe a challenge !

Old 09-02-2017, 08:13 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,151,093 times
We've found "snowbirding" is much easier in an RV and a house vs two houses. If for some reason we don't want to, or can't go we just park the RV and stay in the mountains or in Florida. It is also much more economical...And bonus... if we don't want to go to either we can head in a totally opposite direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina