Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2008, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,382 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the last stages of interviewing for a position that would re-locate my family to southeastern Wisconsin. I've been doing some digging for good places to live. I've also read some of the previous posts (got to admit - some of them made me very nervous). Currently, we live in the suburbs of Detroit. Our city is safe (my doors are unlocked most of the time), the schools are great, recreation is good and shopping is varied (I'm cheap and prefer Target to Macy's but I have choices here). I like where we are and would like to find something similar that won't be too far from where his office will be (New Berlin). Any ideas? Since we have 4 kids and I'm a stay at home mom, my choice will be based more on community safety, services and schools. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 05:17 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
Why not try looking at New Berlin? Seems the obvious choice.

http://www.city-data.com/city/New-Berlin-Wisconsin.html

Old 08-23-2008, 05:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
A price range might help.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 8,002 times
I am thinking about relocating to sherridan.are there any lakes nearby suitable for boating or is fishing primarily in streams and rivers ?
How about gun attitudes and laws ?where i reside now i enjoy shooting and hunting any time i want.my neighbors are always after me to control the local tree rat population and other critters.bigbuck

Old 08-23-2008, 06:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Do you mean Sheridan up by Waupaca? If so, there a handful lakes nearby, including a three-lake chain right outside of Waupaca. If you're out in the sticks on your own property and your neighbor's house isn't right nearby, nobody will care about shooting off your guns. Hunting is practically a religion in rural Wisconsin -- deer in particular are numerous enough to almost be a nuisance. Here is the DNR's website on hunting regulations and seasons and what-all.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:47 PM

151 posts, read 705,451 times
New Berlin is a great place to live with good schools as well. You pretty much have everything there that you need, too. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:20 PM

656 posts, read 1,309,712 times
congratulations for moving to WI i think you will really love it there.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 7,382 times
Price range shouldn't be too big of a deal (it's kind of a "big" promotion). But it's more the attitude that comes with higher prices. We live in a middle income area now and even if we stay here, we could move to a more expensive area but don't because we just don't seem to fit in. Like I said I'm more of a Target girl than Macy's. Just my husband and I are making a trip out in a couple of weeks to look around, so we'll start in New Berlin and move out from there. Thanks for the advice!

Old 08-25-2008, 02:02 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Michmom - you are going to want to move to Lake Country in Waukesha County. The schools there are wonderful. Target is there too for you. Oconomowoc is building a new outdoor mall with stores more in line with what you are used to. I moved here from Shelby Township. At first it was culture shock, everything seemed more cheap. Your Auto Insurance will be cut in half.

Lake Country does have some expensive housing but they for the most part are mid level income folks. It's all middle class to upper.

Look first to Pewaukee and Oconomowoc. Those are my favorites in Lake Country, look there first and then expand your search. I guarantee you this, you will LOVE it out there.

But there is no Mejiers any more. You will find Pick-n-Save and Piggly Wiggly to be sufficent places to shop. You could go the route of Brookfield if you want to live with the Upper Crust, but I recomend the Lake Country Area above all.

Any questions... feel free. I still miss Detroit. Big time. Shelby Twp was a good home to us and we had family out on Harsens Island so the trip across Marine City Highway was a regular run, (26 Mile Rd) but once you begin to enjoy the new scenery in Wisconsin, you'll LOVE it. Do you have any Children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin