Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 05:28 AM

27 posts, read 81,104 times

Advertisements

Hi
I would love to get any info on experiences in Asheville. We live in CT now, am considering relocating. I'm worried about schools, crime--but I hear it's beautiful. Would appreciate any input. I've really enjoyed reading this forum.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 10:44 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
My mother lives in a nearby town, so I've been to Asheville several times. It's ok, but I can't think of any burning superlative to describe Asheville.

I know, it's in the Blue Ridge Mountains, the pictures on-line look gorgeous, but the city itself is just no big deal. It also has a surprising amount of crime (Hashville is it's nickname). Schools are just so-so compared to CT.

Whenever my wife and I travel, we have a habit of falling in love with wherever we are. Asheville left no impression.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:44 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Think of a Bristol sized city in the mountains with a liberal bohemian feel (Head shops, pottery shops, organic shops) about it and then nothing around you for 2-3 hours drive. That's Ashville. It's not like New England with villages and small towns and cities ever so many miles with old colonials strewn about along the way.

Nice place to visit if you live in Charlotte or Greenville, but not someplace I would want live. I would go stir crazy.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:55 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
I don't really see how a nickname of "Hashville" would mean a town is high in crime. Did you notice any violence/muggings/gang wars when you were in town?

Asheville is a nice, friendly city and the surrounding area is gorgeous.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:41 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I don't really see how a nickname of "Hashville" would mean a town is high in crime. Did you notice any violence/muggings/gang wars when you were in town?
From the NORML website (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws): (12 May 2004 web maint.) Asheville, North Carolina, USA , dominated by the Federal Courthouse, is sprouting up GROW SHOPS. There are also head-shops which sell paraphanelia like bongs, pipes, "how-to" books on growing pot, roach clips, papers, etc., etc. In other words, Asheville (Hashville) is looking a lot like Amsterdam, Holland.

Without much effort you can research crime stats by city and yes, Asheville is up there.

If someone is worried about schools and crime, they have children, and these are valid concerns for any parent.

Asheville is pretty in a bland, generic sort of way, nothing like New England, and yes the people I met were all friendly. Maybe they were all high.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:57 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,433,232 times
Try posting this on the N.C forum

Old 03-09-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post

Asheville is a nice, friendly city and the surrounding area is gorgeous.
Perhaps it's all relative but I found the surrounding area just "okay" at best. A bit poor South in some regards.

To each his own I guess.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:01 PM

6 posts, read 36,433 times
oh no, not pot smokers! thank god you have none of that in the NE..

Old 04-01-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbackalso View Post
oh no, not pot smokers! thank god you have none of that in the NE..
I can't really think of a NE city dedicated to head shops and white people with dread locks walking around with half baked looks on their face which is the feel and reality of Hashville. MAYBE Brattleboro comes close but not really.

I for one know it's out there but would never want to live in a city that has it so central and in your face.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:49 AM

639 posts, read 2,711,626 times
Weed should be the least worry a city should have. At least it isn't crack or Meth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina