Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:14 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudette Collins View Post
One Saturday afternoon, last fall...
I guess for some it only takes one afternoon to decide against an entire region. I feel for your husband, stuck in a car for two hours every day. Consider how many areas there are that are closer to his work than Morganton.

I know folks that have Asheville addresses, that never venture downtown. There are folks in every city I've every lived in that avoid their downtown for one reason or another. The point is that Asheville is bigger than one area. It's incredibly diverse in the atmosphere between, say, East Asheville and South Asheville, Weaverville and Fletcher, etc.

And drugs in schools? Really? In an American public school??

Old 09-06-2007, 06:31 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudette Collins View Post
My husband is from Asheville. We got married last year (October) and I had the pleasure of going "downtown". I am from Morganton and visited a cousin from time to time back in the early or mid eighties. Asheville was a very nice town and I loved to visit then. My husband had told me that I wouldn't believe how much it had changed...he just wanted to see the expression on my face! One Saturday afternoon, last fall, we drove through that down town area. I could not believe what I saw. This was around 4:00 in the afternoon. I saw people strung out on drugs, prostitutes, and a lot of "freaks". Those people definitely looked nasty. There are bars everywhere you look. Maybe if they'd shut down some of those "freak" hangouts, those people would leave. Maybe they'd consider getting a job. My husband, thank goodness, didn't expect me to move there so he's here in Morganton with me. I feel bad because he has to commute to Asheville to work everyday. I told him that we'd move closer to Asheville but please not in Asheville. I've heard that drugs were a problem in Asheville's schools too. I have an eleven year old daughter and I wouldn't expose her to that way of life. I'll take small town America anyday over that!
The Asheville Metro Area is comprised of Buncombe, Henderson, Madison and Haywood Counties. Traditional values are the norm outside the downtown area. Close to the city, but not too close. Although I live 25 miles from Downtown Asheville, I haven't been there since July of 1968. No need.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:58 AM

558 posts, read 2,248,820 times
Maybe the truth about all this is somewhere in the middle.

Every school in America--including small town schools, we know from personal experience--has experienced drugs. My husband works for a small, excellent private school, and they have some sort of drug situation come up every year. It's not the schools--it's our culture.

We are contemplating a move to Asheville, fully aware of the problems described in this thread. Our reasons: to live outside a moderate-sized city, to enjoy the mountains, to live in a smaller house now that our children are all grown, to kayak and hike, to have the windows open at night during the summer (rather than A/C), to listen to live music, to "stop and smell the mountains".

All cities have their own problems. When in downtown Asheville, we remember that, and don't let the actions of a few ruin our day. As far as the art not really being art, and the questionable culture--we have experienced the "real thing", and know where to find it if we need to. Some our favorite "art" is fairly lowbrow, anyway - lol, so no problem.

We will be living simply in a resale house, paid for by whatever jobs we can get--no need for a McMansion; been there done that. We will also be giving back to the community by volunteering for causes we believe in, like controlling rampant development and the Humane Society.

It's easy to sit at a computer and diss a place, but more effective to stay positive and work to effect change. We have found our NC house, and everthing is in place--but on hold while we wait for our FL house to sell. So, in the meantime, we visit our future city and hope for the best.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:53 PM

3,294 posts, read 9,187,103 times
My husband's cousin lives in Candler right outside of Asheville and HATES going into the city. Parts of Asheville are still fine but not downtown. I went to school there in the late 60's. Now, I wouldn't move into the downtown area if you paid me. I WOULD move near Asheville. Liz

Old 09-08-2007, 09:59 AM

72 posts, read 77,950 times
Default wow...

I don't live in Asheville, but I must say that some of the attitudes in this thread are disturbing. Statements like "I hate dreadlocks...makes me sick" and "...gays who like public displays of affection" seem to be quite narrow-minded. I guess if you find these things so terribly disturbing, then you will probably want to stay away from any diverse major metropolitan area. Certainly never make a trip to DC where you may actually see dreaklocks even in non-freakish settings like a corporate boardroom. And the gays have even been known to hold hands or share a kiss, especially around Dupont Circle. Double !

Old 09-08-2007, 10:11 AM

3,294 posts, read 9,187,103 times
Quote:
gays who like public displays of affection
I'm not really fond of anyone going beyond holding hands in public. There is a time and place for that and it isn't on the street. A quick kiss on the street or a quick hug when you meet or say good bye or someone holding hands is acceptable regardless of who they are but beyond that..GET A ROOM!

As far as dreadlocks, I realize it is a custom is a different country but I don't have to like it any more than I have to like someone sticking a plate in their lower lip like they do in some African tribes (or is it South American?) Liz

Old 09-08-2007, 10:41 AM

72 posts, read 77,950 times
Dreadlocks are certainly not just a custom in a different country. There are many Americans of various ethnic descent that have dreadlocks for a variety of reasons, some for spiritual reasons, some as an homage to their heritage, some because they simply find them to be a beautiful representation of themselves and as a means of not conforming to this society's concept of beauty based on western ideals. The reasons are far too many to delve into on this thread. Just like anything else, there are also people that have dreadlocks simply because they view it as the style of the moment or something different or cool trend. That's their choice. And no, you certainly don't have to like them. If you don't like them, fine, don't get them for yourself. But in the post I was referring to (and I realize this was not posted by you), the poster said that dreadlocks make them sick. That can be a quite offensive statement for people who have dreadlocks for reasons that go far beyond a mere hairstyle. As for the public display of affection, I did not see any mention of the level of affection that was being displayed. The post I read specifically pointed out "the gays" who like public displays of affection. That could refer to any behavior that is construed as affection. I am not here to change anyone's personal views, as mine certainly will not be changed by what I've read here. I am simply presenting another view of the examples that were given.

Last edited by mieux; 09-08-2007 at 10:56 AM..

Old 09-09-2007, 06:13 AM

187 posts, read 1,022,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
I'm not really fond of anyone going beyond holding hands in public. There is a time and place for that and it isn't on the street. A quick kiss on the street or a quick hug when you meet or say good bye or someone holding hands is acceptable regardless of who they are but beyond that..GET A ROOM!

As far as dreadlocks, I realize it is a custom is a different country but I don't have to like it any more than I have to like someone sticking a plate in their lower lip like they do in some African tribes (or is it South American?) Liz
I can't believe how ignorant some people are on this board.

Lip-plating and dreadlocks are cultural traditions that have been around a lot longer than you have been wearing your fannny pack and driving your SUV, I guarantee.

As for gays being affectionate in public, it's pretty easy to tell that your issue isn't with a man and a woman kissing in public. I've lived in this town for quite a while and I haven't seen a whole lot of lesbians or gay guys doing it in the middle of the streets. In fact, I believe they might get a room when it gets to this stage.

By the way, the scary plate-lipped people can be either Africans or South Americans:

Lip plate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by vandemusser; 09-09-2007 at 06:24 AM..

Old 09-09-2007, 09:45 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
There is nothing "cultural" about the dreads, lip plating seen on the streets of freakville, it is done for one purpose, shock value, with the intent to offend the establishment.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:54 PM

506 posts, read 1,475,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
There is nothing "cultural" about the dreads, lip plating seen on the streets of freakville, it is done for one purpose, shock value, with the intent to offend the establishment.
Agreed. The young white trustafarians in Asheville are certainly not doing it for culture or religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina