Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 09:03 AM

16 posts, read 50,816 times

Advertisements

Tell us what you really think????? LOL

Seriously, it's always been a little weird but has accelerated in the last 5 years. What draws others, weather etc, also draws homeless etc. I think it all started when the thong wearing guy ran for mayor and it was covered in Rolling Stone. Freakin' Asheville was born. We have really good services for homeless and downtrodden, they live on the info pipeline too.

Carolinawit

Old 09-21-2007, 02:55 PM

20 posts, read 67,422 times
Default oh my....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
Agreed. The young white trustafarians in Asheville are certainly not doing it for culture or religion.
Where to begin....

First, do you know that some "white" people in Asheville, as in other areas who wear their hair dreaded are not trust fund recipients? This term is offensive and based I believe, mostly on ignorance.

Second, are you aware of the religion(s) that encourage wearing dreadlocks?

Third, and perhaps this is a bit off point, are you aware some people look very white and (especially in the south) have African lineage?

Who is to judge what is cultural or religious to another?

Old 09-21-2007, 03:09 PM

20 posts, read 67,422 times
Default well said

It isn't just in Dupont anymore. Even in more conservative Fairfax, VA the homophobic line is beginning to fade.....As a straight mom, I among many other parents helped to welcome the gay-straight alliance (voluntary clubs to help reduce hate) into the public school system. As far as I know, FCPS still remains in the top 5 (if not 2) districts in the country. 'Wonder if there is a correlation between excellence in education and acceptance????? What a concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mieux View Post
I don't live in Asheville, but I must say that some of the attitudes in this thread are disturbing. Statements like "I hate dreadlocks...makes me sick" and "...gays who like public displays of affection" seem to be quite narrow-minded. I guess if you find these things so terribly disturbing, then you will probably want to stay away from any diverse major metropolitan area. Certainly never make a trip to DC where you may actually see dreaklocks even in non-freakish settings like a corporate boardroom. And the gays have even been known to hold hands or share a kiss, especially around Dupont Circle. Double !

Old 09-21-2007, 09:05 PM

59 posts, read 226,327 times
Intelligent artsy people, spiritual energy vortexes???????? Me and hubby are ready to fly our freak flag! Unfortuanelty for us we will have to locate an hour east and visit until we can retire in 7 years (our kids grow old and no more custody sharing yay!) Hopefully before then we will buy something there for weekends and summers.

As for where the donation boxes went - most likely they were carried away by the squatters the very same night they were put up and cleaned out! Crazy idea lol!!!! Better to bring a loaf of bread to your downtown and toss slices around as they beg! j/k

By the way anyone know if are there gluten-free places there? Im in an alternative artsy type town in surburbian NY and they are mixed in with the organics.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:22 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblupink View Post
Intelligent artsy people, spiritual energy vortexes???????? Me and hubby are ready to fly our freak flag! Unfortuanelty for us we will have to locate an hour east and visit until we can retire in 7 years (our kids grow old and no more custody sharing yay!) Hopefully before then we will buy something there for weekends and summers.

As for where the donation boxes went - most likely they were carried away by the squatters the very same night they were put up and cleaned out! Crazy idea lol!!!! Better to bring a loaf of bread to your downtown and toss slices around as they beg! j/k

By the way anyone know if are there gluten-free places there? Im in an alternative artsy type town in surburbian NY and they are mixed in with the organics.
Is there an actual, physical "freak flag?" Because if there is I want one, and I am going to fly it proudly! Maybe I'll get a t-shirt, too! Yes, I am one who believes that it goes hand-in-hand with education, acceptance and higher consciousness in general. Once one looks past the "costumes" and "weirdos" there is definitely a prevailing philosophy of "live-and-let-live" here for the most part, and I love the emphasis on being "green" and environmentally friendly, with fine quality and organic food, healthy lifestyles, and access to all types of New Age health options and religions. Yup, it's my freaky cup o' tea, exactly!

skyblupink - I can't answer your question about the gluten-free restaurnats, but I bet you can find it, because this place has it all. You might try the Laughing Seed, that is a popular place for veggie/vegan food.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:31 AM

45 posts, read 133,953 times
Default Yay freaks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Is there an actual, physical "freak flag?" Because if there is I want one, and I am going to fly it proudly! Maybe I'll get a t-shirt, too! Yes, I am one who believes that it goes hand-in-hand with education, acceptance and higher consciousness in general. Once one looks past the "costumes" and "weirdos" there is definitely a prevailing philosophy of "live-and-let-live" here for the most part, and I love the emphasis on being "green" and environmentally friendly, with fine quality and organic food, healthy lifestyles, and access to all types of New Age health options and religions. Yup, it's my freaky cup o' tea, exactly!

skyblupink - I can't answer your question about the gluten-free restaurnats, but I bet you can find it, because this place has it all. You might try the Laughing Seed, that is a popular place for veggie/vegan food.
I want to be an Asheville freak someday!

Old 09-22-2007, 01:05 PM

558 posts, read 2,249,448 times
Yup - another Freak Flag Flyer right here! In fact, let's start our own group of fun, enlightened, accepting people - the 3 F's...Yeah, I know, there's got to be a better name, but anyway--that's the group I want to hang with!!

Old 09-22-2007, 07:00 PM

45 posts, read 133,953 times
We could start a FFF commune! An aging hippie farm would be cool, too.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:27 PM

558 posts, read 2,249,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasadenagirl View Post
We could start a FFF commune! An aging hippie farm would be cool, too.
HEY...who said anything about AGING??!!

Old 09-22-2007, 09:48 PM

59 posts, read 226,327 times
Thanks gypsychic, as long as ups delivers were usually ok, ordering flour and stuff...

anyway great idea i want a real freak flag and t-shirt! would be great for tourists.... maybe someone could come up with a great design at cafepress for now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina